An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meditation

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by musicmonster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

For years, it has been proven that meditation has healed a lot of problems in the human body. If you are trying to overcome your addiction, pause and consider meditation right now. Simply sit and do nothing for at least 30 minutes to one hour with your silenced mind and a headphone with some relaxing binaural music. It is going to calm you and eventually, you will be able to recover and not long for the same drug or addiction that your body used to want. It could take a while though, but just be patient. Do this everyday for the next 6 months and continue with it, and you will be able to see results. It would be awesome if you would share it here some of its effects as well. Stay strong and sober. :)
  2. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

It makes sense -- seek peace and happiness from inside of you rather than try to provocate it with outside substances. I think everyone should try this, not just addicts trying to quit... and yes I will try to meditate, at least once a week. For me, doing stuff like knitting and jogging feels like meditation, too. Because of not having the outside world fill up your mind, but to just focus on a task (one more stitch, one more step) lets you think more clearly about other stuff.
  3. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

That might be a little simplistic but meditation can help you learn to know yourself better and how to quiet whirling thoughts when you feel overwhelmed. I can see how it could be an aid to recovery.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've heard that meditation can help one fix a lot of issues but each time I've tried meditation my mind just can't shut off. Can anyone please share some meditation tips for beginners? I know most people find it [meditating] hard [the first time] and could find any advice shared useful.
    diprod likes this.
  5. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I personally find mindfulness meditation to be the easiest for me and specifically mindful tasks, where you bring your attention back to what you're doing physically. Typically repetitive tasks are used, like dishwashing, walking, even tapping a specific rhythm. Essentially, you can focus on ANYTHING to meditate. It can be your breath, it can be in the moment physical stuff, it can be a mantra. It helps that I don't have to sit still because sitting still too long creates pain for me.
    This link has a good explanation to start with. http://www.fitbie.com/get-fit/tips/moving-meditation-ultimate-zen
    Nichole W. and Rainman like this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think most addicts have a problem sitting still for 30 minutes and being disciplined enough to keep at it daily, so it really is an achievement whenever someone is able to do it so it probably also helps with self confidence as well which is great since the meditation itself also does the mind a lot of good already in the first place.
  7. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

I started meditation awhile back and I think it's a fair suggestion. You see so many people fighting addictions and succumbing to cravings and meditation is all about being finding a quiet space. I have never had any addictions other than when I'm hungry the body will let you know. I think we can quieten these voices down through easing ourselves into healthier habits. Stress is emotional and effects the physical, so maybe finding a quiet space can teach us how to ignore and ultimately defeat certain problems.
  8. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

Can you listen to a piece of music without hearing voices? It's no different. When you listen to music, you are saying to yourself you want to listen to music now. When you start meditation, you have to know in your heart what you want to achieve. You want peace of mind. Clarity. You want to experience a calmer state of consciousness.

Allow yourself five minutes to meditate. If you start to hear voices, allow them, but don't focus on them. Hold on to your intent. It might be worth trying at a different time of the day or on days where you've no major commitments to anyone, but yourself.

Start slow and it will find you. You won't find it. I've not meditated for that long, but you cannot allow the voices to beat you. Just remember your goals and observe. You can also make a mental note of what the voices say or the tone. Are they critical? Are they Random? If critical, perhaps some introspection will help.
  9. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I've always wanted to try meditation and the closest that I think I've ever gotten to it is after a very laborious yoga class. When I just sink into the mat in corpse pose and melt away in a state that is not sleeping but it does feel like my mind is at a complete rest. It has always felt incredible.
  10. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I'd have to agree with this because it has been effective to me as well. I have just been meditating for a year now and I have not been stressed since then. Had I know that it could that be just easy not to worry, I would've practiced this a long time ago.
  11. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

It was hard for me at first too. But you really would just have to get used to it. I mean, you will get the hang of it eventually. Just continue to sit there and do nothing, pause and not think about anything. The first few times will be a struggle but after a week of at least trying, your mind will learn it.
    Rainman likes this.
  12. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I truly believe meditation can heal so many things. Meditation helps me get in a positive frame of mind in the mornings, and helps me reflect on my days when they are over. I always recommend mediation for anybody who has trouble relaxing. I think it really helps, and you always feel extremely better afterwards.
  13. Nichole W.

Nichole W. Member

What a great resource, thank you for sharing this. I'm going to try to start incorporating this into my nightly routine. I've also heard good things about guided meditation. Has anyone found some good tapes they like?
  14. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

I use a breathing exercise as a form of meditation. For example, I lay on the end of my bed and stretch my arms to the side. I take a deep breath in, hold it for two seconds, then I release. I complete that method for about 15 minutes and it seems to melt my stress away little by little. I believe that meditation and setting at least 30 minutes to the side everyday, just for yourself, is very important to keeping a mentally healthy lifestyle.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've done meditation and yoga in the past. I used it when I use to compete for physical competitions. Meditation does help you relax and and free yourself from stress. Anyone can meditate and there is no such thing as having no free time to do it. Everyone takes naps or lays their head at night to go to sleep. You can easily meditate while you try to fall asleep. When you get good at it, you will notice that you fall asleep faster, and peacefully.
  16. fire421

fire421 Member

Many people laugh at meditation but I never understood why. Meditation has helped me overcome anxiety and made me a better person. You can even get high off of meditation if you master it.
  17. nessarconde

nessarconde Member

Meditation is one of the most powerful self-healing techniques one can use. Many of the problems we have begin in the mind. Maybe it's tumultuous, sad, confused and needs a break. Meditation can do that for you.
    At first it's a bit hard, just standing still and clear your head. It requires will power and the will to change, because one must continue to do the effort, with barely no results at first (that we are able to sense). But, if one continues to try and meditate everyday, even if it's just 5 minutes each time, there are results. We get less stressed, less anxious, more calm, kind and begin to view the world a lot differently. The way we were supposed to see it, if we didn't let the outside world affect us so much. Inner peace is the most powerful thing, and it can help people overcome just about anything. I highly recommend it to everyone.
    stariie likes this.
  18. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi Rainman. I found this article that might be a good read for you and practical as well to follow http://zenhabits.net/meditation-for-beginners-20-practical-tips-for-quieting-the-mind/. Although I don't practise meditation myself, I would really want to someday as I need to develop my concentration skills again. Thus, I read about it whenever I can. I read that it gives a lot of benefits to one's mental, emotional and physical health. Eventually, it can also be a start to spiritual enlightenment. Even devoted meditators see subtle results but can bring about intense changes when done on a long-term basis.

Good luck on your attempts!
    Rainman likes this.
  19. ic3squid

ic3squid Member

Meditation is one of the best treatments for addictions, and such. It completely relaxes your body, allowing you to escape to the deep depths of your mind. There, you can reach the spiritual understanding and enlightenment by thinking about yourself, and you only. It's a method that requires no medicines, no treatments, just a couple of hours and a soft pillow.
  20. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

This is good! When your brain is healthy, it cascades to your entire body. This method actually help a lot of drug addicted people.