An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Vs Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sudarsan, May 31, 2015.

1. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

I've always asked my friends whether they prefer marijuana over cigarettes or the opposite. And, everyone has their own answers with their own plausible logic.

Personally, I have never been a fan of marijuana because I just couldn't enjoy the hallucinations. But, I've lived multiple years as a chain-smoker.

What do you lot think? Is smoking marijuana better than cigarettes or is it the other way round?
  2. Tryner

Tryner Member

Marijuana is definitely much, much healthier. It's not nearly as hard to quit and does not have as many long-lasting effects as tobacco. However, depending on where you are, the consequences of being caught with marijuana far outweigh any other advantages it has over nicotine. I'd choose marijuana if I was worried about my health, tobacco if I wanted to stay out of legal trouble. Luckily, we don't need to choose one or the other.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  3. Sudarsan

I guess you think marijuana is much healthier because it is a herb. I used to think marijuana is much healthier, but then I saw some friends so addicted to marijuana that they would leave their work and go for long hours for hunting it. They'd start talking in a not-so-normal way and i would wonder how they could change so suddenly. I've never seen any cigarette addict behaving in such a way before.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

What I understand is, either cigarettes or marijuana all have bodily effects. Nicotine from tobacco causes cancer that can cause death unlike marijuana. Many people have died, worldwide as a result of smoking tobacco. Cancer affects communities and this can be seen in communities where there are smokers. Or you can visit a nearest hospital and witness this. I need not to comfort you that tobacco is better.
  5. Devonne

Devonne Member

As a former marijuana and cigarette smoker, I would have to say that marijuana was easier to shake and actually helped me far better health wise than cigarettes. I have read many addiction articles and the newer information talks about how marijuana isn't addictive, as it's a all in your head. I have to agree with that. I was able to stop smoking it after years and I didn't even give it a second thought. Before I started to smoke marijuana though, I was a cigarette person. That habit was very hard on me physically every time I attempted to quit. I tried to quit maybe once every month or so. It wasn't until I found out that I was pregnant that I started to really try harder at quitting. One morning I woke up and just couldn't stand the smell of them as they made me sick. From that moment on, well one has never touched my lips. It's amazing the changes that being pregnant does to your body, and I give all the credit to quitting from being pregnant. Anyways, I don't think cigarettes are good for you in any shape or form, but smoking anything isn't good for your lung health. I smoked marijuana as a way to battle pain due to a previous pain pill addiction. I know that any substance abuse isn't the right way of going about things, but I broke my ankle and didn't want to ignite my pain pill addiction so I chose marijuana instead. I still think it was the better decision as now I am clean of all substances. So I guess I'm saying that maybe marijuana is better in some aspects while I think cigarettes are bad all the way around.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

When I smoked tobacco, I would have gone on long hunting trips for them too, had they not been available in the local shops. I would certainly change suddenly if I was craving a cigarette but didn't have any. Most cigarette smokers would behave like this were it not so freely available.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  7. Sudarsan

I guess you're right. I guess it's because of availability that cigarette smokers don't feel that itchy craving that marijuana smokers do. Actually, I've seen some guys growing marijuana plants at their back yards around other plants to avoid anyone seeing it. They would spend hours in the attic with the process of making marijuana ready to smoke. And, I'd be there watching them and wondering, 'Why don't these guys shift to cigarette smoking instead of wasting so much of time on doing all this?'
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, they're two totally different things. People don't smoke cigarettes for the same reason they smoke pot. Not all pot smokers smoke cigarettes. If you see a pot smoker who doesn't smoke cigarettes, but does when he or she is high, they're only doing it for the cigarrete boost. It's like pouring a little gas on a fire to keep it going.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Marijuana does have medicinal uses. I'm not sure if tobacco has any, and I've never heard any reports saying it does. But we all know the health effects of prolong cigarette usage. I've never heard of anyone getting cancer from smoking pot.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not smoke both. I do think that both have its bad effects for overall health. I cannot imagine what will be the feeling walking outside while someone is smoking cigarette while others are smoking pot. Worst if you suffer from lung illnesses like asthma, some people are really inconsiderate.
  11. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Smoking cogarrettes is one of the worst things to smoke. Your lungs get black and can lead to lung cancer and asthma really fast. Most marijuana would lead to my knowledge is the feeling of getting high. Its also a herb so there are no chemicals that could harm you unlike in cigs. If ever given the choice between the two, say neither of course but if not, say marijuana because it is ultimately healthier.
  12. juulicob

