An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meditation

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by musicmonster, Jan 1, 2015.

1. JennyHeart

JennyHeart Member

People that need forms of relaxation may just want to use the method of praying to ease their souls. When I pray it gives me faith in a higher power. Praying before the start of each day and ending each day may be an answer for many. Praying is good anytime of day. This comment is my views about meditation. This comment is not to push any certain religion on anyone.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Meditation can be extremely beneficial and therapeutic if you can find the time to actually do it. Meditation has already been scientifically proven to relieve stress, increase happiness, lower blood pressure, increase grey matter in the brain and increase memory. During meditation, the frontal cortex goes 'offline', the parietal lobe slows down and reduces the amount of sensory information coming through the Thalamus
  3. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

Of course it does, Musicmonster. It's a stress reliever and it helps me to stay more available for the important things in life such as Family and Friends.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

I agree, Meditation is maybe one of the best practices you can do to overcome not just addictions, in fact it can be helpful to fix any problem in your life, because when you meditate and leave your mind in blank, you could receive inspiration from our inner god, in other words, if we leave our mind without admitting any thought it may be: a remember, a worry, something you gotta do, or whatever you think; it won't let you hear our inner wisdom, and that wisdom can only be achieved when we have our mind blank, empty without any image, or word flowing through your mind, also it can even heal your body, if you imagine when you take a deep breath that you are absorbing a blue energy that runs all over your body it actually regenerates all your body, and when you exhale, you imagine you are letting go all that pain, and stress, also it is proven scientifically, that meditating is a way being naturally happy and regenerate or even improve your brain capabilities.

Regards and good luck.
  5. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Lately I have been under a lot of stress and still am. I need so restart the meditation sessions which will hopefully help me cope with stress. I am sure that if meditating I can calm my mind and rest my body.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Mindfulness, meditation, hypnosis, relaxation techniques, visualization and all that sort of thing - basically anything related to how the human mind works - are really my main fascination and something which I have been studying and learning about for several years now. NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) is also another favourite subject of mine which can be used to create change in your life and help you deal with things better - it does get quite advanced though. I am also fascinated with the 'science of consciousness' which basically falls under the category of quantum physics/mechanics.
  7. stariie

stariie Community Champion

One of the most helpful things that I have found as far as meditating goes is something I read many years ago about how to deal with the mind not shutting off, and that is to be gentle with the mind. For instance, let's say you're doing a 10 minute breathing meditation where the goal is just to focus on your breathing for 10 minutes... you are going to notice that in a very short while, your mind is thinking of all kinds of other stuff and you are totally no longer concentrating on your breathing at all.

This book advised to gently bring your thoughts back to your breathing. Like an adult holding the hand of a small child and that child begins to pull in another direction, wondering off, you gently pull them back. Same with the mind.
    You find your thoughts not shutting off, you gently bring your thoughts back to your breathing. No frustration, no irritation. Just do the best you can. If you can't sit still for 10 minutes, then do it for 5. Work your way up.
    As with all good things in life, it takes work, but it's worth it and totally do-able.
    Rainman likes this.
  8. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I so agree with you. Even 5 minutes a day can help. And as you wrote, so many problems, if not all of them, begin in the mind and so it's important that the mind gets a rest from all the problems, worries and drama that can ail it on a daily basis.