An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mental Health and Drug abuse

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by DaniMiranda, Oct 27, 2014.

1. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

This topic coincides very well with mental health issues. A lot of the time, those who abuse suffer from some variation of a mental health concern. I can relate.
  2. jgon3491

jgon3491 Member

I agree sometimes they go hand in hand. It's sad that it's easier to access alcohol and or drugs versus getting mental help. That's probably the main reason why they turn to substance abuse.
  3. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

Yes. And it is sad. I deal with this issue daily. It isn't easy for people like me who combat mental health issues and alcohol abuse. There should be more rehab places that offer help for both and simultaneously. I have yet to find one.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It does come from somewhere and often it is because people have experienced life altering situations or events that they could not cope with and had no one to guide them, it could also be a number of other reasons but they are reasons and before getting healthy all the issues have got to be resolved before anyone can continue on through a recovery period.
    Zyni likes this.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

A lot of persons refuse to understand that we are all made different from each other, therefore our level of tolerance differ from each other. Mental problems are the main cause of substance abuse as persons are seeking comfort, that extra shoulder to lean on. When I used to rely on alcohol, I did not get much satisfaction but if I had a facility that could help me I would not have turned to it in the first place.
  6. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Sure, we need to have some sort of instability to try drugs, because if we were rational about it we would realize that it's nothing more than an escape from reality...
    Zyni likes this.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I strongly support you on that one, most of the time people find it much easier to access alcohol and drugs that it is to get the right treatment for a health facility, especially for those who do not have health insurance or the money to pay for it.
  8. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I have notice that a large portion of those who suffer from drug or alcohol abuse actually do have some sort of mental illness. The drugs and alcohol seem to be abused most especially by those with Bipolar Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, from what I've seen.
  9. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Doesn't everyone try to escape from reality in one form or another? Drugs and alcohol are the bad choice or reality escape but even rational people attempt to escape the realities they are in. I think there may be something else that pushes people in that direction and I think it is on a social level.
  10. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Yes, sometimes mental health, or lack thereof can come into play when it comes to drug abuse, but sometimes a person who is mentally sound can choose to do drugs, and after the drugs take hold, that "healthy" person can become an addict. Drugs are no respecter of person, if tried, they can affect whomever.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

People who have a mental case end up using drugs regardless. Its a bad case with someone who has a mental problem when they want to do drugs and do not have the capacity to get out. However I feel bad for those people even the mentally ill have a conflicting story that shows why he or she abuse the use of drugs. Even some of the successful people who are mentally capable end up abusing drugs which puts them in a negative mental state.
  12. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

If you have some type of mental disorder you are definitely more likely to abuse alcohol or drugs and try to escape your problems OR become addicted to whatever meds you are taking to cure your problem and become an addict that way. Not always but the statistics are dramatically different compared to a mentally stable person.
  13. Peninha

That's exactly the point kevin, we all do. I remember when I started, it was purely recreational for me, I wanted to try new things but I was not aware of the consequences that it would bring.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Drugs have a direct effect on the brain so one gets affected mentally.It's no wonder that someone who's intoxicated may suffer from hallucinations and throw tantrums for no apparent reason. Most of the patients in mental institutions are recovering drug addicts or have used drugs at one point in their lives.
  15. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are right, I tend to think that , when they start realising that they have a mental illness, they begin to consle themselves with alcohol and drugs, maybe because it is much easier than seeking medical attention, so they end up being addicted to drugs and alcohol before they now get the right treatment.
  16. Peninha

These days it's really easy to start taking drugs because we have lots of problems in our life, but we should deal with problems and not resort to the easiest way out.
  17. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

A lot of factors are definitely involved prior to the start of abuse with alcohol and substance. Some do it out of peer influence or pressure, curiosity and defiance towards authorities especially the parents. It actually often starts with problems that you want to escape from, stress and a whole lot of negative feelings that people want to cover up or lessen. But all these reasons point out to one's frame of mind at the onset of substance use. If you're being logical, I guess you will not even think of going through it all. As a logical person, you will have the sense to know it will not be good for you at all which I think most addicts knew from the beginning.
  18. Peninha

I think there are several steps in this process, but for me the most important is to create awareness, awareness that drugs is not just get high and enjoy, far from it.
  19. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Taking steps to make sure that you are mentally and emotionally healthy are the best things you can do if you have a substance abuse problem because they will aid you in becoming confident and stable enough to make safe and productive decisions about your recovery.
  20. Peninha

That's right Nikki, but are we in conditions to take those steps? We live in a really demanding and exhausting world, so sometimes we just lose it.
    RoseK likes this.