An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

May be getting evicted

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by L_B, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Something to keep in mind, but not to alarm you, even if your landlord has not given you an eviction notice, they may decline to renew your lease when your current one expires. Obviously I don't know your landlord or how accommodating they may be with your situation, but part of the reason they may not be attempting to evict you now is because they don't want to go through the hassle of having to take you to court and filing the paperwork. They may just be trying to wait it out until your lease comes to an end. Just try and be prepared for that, should it ultimately happen. At some point or another, those other tenants may start moving out, an the landlord is going to have to decide if it makes more sense to remove you from the premises, than having to try and get all of those other units leased again. In addition, they could be getting negative reviews online from other tenants for not addressing the situation properly.
    kgord likes this.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear this. Now you have to find some where else to live. Maybe you should talk to your husband about going to rehab. If the drinking get's you both evicted that's pretty bad. I hope everything turns out alright with you.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@L_B... How did the weekend go? Just curious. I am thinking about and praying for you, my friend.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Actually the weekend was okay only because they two of us have been extremely sick with the flu. There was no drinking in over a week now because he can't keep anything down. I am starting to feel a bit better but he is still really sick. I would have preferred a sober, healthy weekend but I will take it. It was nice not to have to worry about the drinking.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. deanokat

I hope you both feel better soon, @L_B. Being sick sucks. Sending you healing vibes. :)
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I don't know what the tenant laws are in your country, or if the landlord can legally evict you in such a short time frame. Having to move is difficult for everyone, I know that if I was in your position I would probably be full of worry and anxiety. Stay strong, and see if you can discuss the matter further with your landlord.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I too hope you are both doing better. I am glad you did not have the worries of his drinking even though the conditions were not perfect having to deal with illness.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you everybody for all your input. It means a lot and I have read what you had to say. I live on a month to month lease so there is no actual signed leased so he only has to give a 30 day notice if he wanted to get rid of us. He is pretty reasonable and easy to talk to. We shall see what happens long term but for now things are good. Come summer we are never home on the weekends because we camp all summer long. He hasn't smoked in drank in almost two weeks now because of this flu. It is a great start for him.
    MrsJones, Winterybella and deanokat like this.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

We are not both not feeling well and it was actually him that said, " I think it should be an alcohol and smoke free weekend this weekend again." He suggested we go out for a hike this weekend and enjoy the weather rather then him drink all weekend. I was quite impressed with that statement. It will be more of a enjoying the nice weather then hiking because we just aren't up to that right now but I will take another alcohol and smoke free weekend. That is the best thing I have heard in a very long time and it gives me hope. We have been spending a lot of time bonding while we have been sick and less time arguing which has been really great.
    MrsJones likes this.
  10. deanokat

@L_B... This is really great news. For your husband to suggest that the weekend be alcohol- and smoke-free is WONDERFUL! I hope this continues after you're both back to 100%. It's also terrific that the two of you have been bonding. All good stuff! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am glad you had a great weekend LB and it is cool that your husband was sober,however, I still hope you have located a place you can afford if your husband goes back to his previous behavior as he is an addict, it just seems like a matter of time. I am sorry to be negative and I am sure you don't want to hear that. The fact that you could be homeless due to possible eviction should be looked at as a real possibility and dealt with ahead of time so, you have some place to go if the worst happens. May God be with you, and your hubby!
  12. L_B

L_B Community Champion

@deanokat thank you for your support. It means so much to me.

@kgord I know you are right and I am well aware of the problems that surround our relationship. I am taking the positive for now but still planning for the worse. He has quit before in the past and did quite well so I am have hope that he can do it again.
    MrsJones and deanokat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.