An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mental Illness and Recovery

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by fullmetal24, Apr 27, 2020.

1. fullmetal24

fullmetal24 Member

Hello everyone. So I take an antipsychotic every night, I have over 3 months clean. Sometimes I feel that other people in recovery correlate medication with using. What are your thoughts? I am schizo-affective.
  2. Monique2703

Monique2703 Member

Psych meds are not drugs, and if anyone makes that correlation, they are coming from a place of ignorance. So much "good advice" is nothing more than the opinions of people who have not taken the time to educate themselves about the facts. I take a multitude of medications for mental and physical health issues. I am not on the street buying drugs or using my prescription meds to get high. Are you using your psych meds as prescribed? If so, don't worry about what other people think. Good luck on your journey to self-discovery.
    True concern likes this.
  3. True concern

True concern Moderator

On behalf of myself mostly and and others who may have made such suggestions I sincerely apologize as we here never try to alienate nor judge other's however sometimes the human condition interferes with everyone's better judgement and or choice of word's.
    Stay Strong and God bless you
  4. RSH85

RSH85 Member

I also suffer from anxiety. To somehow deal with it, I work out a lot to angry music. Just try to transform that negative energy into something productive. Believe it or not it makes an anormous difference. When I feel I'm overwhelmed, I take anti-anxiety pills (supplied by Canadian Pharmacy ). Those two methods are absolutely effective for reducing my anxiety in tough situations.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

What causes my anxiety are my control issues engendered by perfection. I’m involved in music. The arts are a creative practice, not perfection. Perfection is trying to change others (the world), future tripping and regretting the past of which isn’t living in the present one moment at a time. Most importantly, when I remember that control is an illusion, I'm in the present and don’t suffer anxiety.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Clean over 3 months, good for you. I've been observing for 50+ years that some in recovery groups are ignorant, because they don't understand the science behind many like yourself that are in recovery.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  7. landmarkboston1

landmarkboston1 Active Contributor

Certain illegal drugs can cause people with an addiction to experience one or Recovering From Mental Health Problems and Substance Use.