An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marijuna not seen as a problem

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tasha, Dec 3, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

There is a lot of talk about people thinking that Marijuana is not a problem and not a drug but this is so far from the truth. It is addictive! People who have smoked it for years cannot stop, they get withdrawal symptoms and other emotions too. Once you are on the weed and it doesn't give you the effect that you first got you then try other things and with all the addicts I have met, they all started out with stupid little weed which became a cigarette when the big drugs kicked into effect. Marijuana is a drug, it is serious when someone smokes it, it can harm you and it leads to bigger and more dangerous drugs. It is not cool and only the weak say that it is. People who cannot stop smoking it will tell you its not addictive and for those who started with it, will tell you it is. Recovery is not an option for those who make excuses and find solutions for having to take a drug
    xTinx and deanokat like this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That is very true @tasha! Somehow, I can't understand why people condemn one drug and glorify another. If you think hard on it, marijuana, heroine, cocaine and other drugs aren't that much different from each other. Yes marijuana has a medical side to it but why can't they leave the drug to the hospitals? Do they have to use it for pleasure too? That's what's baffling. And then people start wondering about the onset of crimes. Most criminal acts are orchestrated by those under the influence of drugs and certain addictive substances. Still, it has really taken some time for that fact to sink in and many continue to clamor for marijuana's legalization.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many companies don't employ marijuana addicts because they know the negative side of smoking it. If one is addicted to smoking Marijuana he can never concentrate on his work before smoking it. Marijuana is addictive and can lead to other respiratory diseases.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana no longer is seen as a problem because most of those people advocating for it's legalization list numerous benefits of using the drug but fail to mention it's other nasty effects. For sick people who have no option but to use marijuana for relief of chronic pain they won't mind the bad side effects of the drug but for someone who is healthy, why take the risk?
  5. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Not long ago there was someone asking for tips on how to smoke weed or something. I was just baffled when I read this kid asking for tips and people in here actually giving him some tips! I thought I was the only one who thought of marijuana as a drug, happy to know I’m not crazy.

I think everyone just minimizes the effects of weed and what it can actually do to you. Of course marijuana is a drug, of course is addictive and everyone should stay away from it. By saying this I’m not denying it can be used with medical purposes, but recreationally?

I totally agree with you and I’m really happy you created this thread!
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I totally agree. If you're healthy in the first place, there's no reason to resort to marijuana out of curiosity. You were already warned from the outset of its addictive properties. People have different levels of resiliency but if you're not careful or strong enough, the drug could very well destroy your health.
    Rainman likes this.
  7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I was talking about this to someone else recently--advocates for legalization are always crowing about how "harmless" weed is, and how it isn't a gateway drug, and how it's not addictive. The truth is I'm in the midst of quitting right now, and I'm shocked at just how difficult it is.

When I couldn't afford to replenish my stock recently, I had taken to scraping up and gathering every bit of the stuff I could find so that I could smoke it. I was watching myself and thinking "this is insane, I can't believe I'm doing this."
  8. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Marijuhana compared to other drugs is less harmless. And less addicting. Im not advocating its use because i dont do drugs any longer. Never really liked Marijuhana. Do the benefits outweigh the negative affects? Thats a good question. It depends on who you ask i suppose. Marijuhana definitely has a withdrawal syndrome too it. Which affects mood and sleep patterns. Ask any Marijuhana smoker and they will tell you this when they have tried to quit. I do believe Marijuhana is a gateway drug. When smokers get bored with the high they may move on to more powerful drugs.
  9. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes there are a number of drugs used to help with pain and morphine is one of them too but if we had to take a drug for every bit of pain that we have it could lead to other things because the first time you do it, is the last time it will make you feel good and finding something better will be the goal. I have seen so many people smoking it and saying that it is not a drug but ask them to go a day without it..... withdrawal is as ugly as it is on any other drug.
  10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I'm torn with this post. I want to agree with you, but at the same time Marijuana has become so incredibly socially acceptable for a reason. We can't put it on the same boat as heroin and meth- it's just not as harmless. When you take out all of the smoke and get into other ways of taking in THC, it's pretty mellow compared to any other drug. I just don't see it as an incredibly "bad" thing. I don't take in any THC, but I really don't have an issue with the people that do.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Yep, that's true. I, personally, didn't have a problem with weed, but I know a whole lot of people who messed up their lives because they started doing stronger drugs. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is like playing Russian Roulette. You never know who's going to get shot. So, the only way to avoid that bullet is not to play at all.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Isn't that the truth. Well, ignorance is bliss or a crime however you want to look at it. This is the kind of thing that will take them much longer to connect the dots.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Some give the argument that "because it is used for medicinal purposes, it is not harmful". And this is wrong, because there are people out there who are addicted to pills and medication. I see it as prescription drug abuse, but more "natural". Every substance that enters your body is harmful in some way, especially if you are addicted to it.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here it is considered an illegal drug and definitely it is seen as a problem. It has proven to be addictive and can cause health issues. Just like mentioned about it that it can give hallucinations and might cause mental illness when abused.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There seems to be a lot of people in this post that are sitting on the fence a bit here and not knowing what to say, so...I shall choose a side, and say that I don't agree with the OP.

I smoked marijuana for many years from the age of about 13 years old till I stopped at around 30. I smoked for that long because I enjoyed it, not because I was addicted, and I know that because as soon as I thought to myself I'm going to stop, I did. I just stopped buying it and haven't touched it since.

I'm not saying this is the same for all people, but I would suggest for the majority of people it is. I'd say in my neighbourhood 99% of people smoked weed, and 99% of them haven't touched it since we decided to stop.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Marijuana is indeed harmful when taken in large doses, so even if it's considered as a "harmless drug", in the long run it can have destructive effects for the user. I'm quite lucky that I don't have an addictive personality, so even if I smoked weed before I never got addicted to it.
  17. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Like I said in another post, I don't believe in "addiction" per se. If you have a habit which has been rooted within you badly, you won't get rid of it that easily, unless of course you've been through it before and in which case wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Nevertheless, marijuana is indeed an issue, if people believe it or not. I do agree with it being legal from a medical point of view, but that ends there. It's a gateway drug.
  18. This is exactly what I tell people. I hate the argument that people use about weed being better than cigarettes, especially. Haven't people seen the statistics on that? And weed hasn't even been widely researched yet over a long period of time. I look forward to the day they do.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Marijuana both has advantages, and disadvantages. When it's used for medical purposes, that's when it becomes really useful. But when it's abused because of recreational reasons, that's when it becomes addictive, and harmful.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know people who smoke it and drive the car around and seem fine and don't think of the consequences and this is shocking and hope people don't start to think that marijuana is less harmful than other drugs, and there are some medical uses for it and it has shown to work very well and hope that people have more awareness of the drug. I reckon that the environment can affect the mind as the person may be with the wrong crowd, and see no harmful effects of the drug and knew some people in school who would use it as a way to escape stress. It is interesting to see how society views the drug and people can think it is less than harmful which is shocking and this is where young people may see it as a friend due to the media.