An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Vs Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sudarsan, May 31, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think the other poster mean marijuana is way healthier than an average cigarette... because marijuana doesn't even have a tiny fraction of the 4,000 chemicals and 400 toxins a cigarette has. Weed can create addiction, but is not half as harmful as a cigarette.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

This is a question which has left us with two camps: one which prefers marijuana, and one which prefers cigs, obviously. The former will always have as argument the fact it doesn't cause any kind of health problems, and the latter will always have as argument the fact it's legal and doesn't make your mind go nuts. Methinks both sides are wrong and biased. :)
  3. aliciadow5898

aliciadow5898 Member

I used to not like marijuana until I got with my husband and I start smoking it religiously and I got used to the high. I've been smoking cigarettes for about 6 years and I definitely depend on them.. I'm pregnant.. and during this pregnancy I replaced my cigarette habit with more marijuana smoking and cut down to about 3 cigarettes a day because I do believe that marijuana is a MUCH cleaner drug. Less chemicals to hurt my baby girl. I know I sound like a bad mother but I hope everyone understands. Also, on the bright side, I quit smoking marijuana about 4 weeks ago and i've been completely sober and cut down to 1-2 cigarettes a day. It's just hard to completely stop when my husband smokes a pack a day and about 2 grams of marijuana a day.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I wouldn't say that I prefer one or other because I smoked marihuana just one time but I was/am a chain smoker too. But marihuana is definitely healthier than cigarettes, you can't imagine the amount of chemicals that cigarettes contain! But in the other hand marihuana is supposed to be more 'natural', it messes up with your brain chemicals and it can cause addiction too, but is not that bad in comparison to the damage that cigarettes can cause you.
  5. Goldkirin

Goldkirin Member

Let's just say you are buying both in a state that makes this example plausible. The ingredient list for marijuana is simple, it's marijuana. The same cannot be said for most cigarettes. Now it is true there are some brands that have addressed this, but your big hitters are full of all kinds of stimulates to keep you coming back for more.
    I'm not advocating that either are good for you. I find it interesting however the one that's legal in all 50 states doesn't tell you what is in the product you are using. It is possible that any marijuana you smoke might have other chemicals, i.e. pesticides , however so could tobacco, which means either way their is a risk to your health.
  6. Rex

Rex Community Champion

You should probably do neither. But i do think pat should be legal, its debatable whats worse.
    Pot inebriates you and smokes cause cancer. Id probable prefer weed
  7. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

I don't think there's any doubt that Marijuana is "better" for you than smoking cigarettes. There's a mountain of evidence pointing to the incredibly harmful effects of smoking.

Marijuana isn't healthy for you as some would try to claim, but does have positive properties to it. At the very least, we know it isn't actively killing you as cigarettes are.
  8. harold

harold Community Champion

I believe that quitting marijuana could be faster than quitting cigarettes. Cigarette smokers generally find themselves so helpless that many of them find it difficult to believe that there is a way out. It takes strong advice to convince a cigarette smoker to quit. On the other hand, Marijuana is equally addicted. I know a good number of friends who are so addicted to marijuana that everything about them centers around it. However, I believe that quitters find it much easier getting out of marijuana. Tobacco is definitely more addictive and less healthier than marijuana. At the end of the day, none of these substances are good for the health of any one. They should be avoided at all cost.
  9. harold

I admire the fact that you don't smoke cigarets and hate it. I equally hate cigarets with a passion. The smell makes my head ache. I can never hang around a smoker even for a minute. I hope your sister learn from you some day! I totally agree with you on this one. What I am concerned about is your comments on marijuana. I have never taken it before, but I know a couple of friends who are helplessly addicted to it. I say this because you have said that it helped you mentally. I know, that you are not addicted to it, which is great. The question is; can there be anything positive about marijuana? I am talking and looking at my addicted friends who are not even willing to seek help. Can it be helpful, given that it ends up transforming people into addicts?
  10. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

You get hallucinations from weed, damn must be some strong stuff (or laced). But yeah I hate cigarettes because their the reason I have asthma and my sister was born with terrible ear issues. Oh and it causes cancer I mean it seems like an easy choice here.
  11. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Let me shed some light here... No matter what you're smoking, it's still quite bad in the end, since you pretty much inhale hot smoke which can damage your throat, lungs etc.

