An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mental health workers on the front lines

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jul 4, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...h-pros-to-the-front-lines-with-cops-1.3024000

Local Canadian police forces have been sending mental health workers out with police. These workers have specific training in dealing with mental health issues as well as drug abuse and misuse issues.
    I think this is a great idea, as police officers have a more board training they don't understand the subtitles of dealing with the mentally ill and the addicted.
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

This must be a very tough job for Mental Health workers and the law-enforcers. It takes courage and genuine care for fellow-human beings. I also wonder why drug-pushers and drug-prescribers don't get caught and put to jail!

I hope there is some kind of mutual work among struggling people, workers and law-enforcers to root out the real cause of mental illness and drug-abuse. Too often, and sadly, easy-fix-drugs-on-everything has to be taken in a seriously new light and must be put a stop to it. War on drugs case.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Now this is a great idea. Workers trained in mental health situations may well be able to diffuse a sensitive situation before it explodes. Whilst there's no doubt that the police do a worthwhile job, they aren't trained health professionals and support from mental health workers during certain situations will surely go a long way to promote harm reduction.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Yes I agree, police officers are not trained mental professionals. I also think that it takes a very special kind of person to put yourself in front line because you are often times dealing with people when they are at their lowest points in time. It is not easy accepting the fact that you need help just as much as it is not easy providing the help others need to get clean.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That is a brilliant idea that I hope will be well publicized and implemented in the U.S. soon. We have so many tragedies involving mentally ill people who responded to the police out of fear and ended up being shot when a different approach or better understanding of what was going on could have prevented the use of deadly force.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I find this idea wonderful as well. As others have pointed out, it takes a different skill set to deal with a situation involving mental health and/or addictions, and specially trained mental health workers can help provide that. I’d like to see this practice become more common in the next few years.