An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana: The Debate

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by syrkt, Jan 14, 2015.

1. syrkt

syrkt Member

It is often debated over whether or not marijuana is good or bad for you. Without including any personal prejudice of my own, what are people's reasons for leaning more towards the acceptance or the dismissal of such a substance? And why is it so popular amongst today's youth while tobacco (a similar substance) is on a rapid decline?
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I believe most people's main dismissal for marijuana aka hemp/cannabis is due to false propaganda and ignorance - in contrast, most people's acceptance is from hyped propaganda and it's fashionable. I've seen a lot of cannabis smokers in my quarter plus century of life and most started doing it to fit into a crowd or assume it was cool to do as a lifestyle; the true people I know who smoke cannabis is because he/she is stressed out or require it for medical purposes, tangible and intangible reasons. It's popular with todays youth because it's still viewed by many as a anti-social or anti-authority activity, as in the past, and it most certainly has been influence not only by celebrities, media, external Governments, etc., but by parents too!

However, I am a advocate of decriminalizing marijuana aka cannabis/hemp use and possession, but I am not for legalized control of the plant.
  3. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

Marijuana has shown to lower peoples IQs my as much as 8 points. Decreasing their ability to problem solve, thus making life more difficult not only for themselves, but their loved ones too.

Tobacco is on decline due to the bad press it gets, and marijuana gets a lot of good (but false) press.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

For advanced medical conditions and the financial benefits, I approve of legalizing marijuana, even for recreational use. I'm very much against its use myself on a personal level, but there are more dangerous drugs out there. If someone wants to smoke a plant, then fine. We're only slowly starting to figure out the potential consequences of regular marijuana use, though.
  5. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that marijuana can help with a lot of medical issues people are having. It should be readily available just as any other medicine would be.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Morvack , there is a lot of information out there that says marijuana does not lower your IQ. Quite recently I was speaking to a youngster who was in awe of the fact that persons he see smoking all day at school are getting very good grades. Straight As in some cases.

Still I am not an advocate of it.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think most people dislike it because they are taught to do so. People are trained to believe I whatever what was input into them when they were growing up and back then, people mostly subscribed to the thought process of "if it's illegal, then it must be bad" whereas nowadays people are more open to questioning authority which I think is a better way to go about it, so instead of saying it the old way, people now are asking the same questions you are asking and I believe that in due time everyone will learn not to trust everyone else so much when it comes to deciding what is good and bad for them.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

There are some medical reasons why marijuana should be used. But that can be abused by recreational smoking. If you don't medically need it, then you shouldn't be smoking it.

But since it makes good business for some states, then it becomes legalized. Alcohol is legal because it is big business. What's next cocaine?
  9. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I think it should almost have a special status, something in-between good and bad. Its medicinal effects are clearly not in doubt, as is proven by its extensive use in pharmaceuticals. Additionally most of the negative effects that come with its consumption are down to the fact that people burn and smoke it, creating the carcinogens which can lead to all sorts of negative side effect such as emphysema and lung cancer. If we could find a way to cleanly consume it, perhaps we could negate those effects.

Its difficult to classify something that helps so many people who suffer chronic painful diseases as 'bad', and in any event, its effects on both the individual and society are not nearly as profound as other so drugs which are freely available legally.
  10. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

Do you mean information, as in actual scientific studies you can provide links to, or are you talking about news articles that claims to have links, but just link to other news sources ?
  11. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think smoking of any sort is bad for the lungs but I think marijuana is more useful than tobacco because it provides health benefits that the body can get without having to consume in a smoking form. Marijuana can be used to make tea or pills or even in food. I think marijuana is a herbal plant and it is only being consumed in the wrong way via smoking.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Everything you have mentioned. Pros and cons are rife on the internet. Make no mistake though, I am not a supporter of marijuana. I am happiest when people stay far from the drug.
  13. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I don't think weed is bad. It just becomes bad when other drugs get with it. There is a thing called medical marijuana, so how are you all going to react to that?
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The fact that more states in the US have now legalized the use of marijuana but only for medical purposes is a sign that it is becoming more and more accepted by the masses and open-minded lawmakers. It can help sick people get perky and eat, so I think there's really nothing wrong taking a bit of weed as long as it's prescribed by a doctor.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Tobacco should be on the rapid decline. Look at what harm it causes. There are quite a few people around here that still smoke.
    Acceptance or dismissal. The acceptance more or less is happening because of the conditioning of society to think it is medicinal. It is becoming legal, its almost legal. So they "think" its ok. Remember when alcohol was illegal. Does anybody wonder why? Doctors promoted cigarettes when they were on the rise. History repeats itself. Might be advantageous to pay attention to that. Dismissal, what for? What does anybody really need it for? I think I've probably heard it all. "I gotta have something." "something's going to kill me eventually." "it's natural. An herb man." "I work hard. I need a cool buzz." "It's good for you." Ok, well that's what was said about cigarettes in the beginning. Its good for you. Didn't turn out to be true in the long run. Does anybody really think that the researchers didn't know that cigarettes would give people cancer when it was first being pushed? Money, money people its all about money. The question is what is marijuana going to fund in the long run? Short term it is a side car for chemo. Ok. But the dispensaries are private. Big pharma doesn't have it. Why aren't the pharmaceutical companies growing it? Doesn't make much sense. But, but causing neurosis and psychosis. Behavioral problems. What's that? Psychiatry isn't it. This industry will benefit. Oh but it had nothing to do with the good old mari j right. Come on it is so strategic its not even funny.
  16. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

17. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I don't know a single person that has died from using marijuana in any form. The CDC estimates that 480,000 people die from smoking cigarettes in the United States each year. That right there is the end of the debate.
  18. rjs5248

rjs5248 Member

There is not enough research on marijuana to determine whether or not there are long term effects of usage. Tobacco has gotten a bad rap (for a good reason) but there have been many studies since it first became popular and the harmful effects are well documented, which is why manufacturers are required to post a warning label on all tobacco products. There are more studies coming out which suggest that marijuana produces many of the same negative health effects, including cancer, that smoking cigarettes does. I think once marijuana becomes completely legalized, there will be more literature on how it affects our health, and we may eventually see marijuana the way we see tobacco. Just a theory.