An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana Vs Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sudarsan, May 31, 2015.

1. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I feel that cigarettes are much more dangerous that marijuana. Thousands of people die each year from lung cancer due to smoking cigarettes...I have yet to hear of anyone diagnosed with lung cancer from smoking pot! I'm sure it can possibly happen but cigarettes have what amounts to rat poison in them while marijuana is natural. I'm not saying that it is great for your body, but it's better than tar and rat poison.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Lol I believe weed is a psychedelic, but to get such an intense psychedelic experience from such a light drug could indicate some issues down the line with frequent pot-smoking.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Marijuana is grown and has more health benefits like back pain or seizures, which I know has helped some people nearby me and they use it even though it's illegal to use in New Zealand. Cigarettes do cost a bit more and depends on where you buy it and also does not have health benefits, as it causes lung or asthma to occur and not healthy to take in the body. I have seen some people make their own tobacco and seem to find it more healthy and also seem to know who to buy it from, and can spend money and a day on it with their friends smoking. I know two people who can smoke weed for half the day, and have energy to do hard work but get more hungry and eat more then they would if they were sober.
  4. Andrew Neer

Andrew Neer Member

I don't know which one is easier to quit as I have never been a smoker but I know that marijuana is more harmful than tobacco as far as health is concerned. Studies have shown that just one joint of weed may be as harmful to the lungs as up to five chain smoked cigarettes.

Marijuana also causes hallucinations and triggers abnormal behaviour. I think it's the worse one between the two.
  5. pau21

pau21 Member

Marijuana tastes better than tobacco in my opinion, but you can't smoke pot all day long. I'm addicted to cigarettes, I smoke a pack a day, and rarely smoke marijuana, maybe two times a year. I like getting high from time to time, but I couldn't possibly handle the hallucinations too often, I'll go crazy. But if you see it from the health point of view marijuana is maybe a better choice.
  6. juulicob

juulicob Member

Well, I don't like to rely on any medications so I looked for other options. I used to drink alcohol to drown my anxiety but that stopped quickly. Instead I started smoking a little more often than the really occasional social gatherings. I realized it kept me calm. Each person is different, of course, so it may not be a "cure" for everybody suffering from panic attacks. I tried everything - my social and professional life also still suffers. I feel we can both relate and it's comforting. I wasn't under the supervision of a professional, I just felt that I know my body and mind well enough that the simple temporary distraction of smoking marijuana was my "cure". Once I started feeling anxious beyond control, I would take a hit of marijuana and that truly assisted in calming me down, thus preventing a possible panic attack.