An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Medical Detox vs Natural Detox

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by keekz38, Apr 20, 2015.

1. keekz38

keekz38 Member

Which version of detox is more effective when it comes to maintaining sobriety? Does one have a higher likelihood of a user returning to their old lifestyle?
  2. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

You know, I'm going to guess that neither type of detox is superior to the other and it is simply which one is most suited to the person going into detox. There are some detoxes that are dead against giving medication on principle and others who are not legally allowed to give someone prescription drugs unless they are prescribed in advance by their doctor. Detoxes that are not medically equipped with visiting physicians and 24 hour nurse on duty, often refuse people detoxing from opiates and alcohol, as well as people who are abusing benzodiazepines as they can have medical complications from withdrawal. So as I said before, I think it depends entirely on the situation as to which method of detox will be successful. And it also depends on the persons attitudes towards drugs. If the person is likely to associate the detox experience as a place to demand as many detox meds as possible, then that's not the place for them, but for a person who is likely to go through an extremely bad physical and emotional detox, they may be well advised to take detox meds so that the discomfort from detox doesn't become so severe that they they are driven by pain, to leave. Having been through a nightmarish detox for alcohol in which Valium was given to me, I can tell you that the pain from withdrawal, though relieved some by the Valium as it allowed me to sleep, was bad enough that I was terrified to touch even a drop of alcohol for a very long time. I think if people know that they will get some help to ease them through a withdrawal they are afraid to face, they would be more likely to go to detox. A detox without medical intervention is the by far the best choice for others who feel that the addictive cycle will continue as it is merely replaced by a legal substance or who worry that the use of prescriptions will cause the recovering addict to relapse shortly after leaving. But I don't believe either is a superior method, rather the two allow a freedom of choice and greater range of options for those who want and need detox intervention.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Some people can't undergo a medical detox, so they go for a natural way of solving the problem, just as others need more powerful interventions in order to get healthy and sober again. Just like @JayLyn stated, it varies from person to person and there is no method better than the other. It depends on how weakened your body is and how many vitamin you need in order to get your body back to a normal, functioning state.
  4. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I don't believe either is better -- you should stick with personal preferences and whatever method works for you. The same can be said for mental health treatments. Some people say that medicine and therapy works wonders for them, while others may prefer the company of friends, intrinsic goals, and guided meditation. I have never believed in a cure-all for any type of illness or malady, but I do insist that you try something that you can control (setting personal goals or choice of therapy and medicinal options). Having a inner locus of control can provide positive results.
    kgord likes this.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I think people need to try the detox that is most effective for them. They may not have a choice as to how they are detoxed, but they should try whatever is the most appealing method for them. I don't know which is the most effective detox. I think you would have to do some research on this.