An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth addict being a fat shamer

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by TripleD123, May 1, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

My mom was hooked on meth for years. She still struggles with sobriety. She doesn't think meth was anything bad. In fact she looked at it as the best diet drug around. She was skinny and could keep off the extra pounds. She thought the fact that it suppressed her appetite made it a God send...

It also turned her into a fat shamer. She constantly puts people down who have weight issues. All she see's is fat fat fat. Now that she hasn't been using and she has put on extra weight all she does is complain about how she never had this problem when she used.

Does meth really mess someone's brain up so bad that they think being skinny is so much better than being sober?
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's known that meth causes fixation on other people's defects. In fact, I know a lot of people who blame others even for surrounding them and "breathing their air". I really wouldn't like to be around this kind of people, even if they are family members.
    So, to conclude an answer to your question: Yes, it's possible to cause such mess in one's brain.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Well, it depends on which issue came first, the weight issues or the drug abuse. Either way, meth can indeed change a person's brain and the way they think. Perhaps your mother sees meth as a great weight loss aid because her true issue is with her weight. I have no idea of knowing that, but meth is obviously something that your mother is best away from. It doesn't matter which issue came first in the end, as long as your mother stays away from meth.
    TripleD123 and IrishHeather like this.
  4. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

I tend to agree with AFKATafcar, about needing to know if the fat-shaming behavior came before or after meth use. It is entirely possible that the meth caused her to become fixated on this subject if in fact it had already been a part of her conscious. Meth tends to rid of us of our normal discretionary tendencies. Trust me... your mother is so much better off without the meth use. Keep encouraging her and let her know from time to time you are proud of her decision not to use this destructive drug.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I didn't know this about meth and it causing a fixation on others defects - so that was interesting to read. I can't imagine how difficult that would be - having a loved one that would rather be hooked on such an addictive and destructive drug rather than gaining a few pounds. I can tell you I would rather be a little chunky than addicted to meth - I've seen before and after pictures of what meth does to a persons appearance, and whilst they may lose some pounds their overall appearance looks sick and unhealthy - and old. It seems to age people so rapidly.
  6. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

I cannot stand that. At all. If you're not perfect in your life and your past, you have no right to judge. I mean, everyone has stuff that they need to work on. It only makes your problems worse by trying to tell other people about theirs. I do hope your mom gets better though.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The problem is in her self image and not the drug it self. She has gone the the extreme of using meth as a means to get skinny. Meth didn't make her use it, she did it to herself so she can look good in her eyes. It had nothing to do with Meth. She needs counseling asap.
  8. TripleD123

I honestly never even thought about it this way. Before she divorced my real dad and started using she always seemed to be a happy, healthy woman. She was a normal body type. Maybe she did have body issues then. She started using with my step dad, the man she left my dad for and instantly started dropping weight. I think partly she loved feeling "loved" by her new mate and also loved feeling skinny. It ruined her mindset from there on.
  9. TripleD123

Right? The aging and gaunt deathly look makes any skinny body look bad.
  10. TripleD123

Tell me about it. Try being her daughter. I am not skinny by any means...but I also don't think I look morbidly obese. I'm healthy and happy in my skin. All she can do is make jokes about my weight. My WHOLE life she was always trying to cover me up or make me wear bigger clothing than I needed to because in her words "no one wants to see your muffin top". True story.
  11. TripleD123

I am now realizing that. She must have had really low self esteem. When the meth made her lose weight she thought she had struck gold. Lets not face the fact that it made her age a hundred years and made her teeth rot our of her head.
  12. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Sometimes people have a huge image of themselves and when the body changes, in appearance than a person can just see something which is not there and affects the mind. I think that, self esteem is needed and if a person loses weight from this than it can come back and also the brain does not think right at times and can be hard to face. Sometimes people get worried, about things which are small and can turn themselves into a person who hates things and tries to use others as well.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

She must have had some issues to start with if she believed that meth was a cedible way to lose weight and keep it off. Whilst her meth use has stopped, she hasn't addressed the underlying issues which led to her addiction.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah well that is something that people think that way. She was malnourished and calorie restricting. The brain cells would of course decompose and loss of life in some cells.
    Being over weight is not a pleasant thing so I can see where some people might enjoy this unhealthy way of staying thin. Current and long term effects are just not worth it.
  15. cotyb

cotyb Member

Meth does a number of things to you when you use it. Short term it speeds up your metabolism and changes your thought pattern usually making the user feel more open minded which leaves the user far more likely to do things they would not normally do like peek out the windows for one but much worse too. Long-term effects though are over aging, body wear and tear, brittle bones (you will notice bad teeth) and mind deficiency or brain damage. Though I will say I'm pretty certain it affects you more physically over long term due to your hyperactive metabolism eating your body away once your stomach becomes empty (even your bones) but it does your affect your brain as well so to answer you question yes. If you use meth enough long enough it can cause long term judgement impairment or brain damage but something to consider too that being intoxicated over being sober is more of an addict thing than a meth thing. It doesn't matter the drug any addict wants to not be sober and will try to find anyway to justify that.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, from your story, I can figure out that she started using meth because she wanted to be skinny and keep that body shape (though I might be wrong).

And to answer your question, meth and drugs in general mass up someone's brain so badly that they put their addiction before anything else. It's horrifying, but drugs turn you into another person.

I don't get why people use drugs or pills to stay skinny. There are many other ways to keep in shape (and most importantly, be healthy!).
  17. I am in no way judgemental, I feel really sorry about your mother. It seems that your she is not really over the whole ordeal. Calling addictive poison by any other name means one thing: the user is looking for excuses for their actions. Those apologetics oftentimes lead to rationalising and that is a very dangerous mindset. Think about it this way: someone who set their house on fire could argue that at least all the rats in the cellar are gone now, so it had to have some positive point to it too, right? And then take into account that setting the house on fire made them feel better, got them rid of all worries for a short episode of time. Somehow you have to find a positive thing in the dying embers, even though if it means being irrational.
    Feeling good about losing weight through amphetamines—that's like an unemployed person bragging about having the whole week off (source of that metaphor).

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: as I said, people seek to rationalise their irrational behavior, so I guess there are two main points in what your mother is doing. On the one hand she tries to push her self esteem by pointing out what she perceives as a physical flaw, on the other hand she puts her own flaw in relation.

I hope all that gets sorted out. Best of luck for your family and especially to your mother in overcoming the addiction!