An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meditating will help

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by megankl, Nov 15, 2014.

1. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

When I was fighting to stay sober I did A LOT and I mean A LOT of meditating. It seemed to help me in a weird way and I don't think I could of got through without that time to myself. Have you ever tried meditating and did it work for you?
  2. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I have tried it after my mom pleaded with me . I had racing thoughts and suffered from anxiety. Eventually I gave up and started medication. I often think I should start again though. I think it just takes time and commitment.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

There are infinite ways to meditate, the sitting mediation most people are aware of or know is but one. Truth is, one can meditate while standing or hanging upside down - I like to meditate when I'm a passenger in a moving car.

Also, meditation, as far as I know about it and through personal experience, is simply trying to balance ones' body and mind with nature - to understand one is not separate but a aspect of it all. Some people think that getting rid of thoughts is the way to meditate properly, but I disagree, because the moment one intends to rid a thought, is this not one then simply thinking to get rid of thinking?! Yes it is. I believe, meditation is about embracing first and then letting go of thoughts, and thus repeat continuously until one doesn't care to meditate anymore because the reason to do so has no diminished or vanished! This is why breathe controls are beginning practices for meditation, because it allows one to understand the balance of one with nature, which mind is grown from too.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree meditating helps but the problem is that not everyone is willing to go through the initial stages of learning how to do it properly so they end up just giving up too early and reverting back to their own ways. I find that meditation allows you to clear your head in a way that not many activities can allow, but like I said it takes a lot of work to figure our your own rhythm on how to go about it, so congratulations to you on your success and I wish for you to be able to continue on your journey.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice to know that meditating can somewhat helped you.
    I have read a lot about meditating already on various articles online and it really has good benefits. It can help you find peace or relaxed and feel better about yourself and the surrounding. It can also make one think better and be healthier.
  6. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

I used to be very skeptical of meditation. But the moment I tried it, I felt incredibly lifted. I remember the first time I did it I only spent three minutes. It was with the help of an android app called Meditate Free. Reading Arianna Huffington's Thrive actually got me really interested to start practicing meditation. And I'm very thankful that I made the right decision. I now devote a few minutes every day just to meditate.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I have done meditation. It is a really great practice. Does a great deal for you actually. What is interesting about is that people tend to notice when you do. Of course you do this in private, but they tend to see the difference in you. Calmer and very serene. There is a good vibration I guess that comes from you. 20 minutes or so at a time and then building up to longer lengths is best. Even just sitting still and clearing your mind is a form of meditation. Although meditation is a very specific thing to practice. But just sitting still relaxing is similar to it.
  8. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

Meditation is great unless you have anxiety or other similar issues. Trying to clear your mind can lead to making more space for intrusive thoughts. The proper, ancient way is long lost anyway... And while there are different modern ways to meditate, after suffering a backlash they all seem exactly the same to me, personally: harmful.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Truth be told had I known meditation could help me beat my addiction I could have used it many years ago to free myself. Much later after I'd already come close to seizing victory did I learn how useful it could be. It does help me fend off the cravings.
    It's probably because they do it the wrong way. I've heard it said that for some people meditation can be dangerous because it opens portals that could let malevolent spirits into their lives.
  10. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Meditation was really helpful for me in the first couple of days of recovery. I know for a fact that I was not that good at it and was missing out on some things, but even just sitting still and thinking provides a little clarity when you really need it the most. Those are the tough days, and any way that you can find to bring some peace and inner thought it is a good thing in my opinion.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I love meditation because it helped me stay calm through panic and anxiety attacks. It has helped me control my thoughts and focus on the positive thoughts. I love listening to calming music as well, it helps me become more relaxed and more rejuvenated. I take deep breaths whenever something's making me panic and it helps me focus and concentrate on what I need to do.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've tried it briefly - sometimes in yoga classes that I have taken they incorporate a level of meditation into it. I've always found it to be calming and soothing, and walked out of the classes with a renewed energy and positivity -- so I guess that means it's doing good for me!!
  13. abacabb

abacabb Member

Meditation can do wonders for the body and soul. The biggest issue is simply learning how to meditate efficiently. Everyone does it differently, and it's quite the adjustment getting used to it.

I used meditation with Crohn's Disease, and believe it or not it truly helped me feel better, so I put quite a bit of stock behind it.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Meditation has helped me to get away from prescription drug addiction. Meditation has helped my father to recover from clinical depression. Thus in my experience meditation is really helpful. However, in order to benefit from meditation, you must take meditation seriously.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Meditation does help but you have to be highly motivated to successfully pull it off during recovery. It also takes a lot of practice because if your mind has a lot of mental branches, it would be difficult to harness inner peace and healing.
  16. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

If you ruin your mood for a week several times by trying to find "the right way" you might finally start to realize that there is no right way, not for everyone. Meditation isn't a magically universal panaceum. The "malevolent spirits" thing sounds somewhat accurate...
  17. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have never really grasped what meditation is all about. It appears to be am abstract concept. I think the best deterrent against drug abuse is developing a strong faith and living one day at a time. Your thought life is the epicentre of the battle against drug abuse.