An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth destroyed my close cousins life.

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by sillylab, Nov 2, 2014.

1. sillylab

sillylab Member

It's been going on for about four years. Every time he goes to rehab he just ends up back on the street it's really getting depressing. He has gone to jail 3-4 times now and rehab 3 times. He broke into our house once a couple years ago and tried to open a can of beans with a knife and destroyed our kitchen counter. Just 3 days ago he walked right into our backyard and stole my bike.

I really don't even know if he can be helped at this point it's just awful. When he is sober enough to talk to he just isn't even the same person.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi sillylab,
    I'm sorry to hear about what your family is dealing with. Have you considered joining an al-anon or nar-anon group to help you understand your cousin's disease a little better? A support group can help family/friends of addicts protect their own sanity and avoid being victimized.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I would not say he can't be helped, but it sounds like he doesn't really want it at this point. He has to come to the point where he himself really wants to get clean. Meth is so, so addicting that just trying to get him to go to rehab isn't going to be enough if he is just doing it because he has to. I hope you and your family can get some support and advice on how to deal with this situation on your end.
  4. Saji

Saji Member

I'm sorry to hear about this, sillylab. But don't worry, there is hope! There are several professionals out there who can help your cousin. But do you know what is more important than professional help? It's love, hope & prayer. It's these 3 things that got me out of my video game addiction. My video game addiction was so bad, I spent 6-12 hours in front of my computer playing video games each day. For those of you who think that video game addiction is an easy addiction to overcome, you guys are wrong. It's one of the hardest addictions out there as video games are readily available and as it is legal. I hope that your cousin will recover, I will pray for your family.
  5. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

Meth addicts have a very low chance of getting clean, and an even lower chance of staying clean past five years. However, that does not mean it cannot be done, it means the addict needs to understand this and work harder to help himself. There is nothing you can do for someone who does not want help.

I work in a behavioral health facility, and you would not believe how many addicts come and go. They know each other from various facilities, and will bounce around the country to various rehabs. At first I thought it was about relapsing, then I realized that they want to stay institutionalized to stay clean. Addiction is a tough life. Usually, someone needs to hit rock bottom before wanting help. Hopefully you and your family will be there if it happens.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is a sad situation when a person is going through this and can be hard for the ones close to the person and, it can feel like as if there is nothing you can do and watch the person harm themselves. Getting support is important and, knowing there are others who are affected by the actions may change him later on and make him realize what he is doing is not right. It will take time, and effort to fight the addiction and help him overcome it someday and knowing there are ones who care about him, will help him change for the better will take some time and need the right support and work as a team.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Sorry about what your family is going through, it is such a difficult time when a family has to go through all that , because of drugs, I do hope at some point he will come to the point where he will realise that he does nee help, or he might end up going to jail for a while and there he will have no choice but to quit using meth.
  8. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

First, he should change the background, a new fresh start, somewhere else, where he can't go back on the same street with the same dealers. However, he is still somewhere deep in him, you just need to reach him, meth can mess really badly with your brain cells. Next time you find him sober, put him into a rehab then talk to him and explain him why do you think he needs a major change in his life.
  9. I want to first say that I am sorry to hear about your cousin's situation. I have seen this happen to so may families, and the number seems to keep growing. When people are addicted in this fashion it doesn't only effect them, it also greatly effects their families. There really isn't much that anyone can do if the person suffering from the addiction is not ready to tackle the problem. It seems that the most any family member can do is to organize an intervention and let the rest of the family express their concerns. I really hope that you and your cousin can find peace and resolve.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Doesn't sound like the rehab he is using works for him. Look maybe for other avenues. You can check some out and suggest them for him maybe. Your story about him makes me want to say you need a dog catcher because of his off the wall behavior.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I really sympathise and identify with the predicament facing your cousin. His situation mirrors that of my younger brother who got addicted to marijuana and has been to rehab countless times in the past including short stints in the penitentiary. The situation is not all hopeless. We have a trump card in matters spiritual.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I had a cousin who was doing meth and he ended up hooking up with another girl who was doing meth and now he has a bunch of kids. He has 2 kids with one mom, 1 kid with the meth girl, 2 kids with a Jesus freak girl friend and now another kid with a 2nd girl who is hooked on meth. That's 6 kids and 4 baby momma's. Also, he has custody of 3 of them. Drama!
  13. tackykardia

tackykardia Member

So sorry to hear that. I had a cousin that was doing that and some other drugs. And he ended up overdosing and died. His dad found him face down. It was really sad because he was so young and had a whole life ahead of him. He was having a lot of depression and anxiety and mental issues and hes taking painkillers for pain. I don't know half of what he was going through but I wish he could have gotten help for it before it took his life.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Your cousin is one of those people who don't learn their lesson unless they're made to "the hard way." That doesn't mean I advocate manhandling him but if relatives, particularly his direct family, will be firm with him rather than condone his actions (or let him do what he wants), he may have better progress at rehab centers. Do not tag him as a hopeless case yet. Try different methods until you find the one that works for him best.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know about that. It is hard to deal with people like that more if it is your relative. There will be always hope for those who will not give up on him. I hope that he will have that strong will to change and help himself.
  16. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. Times like this can be really tough. all you can do is hope for the best and do everything that might help.