An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Me time

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Do you find that some good old fashioned "me time" helps out with your recovery? It is time that you devote solely to yourself and what you want to do with out the stress of dealing with other people. What do you do with your time alone? I like to shopping or out for a long walk by myself.
    pineywood and stariie like this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I normally watch a movie or a series with an engaging and tear-inducing plot. I also like to read books and Asian comics because they widen my horizons and increase my sense of imagination. Stories have a healing effect on me so whenever I feel the need to escape, I find relief in reading and watching films and shows in addition to eating unique dishes or spending time with my family, friends and pets. I try not to overdo this "me time." It also has adverse effects especially when you're not in the right state of mind. Surrounding yourself with people who love you helps.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I like reading but prefer not do it at home since there so many distractions. Because of that, I normally take a walk to a quiet place that's about two miles away, read until it's dark then just spend some time gazing at the stars. It helps keep my mind off the "bad stuff."
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I do this a lot when I'm feeling some anxiety or frustration. I just try to go out for a walk and get some fresh air, then I try and gain some perspective on my situation and try to remind myself that it's still most likely not as bad as I am imagining. Also just sitting outdoors when it's night time and peaceful helps a lot with bettering my thoughts.
  5. stariie

stariie Community Champion

With the exception of being with my son, I find that I like being with myself much, much more than I like being with other people, therefore, I devote a lot of my time to "me time".
    I read, I write, I watch movies, I cook, I eat, I collage, I draw. I do anything that I want to do, which is a luxury is this day and age. I have also resorted to turning off my cell phone so that no one can reach me when I don't want to be reached.
    I have found that if you let them, people, no matter if unintentionally or not, will take up loads and loads of your precious time. You can get to the end of a day and realize that you haven't had any time for yourself.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think "me time" is essential for my well being. Sometimes, I just want to take a break from everybody and everything and just be by myself for a while. My favorite thing to do it take a long walk. I like to put my earphones in, tuen tohe music off and just pound the streets for a while.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  7. Rosyrain

I like to put in my ear buds and tune the world out sometimes as well. Getting lost in music is a fun way to pass time and get my mind off of things. I am really into music and always have been. I tend to like more up beat music, but none of the new age rap or urban music.
  8. Rosyrain

I like to put in my ear buds and tune the world out sometimes as well. Getting lost in music is a fun way to pass time and get my mind off of things. I am really into music and always have been. I tend to like more up beat music, but none of the new age rap or urban music.
  9. Rosyrain

10. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

A LOT. When I was dealing with any of those tough things, depression, and anxiety, and PTSD, and addictions, and anything such, the time I set aside for dealing with it was what got me better! Otherwise I was just pushing the whole situation down and going through the motions. I used me time to find outlets and solutions for what I was going through (blogging to vent and gain perspective), and to reduce the stress the process was costing me- taking walks, exercise, going for walks, watching...I didn't allow myself a second of time for myself until things got way too bad to even function normally...so finally, I had to take time for myself, there was no other option. So I learned my lesson. Now I have learned to recognize to generally leave some me time, but also to recognize when I am going through something, and it's better to be "selfish" and set aside time to deal with myself, rather than let it fester and get really bad again.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Me time mostly consist of laying aroudn the house in my underwear watching cartoons all day. I might play some video games in between the cartoons. But I find it the only to unwind and not get involved with the outside world. It's my only way to be at peace and not listen to other peoples problems.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I always look forward to "me-time" too. I love reading books and watching movies. I also enjoy shopping online. It's a stress-reliever and somehow a way to reward yourself for working hard every single day.
  13. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Me time consist of playing video games and frosted flakes. That's how I like to spend my me time. It's all about me and doing what I like to do, which is nothing and bumming around my bedroom.
  14. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Walking, reading, writing, and practicing music are all components of my me-time. Sometimes I like to take a random drive too, or go to a park. Playing dress-up is another big thing for me, even if I don’t end up going out and showing it off.
  15. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Me time. Great line! We sure do all need it! I like to turn on some music and get on the computer. Sometimes, I post in forums, sometimes I surf on subjects that interest me at the moment, other times I play an online game. Besides the computer, I like to garden. Well what I mean is I love to weed. I get such a great satisfaction of seeing a messy area and see it all cleaned up. If it is winter time and I am in a region with snow, I love to shovel, and in the fall it is leaf raking. These tasks are not chores to me. It is me time!
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am fresh out of talking about some "alone time" as I like to call it. I think most if not all of us require it and people ought to respect that. I was speaking about it earlier in relation to people who might be ill and visitors not understanding that sometimes even the ill just want to be alone: have some "me time". Invariably it also holds true of persons recovering from addiction and people in general I think.

For me I love to watch a good movie, read a good book or just enjoy some music among other things.