An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meditation

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by FuZyOn, Mar 29, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

This is very important to me. Being able to be peaceful at least a half an hour a day is very beneficial and does only good to you.
    You also train your brain and become more aware and thoughtful if you do this a lot.
    You can always develop some mental traits if you do this long enough.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I have tried it before. I could never actually do it, though. My brain is far from trained enough for that kind of discipline.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Meditation is good and has been scientifically proven to cause many positive and beneficial changes. It also has the power to influence genes, as suggested by Dr Bruce Lipton who believes that thought can manipulate DNA. I used to practice meditation a lot when I was younger but not so much now. I have also learned many other psychological techniques and relaxation techniques related to well-being, self-improvement, self-help, mindfulness, consciousness and suchlike. Some of these other tools are just as effective as meditation too. It's about staying focused, positive, peaceful and relaxed and not letting the real things going on in the world distract you all the time.
  4. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

That happens with time, I think. When I first tried, my brain kept wondering on and on, from topic to topic. It took me a while to learn to "quiet" my mind. I haven't done it much lately, but when I was doing meditation it did help a lot, made me calmer and more concentrated. I'll try to find some time for it again.
  5. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

It definitely takes practice.

I'd recommend trying guided meditations to help you get there. Also, I'm finding that the technique called "mindfulness meditation" is one that's really working for me. I don't get nearly as bored as I do with other types of meditation and it seems to fit better with my needs. You might want to try that out.
  6. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

It's all in your head! Meditation helps clear your thought process. As for those having difficulty with discipline, try focusing on your breath. Breath in, breath out. And start slow. Go from 5 minutes a day to an hour!
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Some people have a hard time finding the time out of their busy schedule to meditate. But everyone sooner or later will lay down to go to sleep. To me this is the perfect time to relax and meditate. Your already going to lay down and try to sleep, why not make it easier and do it there. There are different methods and techniques to meditating. but laying there, focusing on your breathing, and only thinking of that moment, will calm you and eventually you will fall asleep peacefully.
  8. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I've always wondered whether meditation was something any man could do. Would I be good at it if I gave it a try? It all appears so surreal to me. Being able to sink into my thoughts so deep that I detach myself from the conscious world I believe is beyond me. But perhaps a bit of training could change my mind. I might just start meditating myself just for the sake of it.
  9. kana_marie

Thank you! I'm going to look into both of those options. I've heard of guided meditation but this is the first time I've heard of mindful meditation. Seriously, thank you! I really want to find out if it can't help me.
  10. kana_marie

That's what happens to me. I can't quiet my mind at all. I actually think it is more active and abnoxious when I try to meditate. Lol
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, meditation is something any man (or woman) can learn how to do and is capable of. Sure, give it a try - but don't try to do anything. Instead, just allow yourself to meditate and let it happen naturally. There are some good online articles and some good books (or ebooks) that are available which teach you about meditation. There are also many books and articles about mindfulness.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

My problem is when I close my eyes, I fall asleep in less than 5 minutes, so as much as I want to quiet my mind, it permanently "gets quiet" in the form of sleeping. :D I think I should try doing it sitting down in the future to see if I will be comfortable sitting still enough to be able meditate successfully.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not have success on trying it. :p
    I find it hard to concentrate or to clear my mind. I have read some benefits of it and good if you can have those benefits.
  14. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I do actually advocate regular sessions of meditation, maybe before you sleep at night, or when you first wake up in the morning. It really clears your mind and gets your gears ready for the day ahead.
    Shimus likes this.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I haven't really been dead serious about doing meditation yet, but I know it's truly beneficial to a person's health. It helps your mind relax and you feel sort of peaceful, happy, and contented within, something like what they call "nirvana." I think I'll really try meditation one of these days.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. This is a very helpful method in keeping your mind healthy since you can work out some of your thought patterns and possibly correct them. Also just having some time everyday to be completely focused on relaxation and serenity helps a lot in keeping the mental noise to a minimum.
  17. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Most meditation techniques recommend sitting upright. You may still doze off, but you're not supposed to be laying down for the most part. You should sit up comfortably and try to focus your mind (not drift off).
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I see. Thank you for the tip, I noticed that if I sit upright and my back isn't leaning on something, then I eventually tend to be uncomfortable and I get distracted. Maybe it will work out if I do it on the sofa since I can also lean my back to it. Then I can concentrate on clearing my mind.
  19. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

This entirely. You just need to know when your meditation periods. When is the best for you? I find Early Morning/Lunch Break/Dinner/Before sleep for 10 minutes just sitting there with a blank mind can help you feel refreshed. We can sometimes feel too crushed down from the weight of things in life.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I do it in the morning for half an hour after I eat. I don't have time throughout the day because I'm busy most of the time but I always meditate before I go to bed.