An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana use has doubled America

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Carnold23, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Since 2001 use of marijuana in adults has doubled in the US.
    What do you think are contributing factors to that?
    I think it is because a lot more information has been coming out about the health benefits of it. And I think that the social stigma is going down.
    I find it surprising that the use has gone up so much. I think that if it really does help people medically then maybe more people should be open to it. Not for using recreationally but maybe we should start to have more of an open mind towards it's medical uses.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana has attracted some media attention for a while now and all that talk about health benefits and other myths were good enough to convince more people to start using marijuana. An article I've just read however declares that as the number of people using marijuana rises so have the problems associated with marijuana use:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/marijuana-use-doubles-u-s-so-do-problems-n448616
    "While not all marijuana users experience problems, nearly three of 10 marijuana users manifested a marijuana use disorder in 2012-2013." That adds up to 6.8 million Americans . . .
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't think the statistics are too much different in the UK. I don't know if it's the same in the US but years ago marijuana on the streets was in manufactured forms like rocky, squidgy black, etc and mostly came in from foreign countries. These days, people are growing it themselves and smoking bud rather than processed forms. It's cheaper for them to buy seeds of genetically enhanced cross breed strains and produce high quality marijuana themselves.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

With the advance of hydroponics, marijuana can be easily cultivated locally. So there is much greater amount of it in relation to what there was four or five years ago. I am not putting to the side the fact that marijuana has had a completely different public view in relation to the past but the ease to obtain it now is greater.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon it could be due to the fact that quite a lot of people have used it for seizures and that has been reduced in children who suffer from seizures, and this can be good for those families who need it for the medical benefits and have more information about it now. It is something that the world has started to learn about which can be beneficial to mankind and if used properly for a good use it can help the people who are suffering, when the man made medicine is not helping them to get better or healed from the pain they suffer on a daily basis. It is surprising the use of this drug has increased and the government would want to tax people if this becomes fully legalized, and wonder what people would do then and may just get it illegally.
  6. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Use of marijuana has not doubled, reported use of it has doubled.
    Huge difference.
    Perhaps more people are saying they use it who didn't before.
    Maybe the ways they count users/non-users have changed.
    Stats can be a funny business.
  7. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Perhaps use of marijuana has not necessarily doubled, perhaps people who report using it has gone up, due to greater social acceptance and widespread media. I would say that while some doctors may prescribe medical marijuana, for most doctors the jury is still out. I think that while there may be some patients who truly benefit from it as medical treatment, I think that the majority use it recreationally.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think that is the case, I think its use is no longer seen as a huge taboo anymore :) Specially in the US and Europe. In some countries is still a bit of a taboo though, specially in third world countries, but I think in a couple decades those countries might catch up.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe the increase of marijuana use is due to its legality on some states. I heard in the news that marijuana is already legal on some states so I think more are trying it without being afraid of getting caught on those areas.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

Once something becomes socially accepted, most people will do it, no matter if it's harmful or not. Humans are nothing more than an upgraded monkey, and, as we all know, monkey see, monkey do. I've heard people say, "Oh, I would never wear a hat with a feather on it, it's fugly." Then, a new trend comes along, and guess what? There's the same person wearing the stupid hat with the feather on it. It's all about fitting in. Nothing scares a person more then being left out.
  11. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think it is due to the fact that the US government has seen the potential for marijuana to make a lot of money for them and so they have slowly stop spreading propaganda about marijuana being harmful and have done the opposite including the legalization in several states.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'm going to place my bet on it being a bad thing. There have been so many things like this that don't turn out good. Alcohol use to be illegal. Look at what that garbage has done to people's lives.
    Social stigma. Yeah there was a reason for that. Watch a person who smokes all the time and you notice how they are. I mean my friend who has a dispensary when she first opened it. She says to me, "no it's ok. Its all organic." I had said to her I couldn't smoke that stuff. Organic. This was the first time I ever heard anyone really push the organic envelope. Perhaps, perhaps it's ok. But I think for me because the medical industry has taken a hold of it. I'll pass thanks. It might be the only "natural" thing on the market that they can rake it in on. The tax is where the state will make money. You see big pharma has been itching to get as far into the herbal and homeopathic industry as they can. With their B12 injections that contains who knows what and their prescription strength Vitamin D that is derived from what? No disclosure probably. Its small print. But whatever, I'm sure their is ulterior motive.
    I think mostly the only thing I can see as a reason is money. Probably because it causes neurosis and psychosis. Erratic behavior. It can take quite some time for this to show up. Maybe up to 4 years or something like that. Complete delayed effect. So, I don't know what people are thinking. Good luck, it seems like mass mayhem to me.
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Alcohol and marijuana aren't even remotely comparable. Alcohol does far more damage to the body than marijuana does. The NIH has alcohol related deaths at about 88,000 per year in the United States. Guess how many marijuana related deaths there in the United States per year?
  14. JonnyMacdonald

Thousands!
    Well I mean thousands of deaths related to the fact that marijuana is illegal and those in the business of it's distribution will kill for many reasons.
    From what I read there are few, if any, deaths related to it's consumption or related to being high and doing something to get yourself killed.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This most certainly true, people have become much more open about it's consumption then in the past. It's not difficult to find videos on YouTube were people are asked openly if the smoke marijuana and they don't have problem saying yes. If you tried that 10 or 20 years ago, most people would never admit to it.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

Exactly. Not only are people more acceptance of it, in many places it's no longer against the law so people are not scared to be real and tell the truth.
  17. ConorMcGregor

ConorMcGregor Member

I think that it's actually getting legalized in certain areas is a huge part of the growth of marijuana users. In the 2000s, we had a lot more chances to study the effects of marijuana, and studies have shown that it's not as dangerous as people once thought, and that it actually has positive and medicinal effects with certain people. I think those are two major factors in the growth of marijuana users.

We are also in an age of information now, where it's easier for people to look up and learn anything, instead of only believing what they're taught. More people probably also admit to the usage than in the past also.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's to be expected since a number of states have already legalized marijuana use for both recreational and medical purposes. However, we have to qualify. Just because marijuana use has doubled in America that doesn't mean legalization has reduced national crime and drug addiction rates. Has the American society improved since legalization became widespread? Statistics may prove otherwise, you know.
  19. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Information and general advertisement of it (music, music videos, movies, series) have helped a lot on that and therefore as a matter of fact it will keep multiplying way more than normal, it is something that could not really be stopped that easy and I personally think it is al labout education and if your parents did a good job when educating you as well.
  20. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It might be even more than that if you add up all the deaths in the drug wars among cartels in Mexico, Latin America, and South America. It's easily in the hundreds of thousands. Just another reason to legalize it and to cut off the revenue stream that goes directly to these cartels.