An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth can really destroy a person

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 5, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I live in the Midwest, where meth is a huge problem. One reason it is so bad is that it is created from fertilizer that most farms use. It isn't too difficult to steal it.

I have known numerous people that have abused meth for years. Not only does it tear you apart on the inside, it deteriorates a person's looks like you can't believe. I can think of two women I went to school with. Both girls were pretty in high school. Both were blond, and average weight. A few years out of school I saw them and both had dark circles under their eyes, their face was caved in and emaciated. They were walking skeletons that looked like they were fifty or sixty, instead of their young twenties. One of the girls (as far as I know) never got help. I heard recently she got her kids taken away. I imagine it had to do with drugs. The other girl goes back and forth. I only see her about once a year now, but I can always tell when she has been clean, and when she has not. When she's clean she is a reflection of her younger days (although she will never get it all back, some destruction is here to stay). It is just too bad. I dabbled in meth in my younger days, so I am no saint, but I also did not let it rule (ruin) my life.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Congratulations on not letting meth take over you. Also, those women should get some help as soon as possible. Meth is a very severe drug, and meth addicts look like rotting corpses! I don't know why people even touch that thing.
  3. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

Meth is probably the poster child for before/after pictures. I´ve seen pictures of someone who had never used Meth before, and then a picture for 4 months later. They looked like a different person. And really the worst part is most of the damage can´t be repaired, lost teeth and the scars from sratching/infections are lifelong.
  4. Not only does meth destroy the individual using it, it destroys entire familys. Meth abuse is really a growing problem in our nation.
  5. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Really it may sound ignorant but it was the show 'Breaking Bad' that really opened my eyes to how bad meth addiction can be. Later on I read about it and used to see before/after pictures of normal people and then only a year later after being on meth how destroyed they looked. It was difficult to look at.
  6. Denise

Denise Member

Meth destroys everything, everyone, it dont matter the person's background, economic level, educational degree, it had destroyed my life. Slowly torn my family apart. But it changed me to be the person I am today.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've had family members that were drug free their whole lives, but tried Meth once, and they were hooked. What was once a experimentation turned into something that would change them forever.

Bare in mind that they are my relatives, but I had distance myself from them for a few months to almost a year due to work and other things. But when I saw them a few months later I could not believe what I saw. They had lost so much weight, their eyes now bulged out of their eye sockets because they face looked as it aged 20 years and was a skeleton of its former self.

We had pleaded with them to give up Meth but they would not listen and kept on using. Eventually they went to jail for usage and only then had they realize that they had a problem. Several years later they got out and mentally different. They were now clean but they just weren't the same in the head. Meth had taken out a few pieces of the puzzle and they just weren't the same.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Meth is a very harmful drug and it really does not take very long for it to take over someone's life and completely make them look sick. I have seen people decline in a short period of time when they get hooked on the substance. I was always too scared of it because of the fact that it is nothing but chemicals entering your body.
  9. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Yes, meth can sadly completely consume a person both mentally and physically. There was an America's Next Top Model contestant who became addicted to meth. As you can see, she was drop dead gorgeous, but doesn't even look remotely like the same person now. And good for you, I'm glad you never had to experience anything like this. [​IMG]
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Oh, wow, that is crass. I wonder how long this sad transformation took for this girl. I have seen several documentaries where people's personality and appearance changed dramatically within a couple of years of using meth. Not to mention the awful damage it does to the organs and nervous system... what a dreadful poison.
  11. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

There are a lot of drugs that can destroy your life really quick, especially relatively expensive drugs like coke. But the difference with Meth, and why I consider it the worst, is that it destroys your physical body just as fast as it destroys your life. People would never use meth if they were forced to look inside the mouth of a person who has been using for 6 months.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Interesting, as far as I know, I've never done traditional "meth", but I did go through a period a few years ago when I was doing a lot of the "designer drugs" which were supposedly variants of meth such as Mephodrone. Just from my personal experiences, I recall cocaine being far more addictive and having more of a grip on me than mephodrone ever did. I only got addicted to meph when I binged on it for hours or days at a time, but if I quit for a few days I was pretty much in the clear.

I'm curious how different meth is from meph in that regard. Perhaps people who are using meth could benefit from switching to something like meph in the process of ultimately trying to quit.
  13. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I didn't know meth is created from fertilizers. Maybe this explains why it is so widespread also in my country. I have to agree of the ill-effects of meth and how it can destroy a person and his/her family. My friend’s mom was a meth user, and it was a traumatic experience for him as a child and growing up. It was the reason why his parents divorced and how he ended up being in a broken family. His mom lost her job and left them and his father. Right now, his mom is already clean, but I don’t know if he has forgiven her for giving in to peer-pressure and succumb into substance abuse. But I am proud of him since he still grew up with morals and values despite what he experienced.
  14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I used to live in Las Vegas and meth is a HUGE epidemic there. I remember at one point every one of the neighbors I had was using it. I promised myself I would leave that crazy place before my daughter started school and am so glad I did.
  15. kate23

kate23 Member

It's so sad to see people's lives destroyed by using meth. Out of all the drugs out there meth seems to be the most dangerous one. I've heard that even being around a meth lab can be really dangerous.

I've never known anyone that's used meth but I've seen some shows on it and it was a real eye opener. And I read the novel Under the Dome a couple of years ago and remember how devastating the usage of meth was in there.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is interesting how a persons appearance can change and how meth can change a person from a human to someone who does not care about their health. Meth can ruin relationships, and cause you to make foolish choices which will have a negative impact on your life. I reckon, that saying no and avoid association with people who do it will bring positive results for you and also will save your life from being ruined by this drug.
  17. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Oh, I've personally seen people getting their lives destroyed by such a horrendous drug. Like you've mentioned, they completely have both their personality and physical looks changed, forever unfortunately. They might be able to change their personality and quit any time, but the latter... I don't know what to say.
    Furthermore, it isn't like marijuana to make you a lazybones, for example... meth literally destroys every human affinity you have, and nothing changes unless you quit.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Absolutely, it's one of the worst drugs on the face of the planet. At one point I was addicted to MDMA but I decided to change my life. Unfortunately I have a close friend that started on ecstasy and is now totally addicted to meth. His health is deteriorating on a daily basis, I'm afraid his not long for this world. Family and friends have tried to help him but to no avail.
  19. Plz say u didn't look any further! Consider urself still on the sideline, able to walk ther way! By meph r u sayin methadone? Not even close! Ive been addicted to anything n everything that was abusable, and usable! U shold hit the books with a curious mind! While u still have a mind and the library allows u and ur not in jail or worse... Steer clear with fear. Meth will eat I up inside out! 37 years an addict of it all yet still I try worse. Stay safe!!
  20. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think meth is horrendous. Looking at picturs people on TV who have used for any lenght of time, and they have rotten teeth, blotchy skin. and look like they have aged 30 years in a few months. I would never use this drug under any circumstances. I don't care if it made me feel like I touched the face of God, it would not be worth it.