An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Marlboro Men dying of Smoking related disease?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Elendil, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

We all know the Marlboro Men. The macho cowboys that represented freedom and manliness, qualities that could 'supposedly' also be associated with smoking the world famous Marlboro Brand of cigarettes.

But did you know that four of the iconic Marlboro Men, namely Wayne McLaren, David McLean, Dick Hammer and Eric Lawson, reportedly died of smoking related diseases?

In my opinion, if that does not convince someone that smoking tobacco is bad for his/her health, nothing else will do the trick. What do you think?
  2. yeahand

yeahand Member

You don't need to convince smokers it's bad anymore. We know. Smokers (like other drug addicts) just need to know everything is going to be okay and that every waking moment thereafter won't be a miserable battlefield. We know we're gambling every time we light up and it actually has the opposite effect. You start looking at those warning labels a little too long and you start to worry and stress. What does a stressed out smoker do? They smoke.
    Krato likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have read somethings about that already somewhere in the web. Sadly to say that they are aware of the bad effects of smoking but still smoke as it is a clear sign of addiction. They cannot stop smoking no matter what bad news or scary the labels, unless they will have the strong will to live better.
  4. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It is always sad when someone dies like that. The world today is aware of the dangers of smoking yet they still keep smoking. This one though is a good reminder to the ones that tend to forget how bad tobacco really is for our well being.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Most of those in the film Magnficent Seven who's theme music was later adopted by Marlboro, also died of cancer. I think the only one that is left is Robert Vaughn, and I am willing to bet he never smoked. I know he is alive because he does commercials for law firms all over the country including one locally.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

You know, it's even advertised on the pack that cigarettes can lead to painful death, yet no one seems to be affected by those statements. Smokers don't really care about all the negatives, a lot of people I know that smoke reason it by saying "I only have one life and I need to have fun and do what I want" and that basically shuts down every conversation. I gave up trying to approach this subject with them.
  7. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Well, it is well established that people focus more on the 'good' side of a coin instead of focusing on the visually unappealing side. Smokers often ignore the picture of the diseased lung on their pack of cigs and tell, "Nah, it will never happen to me." simply because it's human nature to distance ourselves from bad things in life. The same smokers often look up to the Marlboro Men as role models and say, "Oh, how I wish to become like them!"

So if somebody points these facts out to these people and tell them, "You will, at least, die like your adored Marlboro Men!" I think it will work better than the diseased lung; since they associate themselves with the 'good' MM, they will associate themselves with the mode of death more than they ever did with the lung of some stranger they've never seen or met in their life.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I guess we have to remind ourselves how fortunate we are to live in a time where we know cigarettes are bad for us. These guys probably had no clue. Cigarettes back then were touted as a cure all, whereas now we know that they cause all manner of diseases and illnesses.
  9. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

I think that everyone realizes how bad cigarettes are but most of the hardcore smokers prefer to close an eye to the issue and continue smoking. The addiction is stronger than the fear of dying and it's like playing the roulette. You smoke and hope there is a chance you won't be the one to get illnesses from it, since not everyone dies from smoking.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It is well known that smoking is bad for you. I think most smokers just don't want to deal with the side effects. After all it does kill you, but slowly, very slowly.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

People continue smoking not because they do not know about the trust associated with smoking. They smoke because once that has been started as a curiosity has become a habit.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

A lot of people have died from smoking related disease who smoked cigarettes. Mostly people who were older that I knew died from cancer. These guys were true to there word and used the product they advertised, and faced the consequences that came with it. At least you couldn't say they were just actors. This is why I stopped smoking cigarettes a long time ago.
  13. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

A lot of people have died from smoking.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Today my fiance was talking about really quitting, but I won't believe it until I see it. After checking this post and reading about the deaths of those famous smokers, I can do nothing but truly hope my fiance stops smoking. I mean, every one of those iconic men died because of those cigarettes D:
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The best thing you can do is give him support. Don't give up on him stopping smoking, the fact that he wants to stop just means his half way there.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Man, i didn't know that. I remember thinking those Marlboro cowboys were so cool in those commercials when I was a kid. They really did make you want to pick up a pack and smoke your life away sitting by a camp fire beneath the stars. I missed those commercials when they banned them from TV.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yesterday I asked him how long he thinks he was exposed to his parent's second hand smoke, he told me 12 years! So in the worst case scenario it's like he has been smoking for 24 years.... JESUS. The problem is that i'm not even sure he wants to, he just keeps saying he wants to, but he doesn't even try to :(
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

Smoking is harmful to one's health and can result to one getting cancer. Lung cancer has led to many deaths, but still we see the number of smokers rising. I think that smoking should be banned if we want to reduce the deaths. Children should not be allowed to buy cigarettes. Those who smoke should also do it away from young children.
  19. Krato

Krato Member

Be patient and supportive, I've tried to stop smoking and failed, it's one of the most difficult things I've ever tried to do and I also tell my wife I want to stop smoking, yet I still smoke and no, I am not just saying that to make her or anyone else feel better, I genuinely want to stop. Best I could do was 6 days, then I though, just one to take the edge and that was it I started up again. Bear with him, when he's ready, he will stop, or at least try to.