An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Users Are 5 Times More Likely To Develop Alcohol Addiction

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Rainman, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

According to a study conducted by two New York Universities, people who smoke marijuana are 5 times more likely to develop alcohol addiction.

https://www.rt.com/usa/332874-marijuana-alcohol-addiction-study/
    The study also revealed that marijuana use increases the likelihood of existing alcohol disorders to continue over time.
  2. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I have never really been one to take these studies as anything definite, but this is certainly alarming, especially given that marijuana is so readily available these days that pretty much if you want to try it you can. I have done both and had issues with both and I can see a correlation. I am not sure what it is, I don't think it is complete causality though.
    Mara likes this.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I agree. I know a lot of weed smokers that do not even touch alcohol at all. And those that do say that they only drink booze, so that when their eyes turn red, it would be attributed to the alcohol and not to the weed.
  4. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I find studies like this hard to believe. I never really liked getting drunk that much and I would choose to smoke marijuana over it any day. I never really knew any of my friends to drink more just because they smoked marijuana either. I sometimes wonder how they get their results with these studies that they do. I think if you are going to drink then you are going to drink. I do not believe it has anything to do with the marijuana. Just one more bad thing about marijuana brought to light to try to keep it from being legalized.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that is because addictions can be connected to one another. I mean like it is common for those drinkers to also smoke and they both have the smoking and drinking addiction. It is because they think it is fun to be smoking and drinking in a party or session that they will have.
  6. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have not come across any evidence pointing to a correlation between alcohol and marijuana consumption. The latter tend to form closely knit groups since marijuana addiction is emotional. Some do dabble with alcohol but this is the exception not the rule. I think cigarettes predispose a person more to alcohol addiction. Most cigarette smokers invariably drink alcohol.