juulicob Member

I have never smoked a cigarette before and I refuse to. The smell of cigarette smoke just makes me nauseous. It's annoying to be around smokers also, mostly because they're addicted and will group together outside any chance they get. For example, I love hanging out with my sister and enjoy every minute of it but if we're out somewhere, like a concert at a big arena, or a restaurant, she always has to pardon herself and go outside. She invites me so that we can continue to hang out but I always decline. I'd rather have her go alone and realize that smoking is interrupting our time (as if that's the worst thing about cigarettes!). She explains how heavy the addiction is and she has been "trying to quit", which I respect.

Now, I have smoked marijuana and I do have an addictive personality. However, I never became addicted. I believe if I'm going to smoke anything, it will have purpose. Marijuana has only had positive effects on me (mentally).
  13. panda

panda Member

They are both terrible for me and ruining my life. If I try to quit one, I increase my intake with the other.
    But marijuana has less lethal side effects.
  14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I have never been a fan of marijuana. I am now a recovery nicotine addict and have been for more than a decade. I would still prefer the taste of a tobacco cigarette over a marijuana cigarette.
  15. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Heh, I think cigarette addicts are just as bad, except they don't realize it because they consider their behaviour the norm. Leave work to find a joint? Never actually seen it, but ok, I can see that it's problematic.

Does not strike me as frustrating as those smokers who leave work every hour to smoke outside for 10/15 minutes. Damn!

The people I know who smoke weed often and really love it much, they get cranky when they don't have it, true. But it does not strike me as much different as someone who wants a smoke to cool down and who does not get it.

Marijuana is not much healthier just because it's an herb -- it has some studied health benefits (I mean, the whole point of medical marijuana is because it does patients good and all... never heard of medical tobacco!). Smoking it is harmful because of smoke, but there are other ways to "take" it. Other than that, a few problems have been recorded (especially if people smoke it under 18 yo), but really, not as many as cigarettes. So yeah, it is healthier, and not just because "herb".
  16. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

Well, marijuana has a much higher tar count than cigarettes, so that is not good. However marijuana is pretty much harmless and has never caused anyone to die, where cigarettes have lower counts of tar they make up with nicotine and thousands of cancerous chemicals. So IF I had to choose, I would prefer marijuana over cigarettes.
  17. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

I have never smoked cigarettes in my life. I tried a pipe once when I was a little child and I did not like it at all. It turned me off of all tobacco-related products. I have smoked marijuana, though.
  18. xpictoc

xpictoc Member

It depends. If you smoke it straight without mixing it with tobacco, I would say it is "healthier" (with positive mental effects) as less Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) are formed. It's interesting to note that tobacco contains radioactive molecules, which may be part of the reason for the increase in cancer incidence in frequent smokers.

Smoking pot may have some drawbacks, too. For example, a recent study shows that it increases hostility and impulsivity in inexperienced smokers. And that's just one study that shows there are some negative effects of marijuana use. Doesn't mean I never smoke any, I just make sure not to overdo it.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Regardless, you are still putting something in your body that is not good for you. However, many people and doctors would argue that marijuana is healthier(or less deadly) for you due to the lack of chemicals and terrible things that are being put into cigarettes. Maybe if you roll your own tobacco it won't be as bad, but still.
  20. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I'm 15 years old and I started smoking cigarettes a year ago, I got addicted and can't quit smoking.
    I also did take marijuana once, but can't remember a single thing after, I guess that it's just more healthier.