An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana vs tobacco

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by cpinatsi, Jun 17, 2015.

1. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

So how bad is marijuana for our health compared to tobacco? I have been told that tobacco is more harmful to us than marijuana and I wonder if this is really true.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I believe tobacco products are more harmful because of all of the chemicals that are mixed in with the tobacco to make the cigarettes you smoke. I am not sure if there is much of a difference if you smoke both in their most natural and pure form. Both can eventually cause lung cancer.
  3. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

It is hard to say objectively. Though recent researches have argued that marijuana is not all that bad, the same was said about tobacco back in the day. As of right now, the media has portrayed marijuana as not as bad as tobacco.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

If I had to choose one to say that was worse than the other, it would be that tobacco is worse than marijuana. For those who are natural growers of marijuana, I think it goes right from the plant to market, whereas tobacco goes through processing and additives are mixed in with it. You are better off not smoking either to be honest!
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Cpinatsi, I have heard the same thing you have and might even have read it somewhere. Actually reading online yet again confirms that there is much more to be said in support of marijuana being the lesser of two 'evils'. Here is just one bit of reading I found.
    http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/tobacco.htm
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

It's curious to know that tobacco can me more harmful that marijuana, however while tobacco is socially accepted, weed is not and this is what has caused a serious of speculations that nowadays are being debunked in pro to get it legalized.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Hard to say on the whole, but I’d be inclined to say tobacco is the more dangers of the two. Mostly because cigarettes come with additives and much nastier carcinogens than marijuana. But just because weed is usually more natural doesn’t mean I want to smoke it.
  8. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I think if you put tobacco and marijuana side by side, on the same person, and have them smoke both for an equally long time the negative side effects/health hazards would be in favor of tobacco, honestly. Marijuana can still cause lung cancer (as any smoke inhaled can) but the more immediate effects would stem from cigarette smoking, I believe.

Unless you count $$ spent, the Marijuana trumps it.
  9. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Don't really know what's true, but I'd say tobacco is more harmful, as marijuana does have some positive effects (it is used for medicine purposes).
  10. Shimus

Even not knowing what is true or not, you have to simply look at cases of lung cancer in cigarette smokers vs marijuana smokers - the facts are just that, facts. More people simply die from lung cancer induced from Tobacco vs Weed

I'm not saying it doesn't happen to Marijuana smokers- both do - but Tobacco has a way higher mortality rate - that's NO coincidence.)
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

Neither of them is better. Marijuana can cause cancer as tobacco can cause. Marijuana affects the lungs and it is also allergic. It can also affect one's thinking ability. It can make one to feel disorientated and lack of physical coordination.
  12. Shimus

It's true that neither is better since they are both drugs and this IS a recovery forum - so don't do them!

But if we're to literally put all statistical related deaths side by side Tobacco far outscores Marijuana.
  13. Tobacco has nicotine, and nicotine is really addictive. Marijuana, while having the ability to form into a habit just like anything else, is not addictive at all. Cigarettes have lots of carcinogens and there really is nothing in them. At least you can get drunk with alcohol and get high on weed. But smoking cigarettes has nothing. Stress release? No.
  14. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Marijuana may have some psychological effects and other minor side effects, however Tobacco straight up kills and leads to many deaths and illnesses in not just the user but those surrounding them.
  15. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

basicly, tobacco is more harmful since it contains a lot of chimicals, but in the other hand, marijuana have a lot of bad effect at the humain psychological side ! it makes you lose your mind with time ! so you can't compare them because the two are really harmful !
  16. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Overall I'd say tobacco is the greater evil of the two. There are too many stories floating around about the addictive qualities of tobacco, and many of those stem from the chemicals used to create the stuff in the first place. Not good for your body at all. That said, I can't imagine that inhaling any kind of drug, tobacco or marijuana or whatever, would be good for your lungs. Among many, many other parts of your body. Chew gum and ignore 'em both.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

Maybe tobacco is more harmfull than weed, but, as always, it depends on just how much you consume of anything. If you smoke 5 cigarettes a day, I don't think it's more harmful than if you smoked 10 joints a day. But that's just me. I'm no expert.
  18. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think that eventually, the big tobacco companies are going to make the big switch to Mary Jane. That's just a theory, though.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think pot only has those effects whenever you smoke often/daily. Cigarettes just harm your lungs and don't really do anything.
  20. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Cannabis and Tobacco are equally bad for you. This is only true in their "pure" form. Most forms of tobacco use is not "pure" such as cigarettes. Cigarettes contain 100+ other chemicals which lead to an exponential chance of addiction. Cannabis (so far) is consumed in a "pure" form. There has not been any company which has added other chemicals which do not already come with the cannabis to the product. In this sense, cannabis is healthier than the usual way tobacco is consumed.