An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Carnold23, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I know several people who are prescribed marijuana for health conditions such as multiple sclerosis, aids, cancer ect.. I live in Canada.
    How does everyone feel about that? If marijuana is such a bad thing, then why is it being prescribed to help sick people?
    Do you think it should be prescribed?
    And what about to children? I have read stories where it was given to children to help cope with seizures and it helped them greatly.
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think marijuana should be legalized fully and freed like how the poisonous tobacco is! Why should you have to get a medical prescription to legally use marijuana when it has been proven to be very useful unlike tobacco?
  3. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I live in a medical marijuana state. First thing people do is start funneling it into black markets. I know a friend who was prescribed weed for spine pain, and first thing that happened is two or three low-level dealers started approaching him with money to buy his weed. They made it worth his while.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am totally in favor of medical marijuana, but I would always be against recreational marijuana because some people might abuse it. As for me, as long as there's a good reason why a certain person would need to use marijuana, I am absolutely fine with that. But if someone just wants to get high and forget about their problems, smoking pot is never the solution.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm not so sure. It's certainly a better idea than hitting the bottle. After all, how many people have a glass or two of wine at the end of the day? If it's not to get high and forget about their problems then what on earth is is for?
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Well it's proven that marijuana does have medicinal benefits. They say it helps people with MS too. I was wondering why they don't prescribe it as a pain killer. Most states have legalized it even for recreational use. As far as it being legalized by Federal Law who knows if that will ever happen. I can say it stands out from anything else they consider a drug because nothing else can cure ailments like this.
  7. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I'm hoping that the news is true that it will be becoming legal for medical marijuana use in New York State as of the beginning of 2016. As someone who's chronically ill and benefits from it, it could definitely make my life a whole lot easier.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Medical marijuana does have a number of benefits and should be legalized in all states. Actually, the Colorado experiment seems successful and all states could use the revenue, so I think small amounts of pot should be legalized in all states, but of course only for those of legal age.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Marijuana is better than some prescription drugs, but that doesn't mean it is harmless. Also, if you smoke it while you don't need to do so, it's like taking unnecessary pills. Personally, I would choose marijuana over painkillers or any other similar medicine. Everything is dangerous in wrong hands.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Anything can be bad for you if consumed incorrectly and in the wrong quantities. Medical marijuana normally shouldn't be smoked, it should be made into a tea. Since the thc is not water soluble and is only soluble if some fat is added such as milk in the brewing process, people that drink this tea won't get high and get the medical benefits of marijuana. I guess you could say that marijuana is like a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
  11. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I don't see anything wrong with marijuana and think it should be 100% legal. I live in California where it is medically legal, so long as you have your medical recommendation. When I had my recommendation, it was incredibly easy to get. The doctor handed them out like nothing. I have yet to hear a legitimate reason as to why it shouldn't be legal. Alcohol is so much worse.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don't see marijuana as bad, but of course it all depends on what you make out of it... I think marijuana is in a legal and moral limbo, has been placed there by our governments, because very few countries have completely legalized its use, yet in places like the US is used to aid really sick people. This is a very complex issue to me to be honest, because it very much depends on what kind of marijuana we are talking about and what uses we are planing to give to it.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If it is proven helpful in certain health conditions, I think it is just okay to be prescribed. Maybe the prescribed marijuana is used differently or not being smoked to be able to be used as medicine. That could be the difference why it is seen bad when it is being smoked and of course abusing it is bad.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't think marijuana is such a bad thing at all, although as others have pointed out everything has a good and a bad side and too much of anything is bad for you. I do think that society has been disillusioned with marijuana for a long time due to the way it has been portrayed and has been associated so closely with other substances. There was also, of course, a smear campaign against it many decades ago. People only recently seem to be becoming aware of the true benefits and potential of marijuana and not just for medicinal uses but for many other uses too.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have seen many cases of people using medical marijuana for their back or for an illness and it can help some people and if used correctly it can save lives which the man made drugs cause more pain than help, which people complain about. In New Zealand where, I live it has only been given to 60 people as the government has not allowed the drug to be legalized in New Zealand of now, since there are side effects or the political people are involved and not letting it be legal in New Zealand. I was reading an article few minutes ago that in 2016 it will be allowed to be prescribed to a patient from a doctor and wonder what will happen to the man made drugs, as many people will not use them and take the medical drug.
  16. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I think that while medical marijuana may have some benefits such as dulling the pain for cancer patients, I think that many people who are prescribed marijuana abuse it. As previous posters said above, it would be easy to sell medical marijuana to other people without a prescription. Also, I think there are people who just simply want to smoke marijuana, who do not need it medically who take advantage of the system.