An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mental Health Drugs: low dopamine production (such as ADHD) drug treatment good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Lola2485, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Lola2485

Lola2485 Member

I resisted drugs for over a year in therapy. I was showing up every week, give or take an oversight or two, doing all the things that were supposed to help, and trying to manage my life without the usual crutches (food, drugs, alcohol, withdrawing from loved ones). When it managed to get out of control again - when I got arrested again - I finally caved for the meds.
    I've been on all sorts of drugs as a teenager, I've experimented with the same elements of the drugs I am now prescribed.
    Is it good or bad?
    Obviously the self-medicating was not helping, but the same drugs in legal form are the ones they want me to take.
    It all seems like a confusing circle and I can't help but look at big business in such a situation. Sell people the same drugs they find on the street, but make it legal and in certain amounts with strict regulations.
    Any opinions on this train of thought?
    missbishi likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The reason that amphetamines are illegal is basically because they can be extremely harmful when abused. Plus, there is no guarantee that your wrap is 100% pure. It could contain absolutely anything. The law is there to prevent abuse and minimize harm.

Amphetamines have been prescribed for decades (even soldiers in WWI were given them) and they only became "street drugs" after tighter controls were placed on their availability. Much like heroin and cocaine.

That's not to say Big Pharma isn't corrupt at all - of course it is. At the end of the day though, it's up to you whether you take these meds or not. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Just do what you feel is right for you - don't feel pressured to take them, don't feel pressured not to take them.
    stariie likes this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well I am a big proponent of doing what works. What works for one person may not work for another. I think what ever you can do to obtain relief from your current situation is what you should do. I mean try a number of methods to obtain relief. As the poster above said...do the benefits outweigh the risks? This is something you need to decide for yourself.
    stariie likes this.
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

There was a time in my life where medication really helped me from spinning out of control. I say take your meds if they make you feel better.

Of course big business is involved because big business is involved in almost everything these days, but so what. Prescriptions can and do help. I don't currently take any prescribed medication, but I have in the past, and I was thankful for it. It made a difference in my life. I've also abused prescription drugs, but hey, stuff happens.

People will always have an opinion on what is going on in someone elses life, but like both posters said above, do what works for you. Don't feel guilty about it. Street drugs are dealt from the street, that is a part of street life, but medication is part of the medical profession. There is no sin or shame in taking your meds. If they make you feel better, then great!!
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sounds like a trap. There are a lot of people who resist the drugs prescribed and there is good reason for that. People are on one side or another of it. If you've ever resisted it you need to fully wake up. The side effects are worse than when you start out.
    If you think any of this stuff is good for you. Great, stay asleep keep taking the red pill. Its amazing how belligerent the people are about clinging to toxic drugs are. They are so full on brainwashed that they continue as if it is the only way. Apparently it is for them. I guess they are meant to be slaves to a cash cow.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Many people who suffer with ADD/ADHD will tell you that amphetamine-based drugs, whether prescribed or through self medication, caused them problems in the long run. My nephew was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and still takes medication for it now. However, my stepson was diagnosed with ADD as a child and his doctor refused to prescribe any medication and said he would grow out of it. He has indeed grown out of it.
  7. True concern

True concern Moderator

The medication is indeed a trap,I didn't have a say at the age of 6 and I often wonder "What might I had accomplished right now"if I did have that choice.i will admit I struggle a bit with self pity and poor me syndrome simply because it's impossible up to this point in life to not blame something else especially since it is completely justified....well in my eyes it is however I do realize I need to get my head in the fight so I can at least take ownership of the time I have left.
    deanokat, Joshstillclean and Dominica like this.