Now, concerning your initial question, I suppose that marijuana is the safer bet, but just because it's safer than cigarettes, doesn't entitle you to actually smoke it. Marijuana is known to produce some bad health side effects such as stretching the capacity of your short-term memory, put you in an absentminded mood etc.

But at the end of the day, sure... if you were forced to smoke all your life something and you had to choose between marijuana and cigarettes, then yes, choose marijuana.
  12. McGuire

McGuire Member

I would say that marijuana is definitely better. If you get past the hallucinations (or get your tolerance past that point, I guess) then you can smoke and relax and it can calm you down and relax you. Or for some people, like me, I design websites and make online videos. So I can smoke and then go and do that, and I have a different perspective on things. Plus I think it can be a lot more of a bonding type thing. Also, I like marijuana more because of 1 the culture forming around some of it, and 2 the different variety of smells and looks and tastes that you can get. I would choose the smell of good marijuana over a cigarette any day..!
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Smoking cigarettes doesn't make me happy, but marijuana does, lol. So I would definitely prefer marijuana over cigarettes. I just don't like the mood swings that come afterwards.
  14. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Marijuana is a much more healthier alternative to cigarettes for obvious reasons. An average cigarette has 100+ chemicals added to it besides the nicotine which most people go for. The other chemicals make it more addicting for the user. Marijuana is much more healthier in that perspective.
  15. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

from what I know about marijuana and cigarettes, I understand that cigarettes are a lot less healthy, with a lot more consequences. Lung cancer in one of the biggest I can think of at the top of my head. Cigarettes cause a lot more death than marijuana does, so I guess that would be a reason to smoke weed instead of cigarettes. overall cigarettes are a lot more lethal than marijuana is, so that would be a contributing factor in smoking weed over tobacco related products.
  16. juulicob

juulicob Member

Thanks for your kind words, I'm proud of myself for staying away from smoking cigarettes and know I will never become addicted :)
    I understand what you're saying, and what I mean is that marijuana has helped me relieve stress. I've had panic attacks frequently and I didn't want to be on any medications. I did not want to rely on any substance to ease my mentality and sanity but the occasional use of marijuana did play a positive role at that part of my life. Then I moved on and panic attacks are very rare now. I totally see what you mean about addicted friends - that's just their current mental state. Not willing to seek help is a terrible state of mind. I've seen it in many friends and family members. I just wish people could understand what they really are doing to themselves; after the highs there are lows.
    harold likes this.
  17. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If you get hallucinations from pot, I'd definitely stay away from any psychedelic drug. I personally don't like cigarettes, but I'll take my cigars over pot any day. I can just keep smoking myself into euphoria without getting to a point where I'm unable to function (nicotine actually increases your cognitive ability, oddly enough), as opposed to pot where it would leave me sitting on the couch for the next two hours. Although the cancer-causing aspects of tobacco are certainly worrisome.
  18. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Yeah damn, if weed does that to ya could you imagine the psychadelics? Yeesh
  19. harold

Thanks for your response. You have clarified many things that kept me in the dark. I am still confused on one thing. I never knew that marijuana is used for panic attacks. I used to suffer from panic attacks to the extent that my social and professional life is still suffering from the consequences of panic attacks. I had to turn to God for healing. However I never really knew that marijuana could help here. I am not looking for a way out because I know that I have already been healed of my own attacks, but can marijuana medically or under the supervision of a professional, help people who suffer from panic attacks?
  20. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Marijuana is way better for you. Like others have posted, I smoke medical marijuana because I have really bad anxiety. It helps. Whenever I hear the marijuana vs. cigarettes debate, I think of it as a frozen steak dinner vs. a real steak. Both are obviously not great for you. But at least the real steak is actual steak. There are no mystery chemicals or preservatives or chemicals that could literally kill you. Cigarettes are all chemicals. At least marijuana is natural.