An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meditation is a Great Tool

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by johnny, May 6, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I'd warrant that those low to moderate average effects are still well worth it -- I don't know if you actually deal with anxiety or alcoholism? Every tiny things can help and if it feels good -- that moment of clarity and that feeling you have control over your mind -- it's nice. And if the more you do it the more your brain gets good at it, it's a useful tool. Obviously not a panacea, but overall not bad advice to give. Besides, we live in a world of constant mindnumbing entertainment, advertisement and distractions. It's good to take a break from that. Maybe you should just not think of it as 'alternative medecine'.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that meditation can really help. Although it may not be applicable or effective for everyone, at least to some. Better to try this kind of approach or method since this is free or can be learned by your own.
  3. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Whеn yоu nоtiсе thоughts, gеntly lеt thеm gо by rеturning yоus fосus tо thе brеаth. Dоn’t try tо stор thоughts; this will just mаkе yоu fееl аgitаtеd. Imаginе thаt thеy аrе unwеlсоmе visitоrs аt yоur dооr: асknоwlеdgе thеir рrеsеnсе аnd роlitеly аsk thеm tо lеаvе. Thеn shinе thе sоft light оf yоur аttеntiоn оn yоur brеаth.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It doesn't necessarily hurt to try it, except for the wasting time part. What little effect meditation may have can be achieved more efficiently by other methods.
  5. melody

melody Active Contributor

I practice a kind of meditation called Recapitulation. It is a process more than a meditation, but it involves the use of thought and memory, and then combines eye movement to help align the spirit and mind with the body. I then do a review of the past, something in it, a thought, a smell, and idea or concept. I focus on taking back what is mine, the energy I lost in exchanges forever and move my eyes right to left, while taking a deep breath in and then out. When I breath in I pull in everything in the memory, and when I breath out I expel what is not mine, keeping the energy an ideas that belong to me. It works for me, though most don't seem to care much for it.
  6. monty

monty Active Contributor

7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Actually more recent studies show meditation to be pretty well useless for most things.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Meditation can be a great help, however, if you are still doing drug it is hard to meditate because in meditation you need to develop concentration. You will be able to meditate only when you are able to develop deep concentration. First you have to give drugs and then begin meditation.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's something that can work for some and not for others. What most people actually don't know is that meditation can make underlying issues like depression worse . . .

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/03/14/when-meditation-worsens-depression-or-anxiety/
    Proceed with caution. Meditation might not be the answer you seek.