An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

MAT Support Group

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Joshstillclean, May 30, 2019.

1. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

I'm starting a support group for people on MAT, needing MAT, or who have questions about getting MAT.
    I recently started back my Subutex treatment after a period without it. Well as it turns out I have done some permanent damage to my internal organs. My bloodwork shows that my kidneys are functioning better now that I'm back on Subutex.

I know some people are on MAT long term and a lot of people really bawk at this idea.
    I hope anyone on MAT (this includes any type of medication to assist you in life so you can function without chasing pain pills or heroin to straight tar opium) who wants to chime in with some positive feedback or some words of encouragement feels free to do so.
    Calling all MAT patients!
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

awesome!
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

4. Joshstillclean

@True concern
    Join the club buddy. Your presence is needed in the MAT support group.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Joshstillclean

deanokat likes this.
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Ok so I will be starting MAT next week,after a massive amount of failed attempts to gain control of my life via cold turkey and endless nightmares as far as the agony cold turkey delivers so I have decided I am going to try suboxone or subutex which ever one comes in strips that way I can cut them in half and stay proactive in making the strips smaller over time as I don't want to be on such a program any longer than 6 month's and I hope that time frame is realistic as I have been able to convince myself to accept a 6 month time line and if it takes longer I will have to re prepare mentally as like I've said mentally I've accepted a 6 month time line,I pray this is the correct choice and I think it is,I want to join the rest of you in sobriety as well I want to stop feeling like I'm dying
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  7. Joshstillclean

Man, honestly six months actually does sound realistic. I hear A lot of people say a week or a month and that just won't cut it. But Im,glad your at least prepared for 6 months. That gives you time to find employment and stuff.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. Joshstillclean

For the record, gainful enjoyment was the biggest factor in me feeling better about life. It really made all the difference in the world to be bringing home my own money.
    My family was helping me, and probably would have continued to do so for a while.
    But honestly that was making me feel more and more like a leech.(not saying your doing that at all!)
    That is how I felt about myself. I don't even know your situation, except that you said it was hard to find masonry work there.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Well let me clarify my masonry statement....so when I got into the business at 15 1/2 year's old I went to work for a guy who had won what's called "The golden trowel award" several time's, his company put out the best work period but beyond that he was very religious and kinda helped people who had a bad up bringing learn to fend for themselves, he taught us as youth to be self reliant and turned us into men without us even knowing it,he believed in us,gave us a chance and showed us away to overcome,i often went to church with his family on our only day off...Sunday,we never worked sunday.i messed up a few time's he put me in rehab and gave me yet another chance and my life was back on track this is when I was making 60-70k a year well he gave the business to his oldest son who does not believe in god...in fact he would go to Vegas and pray to Satan before placing his bets...well because he took over a premier company he made me and others pariahs because he thought we were less intelligent and foolish for believing in God so I have been black balled because of my faith in that industry because a Satanist inherited a multi million dollar business and has that much influence due to the superior work we did
  10. Joshstillclean

If you were any other faith...you know where I'm going with that.
    Keep the faith brother. God has something better in mind for you.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  11. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

How will this work @Joshstillclean? I'm all for another tool. I'm thinking of trying SMART but the meetings aren't near me at a good time. I have to make a better effort to go.
    deanokat, Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  12. Joshstillclean

I forget, are you doing one of the 12 step programs already? Or is that incorporated in what you do through the clinic?
  13. Joshstillclean

I like SMART though. But they are kinda hard to find. Unless your in a major city.
    The problem you run into there(or at least that I ran into) is I don't like going so deep into the city that I have to either walk or take the train. I like to drive and NOT have to pay for parking.
    So that kinda rules out the inner city areas for me.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  14. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I've always wanted to try a SMART meeting.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. Joshstillclean

You would enjoy.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. deanokat

What about SMART online meetings? It might be a good place to start.

https://www.smartrecovery.org/community/calendar.php

Just a thought.
  17. Joshstillclean

Again with the links...
    And thanks I honestly didn't know there were any online smart meetings. Ill,have to check that out tonight. I think I would like that.
    Actually I know I will! Count me in.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. deanokat

Gotta take care of the peeps, @Joshstillclean! Maybe you should call me Abraham Linkin! ;)
  19. Joshstillclean

Well I'm about to check out the online smart meetings. And probably Netflix then im to hit the sack early. That tree was a job!
    Anyway hang in there @True concern.
    Hope you join us @cmt.
    Sleep in good @DoxyMom since you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn, I know your looking forward to that.
    And everybody else (you know who you are) y'all have a good evening.
    Im out.
    Dominica likes this.
  20. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

I still wake up early. There are two in person SMART meetings near me kind of. One is on a Wednesday at lunch and they take an hour and a half. It is a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic. The other one is closer on a Friday night but the hubby and I usually do things that night.
    At the clinic I have group once a week for an hour and a half and one on one for a half hour. When I get up to 3 take homes I think this is lowered but I may continue the group as it helps. Even NA and AA are few and far between around here. I live in a fairly populated area but my town does not have any. I have checked out the online ones but I think I need to be more accountable. Anyway for anyone new reading this I go to a methadone clinic and have been clean a little over two months. I have to go every day to dose but Sunday as I get that one take home. I have two clean urine s and am waiting for my third in June. Once I get that I do a special take home group and then I get my weekends free. I have to be there 9 months to get the next one which puts me at October. I will take Friday at that time. Woo hoo!
    deanokat, Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.