An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meditative Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by menace, Oct 18, 2014.

1. menace

menace Community Moderator

I know it sounds weird but try it. You don't have to use a lot of weight and the results are amazing. Whenever I feel like drinking or using now I go right for the weights. But it's not a strenuous workout. It's actually relaxing.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Weight lifting has been known to relieve back up pressure and anger. I remember having a punching back at my house and whenever I had bad feelings going on in my life, I would hit the bag until I got exhausted. Guess what? After that I wasn't flustered or angry anymore. I released everything on the bag and from there I can start being positive again.
    menace and ExpertAdvice like this.
  3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

You and me both, I too love to punch punching bags, not only for a method of relieving stress but also as a way to mix my workout routine, sometimes a skip, sometimes I punch and sometimes a run, dancing is another way I relieve stress and allow myself to feel happy, the hard thing is that, addictions can ruin your life, and it's not until you find another way to deal with that addiction that you move away from it. But, I should warm anyone, punching does put a strain on your back just as weight lifting does, so it's best if you learn how to punch properly before doing so.
    menace likes this.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have some friends who do this too, but they just lift weights and I'm not sure they meditate during it. I think it's an excellent way to keep your mind off of your addictions since it allows you to focus on something intensely and thus keeps your mind busy, and the best thing about it is that you even get your body at a healthier state as a result.
    menace likes this.
  5. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

This is something new to me. I lift weights, but I've never heard of meditative weight lifting before. It sounds really odd, to be honest. I like lifting weights. In fact, it's my only form of exercise nowadays. I'll be looking up about this method and see how it goes.
    menace likes this.
  6. menace

menace Community Moderator

I know the "meditative" aspect may sound sort of strange. It's really not any special technique or "mode" of weight lifting. It's really just about being super ultra present with each movement, and the movements are slow and controlled. Instead of focusing on weight the focus is more on resistance and duration. A derivation of this is doing yoga postures with light weights. Sorry, I should have been more descriptive in my original post. I guess the point isn't exactly what we do or how we do it. It's that we do something. Regular weight lifting is awesome, too!
  7. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

That's what I was thinking. In that case, I sometimes do meditative weight lifting without me knowing it!
    menace likes this.
  8. I boxed for years, and this has always been a tremendous way to release built up tension. I can see how using workouts to relieve the stress, tension, and temptation involved with recovery.
  9. wlrahilly

wlrahilly Member

Interesting! I would never have thought of this type of therapy. However, it does make sense given that punching bags and things of that nature help to relieve stress and other issues.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Apart from weight lifting,i generally view any form of exercise as an ideal way of keeping our minds and bodies busy,too busy to think of negative things like taking drugs.Exercise helps our bodies by flushing out toxins and keeping us healthy in general.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Meditation weight lifting. Ok I've heard it all. Visualizations and all of that is kind of interesting. Exercises of the mind of course this will help you.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Ha, I do it as well! Seriously, it's the most relaxing thing after a full day. I usually listen to music while doing it, so that amplifies the contemplative mood. I just love the feeling. Most people are scared of the term "weight lifting", but it is not as bad as it sounds. It's actually a great activity to do.
  13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I've never heard of meditating while weight lifting, but now that I'm thinking about it, it really makes sense. Putting a small amount of stress on yourself while focusing would be surprisingly relaxing. I can see this working while doing planks as well. I'm assuming this would work similar to how yoga works, since a lot of yoga involves strength.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I actually did this yesterday! I was grouchy because my husband had to go away for a work conference, so I'm alone with a sick baby and the weather is rainy and gloomy - so instead of turning to something destructive I did a kettlebell workout while my little one napped. Something about working my muscles just took away the anger and frustration -- exercise does wonders for my mood!
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried weigth-lifting before, but I do meditate once in a while. Anyway, thank you for sharing that exercise trick to us here. I would probably give it a try one of these days. :)
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I know exercise can release those feel good hormones in the body, so it is advisable to exercise if you want a distraction. I have never heard of meditative weight lifting before, but I'm inclined to think that it will work to keep an addict's mind off of the cravings.