An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Medical Marijuana: Unintended Consequences?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Alex Waite, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Alex Waite

Alex Waite Member

The Senate here in Iowa just approved a bill legalizing marijuana for medical purposes. The statehouse has yet to take up the issue. Our governor has stated that he fears the unintended consequences of legalization for medical purposes. Is this just political maneuvering, or are these unintended consequences a real threat? Has anyone that lives in a state with medical marijuana seen or experienced these consequences? Does allowing medical marijuana lead to increases in violent crime, impaired driving injuries, or increased public health costs as our governor fears? If so, do the benefits outweigh the costs? What do you think?
  2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I think that medical marijuana has many benefits and helps people everywhere. I have never lived in a state that hasn't approved it for medicinal purposes and I haven't seen a negetive impact. I think 'unintended consequences' is political BS.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Medical marijuana is legal in many states and we've yet to hear any horror stories about it. I'm sure that if there were, the media would have jumped on them faster than the speed of light. Personally, I can't see anything problematic about allowing a cancer patient to access natural and effective pain relief whilst avoiding all the addiction issues that opiates can bring.

In fact, maybe that's the real issue - the replacement of opiates with marijuana. I'm pretty sure that Big Pharma is worried about this and I do wonder if some lawmakers have a hidden agenda with this issue.
  4. Merricat

Merricat Member

It's not just big pharma, for profit prisons is a big business and they make millions of dollars based off of drug offenses. Marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug in America, and if people had a way of getting it legally then that means some potential lost profits for them.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It may work if used for medical purposes and would need to be regulated as, most people try to misue the drug and also don't use it for recreational or medical use. In my country New Zealand it is regulated by the Nz drug foundation and only 48 patients have been allowed to use it and the cost is $1300 a month it is a spray and quite a bit to pay to use for help with back pain or illnesses. So most people may go the illegal way and just smoke it instead of going the medical way as the costs are too high and only good for the rich not for middle wokers or low ones which is sad to see.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It is for medicinal purposes. Just like any prescription drug out there, that can be used by others as well.
  7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

The potential loss of profits for traditional prescriptive drugs is quite significant, and has been the major reason that marijuana has been illegal for so long. It is puzzling that this problem is now being minimized. Perhaps the public has simply said enough is enough.