An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuana was definitely a problem for me.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by healey, Feb 24, 2016.

1. healey

healey Member

People like to joke about how 'weed isn't a drug' or that 'you think that's a problem'.. but I've concluded that anything can be a problem in excess.

For the longest time, I was smoking constantly. I would wake up from the night before still high, and spend the day working to get high. All of my disposable income went towards it. My life revolved around it. It became a real problem, in my eyes. I gave up on school, making any new friends, my love relationships.... I believe it affects everyone differently, but I'm the poster child that it can truly be a 'setback' for those with average ambition.

I'm here to seek coping mechanisms, and join the community to stay clean.
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Let me be the first to welcome you here @healey. It was marijuana that actually brought me to the forum. I've never used but I have relatives and friends who do. Most if not all of them maintain it's not that harmful and even if it is they don't seem ready to give it up. I have seen serious changes in most of them and not for the better. I am glad you recognised it can set you back and I have seen that happen to several around me.

I think you have made a great decision to join us and I hope more experienced persons will be along soon to offer you some practical suggestion for coping. I'd hasten to add though, that you ought to choose your friends wisely as I think the wrong company can hinder your process. Welcome again and thank you for sharing your story.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story with us. Don't worry, you have come to the right place, over here you will get lots of support and encouragement when you really need it, all you have to do is talk to us and we will do everything we can to help you out. Don't worry, a life free from drugs can be achieved, it might not b easy but is totally doable. You just have to believe in yourself and what you are doing.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I trust @healey you are going to make it clean from now on since you know what the problem is. The best thing for you is to find a project or purpose for living clean; write a short book to inspire others or record it and make it into a vlog. There are millions out there who want to live like you, we're glad you will cope fine here.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hi there @healey and welcome to the community. Most of us here have gathered to this place with the same intent as you. We want to heal, and we also want to heal others who are going through tough situations.

Don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you have in mind. We will try our very best to help you out. :)
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Welcome to the forum and hope things are getting better. :)
    It is a good thing that you acknowledge that there is a problem and you are doing things to solve it. Continue to be determined to totally get rid of that substance in your life.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the group and thank you for opening up to us. I believe you can get clean from weed because you made the step to come here and look for inspiration. Anything that be a problem when it is over used. Best of luck to you as you move forward in your life feed and clear from weed. You got this!
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It became a problem for me as well and I think for a WHOLE lot of other people that don't even realize it at all. People just think of it like a way to relax or feel better, but really it's an addiction for them like it was for me. I not only had to have it every day, and would get extremely irritable if I didn't have any; but I would feel like I couldn't socialize or function without it. It's a drug. It's just like any other drug it can become addicting. And there's been a lot of denial going on about weed just because you can't overdose. Well people can still have adverse side effects from it. I had panic attacks and already had heart problems so I'm thankful it never got too bad.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the community, @healey. We're glad you're here. Please know that we will help and support you any way we can. There are a lot of great, compassionate people here. Feel free to check out the many discussions, and I hope to see you around here going forward.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Welcome aboard Healey! Rest assured, you are not alone in this journey towards recovery. There are many people here who've gone through the same situation as you (some even worse) so have faith that all is not lost yet. Weed, legal though it may be in certain states, is still a drug and, when taken in excess, can affect people's emotional and mental processes adversely. I'm glad that you're speaking out about this because many seem to be under the impression that just because it's legal it's not bad for your well-being.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @healey! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story to us here. It's good to know that you're now reaching out to other people for help and suggestions. Just stay focused on your goal, keep yourself motivated, and keep your hands busy so you won't think about weed that much. You can do it. Have faith. :)
  12. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I think that anytime you spend money on anything that is not making your life easier is a waste. It is alarming when people look at banks statements and can count how much is spent on a habit. Good to know you realize its a problem...nevertheless a problem that can be solved.
  13. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

I think you have made a great decision to join us on this forum. Here you might find more experienced persons who'll be able to offer you some practical suggestion for coping. Choose your friends wisely, some people only pretend to be your friends. Thank you for sharing your story.
  14. healey

healey Member

Thanks everyone for he warm welcome! I've made decent strides on getting off it, it's mostly now about occupying myself and my time elsewhere.

I was really worried about getting chastised or berated about people having more hardcore problems (cocaine, meth) and am happy everyone is acceptable. Thanks again guys!
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Weed isn't really that addictive if you compare it to other drugs, but I get what you mean. I think if you really want to change then you should deprive yourself of it and don't even entertain the idea of buying it. Try diverting your mind to something else and get busy to avoid cravings.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  16. ciaran071198

ciaran071198 Member

I'm sorry to hear that it affected you badly. I personally do consume but keep it to a fortnightly schedule so as not to overdo it. When consumed too frequently, which I have done, it can however be very demotivating and can make you very lazy. It all comes back to the age old saying 'moderation is key' !!!