An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Medical detox worked for me

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. soberdoug

soberdoug Member

I have mixed feelings on detox and I know there's a lot of controversy but in my case it worked especially the last time I was in. I don't think I would have made it out alive the last time without the med assisted detox. I don't think everyone needs it necessarily but it worked for me. Anyone else go through it?
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey soberdoug,
    Med assisted detox helped me tremendously. I've kicked heroin cold turkey (in a jail cell) and in rehab (with Suboxone). The difference was basically like night and day. I'm glad it helped you, too.
    caparica007, Lackluster and Joseph like this.
  3. soberdoug

soberdoug Member

thanks jen
    glad I'm not the only one!
    Jen S. likes this.
  4. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

My god, you make a petty alcoholic like me feel like a wimp when I think of kicking my habit. You're an honest to God inspiration.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Holy moly. I think I'm the wimp compared to you alcoholics. Heroin withdrawal doesn't kill people. It's just not very fun :)
    Lackluster likes this.
  6. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

I've never been there, but I had a brother who detoxed from heroin now and he's fine, my mother assisted him. How long have you been clean and how did you get into this project?
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey caparica007, happy to hear your brother's doing well! That's awesome. It's been 6, almost 7 years now.
  8. caparica007

caparica007 Active Contributor

Thanks, he really been able to make it through so far, congratulations for your time as well, I am pretty sure it's for life. :)
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I like to think so, but can't afford to rely on it. :)
  10. shilpa123

shilpa123 Member

I think med detox works great quite a lot of time as it can be really helpful to a lot of people. It is really sad that for some people med detox does not actually work and they end up in a very bad position. I think it is advisable to use med detox carefully for your own well being and good health.​
  11. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey shilpa123,
    What exactly do you mean when you say for some people med detox does not actually work? Do you mean the withdrawal symptoms stay the same with medication, or the person does not stay clean?
  12. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Congrats this is a really great accomplishment
  13. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

So glad it worked for you. Is detox the same as going cold turkey?
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I guess it works for some. Perhaps a placebo effect in there too. If they tell you this will help, it will. The brain is more in control than the drug. The drugs just alter the state. There has to be a conscious decision to do something. The end focus that is there will determine. If someone is just doing something for other people or because they have no choice. If in the back of their mind they plan on getting right back to it. It all goes right back to intention.
  15. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Detox is great.It helps many peoples and works greatly.Many peoples get out from Heroin Addiction.I know about some People who uses Detox to get out from Heroin Addiction.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Congratulations I'm glad medical detox has helped you. I to have heard many stories of mixed reviews on the subject. I tend to believe to each his own. Different strokes for different folks. As long as a person gets clean I don't think it really matters how it happened. At least it is an option, and does work for some.
  17. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I haven't gone through it, but I want to say congratulations and I am so happy for you! :)