An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth has a bad rap.

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Joethefirst, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Meth has always been projected in a negative light, especially in the movies. If you look at the way that cigarettes and alcohol as been shown, meth certainly has never received the lime light. Even cocaine has had a better run then meth has.
    Do you think that this has helped preventing an increase in consumption?
  2. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Meth has a bad rap because it's a horrible substance. Both its physical and psychological effects are far more destructive than almost any other drug. Those physical effects, especially, make it easier to construct the viral ad campaign that you're probably referencing, because the effects are more obvious.

So it's not gotten a bad rap, it's just easier to show its destructive nature than with other drugs.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I think meth has a bad rap for good reason. I don't think you can prevent anyone from using meth, honestly. No one goes into smoking meth without knowing the consequences. It will reel you in and destroy your life. It's no surprise that you don't see it much in movies.
    Winterybella and deanokat like this.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have seen in New Zealand, where I am from that the drug use has increased since students may see it at home or see that it is nice to take when they see a movie, and it can make them get addicted in some cases which can lead to them selling it to others. I think that meth can be addictive and also people can sell their soul for this and it can ruin lives in the process as well, I hope that people see the effects and it can make the mind think it is their friend and not realize what it can do. It can make changes in a person which is not good for the health and can make the person see things or cause them to do things, and also the person can blame the drug for what they do and don't realize how the drug works in the body.
    Node likes this.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, I do think this has restricted use of it to an extent in the certain countries. The UK government took it seriously before it had even hit the streets of Britain. I can also tell you from personal experience that meth can be very damaging and destructive in a very short amount of time, a lot faster than cocaine or heroin which is why it is so notorious.
  6. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Because most meth is manufactured in inexperienced 'chemists' homes or trailers, the recipe may vary, leading to the potential of some meth having even more harmful chemicals in it than others. Alcohol and cigarettes are mass-produced by billion-dollar companies, who maintain a certain quality of their products. Furthermore, there seems to be a negative sterotype of 'methhead' for meth users.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Meth is highly toxic...there is nothing good about it, so it is no wonder that it has a "bad rap" It destroys lives, and quickly turns people into addicts, so I think the fact that it has a bad rap is very justified. It is hard to think of a worse drug really.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Some movies/fiction exaggerate, I admit, but the worse reputation it has, the better, as it is well deserved. Getting hooked on it is second only to cocaine, in some categories it is even worse than coke. The side effects, addictive potential. It literally destroys your brain and can cause permanent damage to you and your life. I know for a fact a lot of people are scared by the image they have imprinted in their minds, so that certainly helps.
  9. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Oh my, why in the world should meth get "limelight"? What does this even mean? It is in the limelight for being incredibly addictive, toxic, and deadly. It has received a similar treatment in the media that crack got in the 80s. But the difference is they were trying to pass a lot of harsh drug laws when they put out a bunch of scary stories and ads about crack, with meth it's more about the danger of the drug than any political agenda.
  10. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I don't know what you mean by saying that meth has a bad rap. It ruins lives. It ruined my boyfriend's life and it ruined our relationship. In the end, it ruined my life too.
    Drandolph likes this.
  11. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

Meth is an ugly substance that has an extremely ugly effect. There is nothing glamorous about it. This thing like many other hard drugs sucks the life out of you one hit at a time. I'm glad it has a bad rap. They all should. Every drug should be shown in as ugly a light as possible.
  12. Iggy69

Iggy69 Member

I am not sure about any other opinion but my story runs like this. I started smoking about 8 years ago was a way to keep working 14-15 hours a day. I slept every night, ate and was always in a good mood. Not sure when or how but according to my wife of 23 years and my 20 year old daughter I changed attitude wise. They both left me, and have no interest on talking to me. Everything that was top on my list is now gone. Meth is not a good thing in any shape or form in my world may differ from person to person but I doubt it.
    Dwayneu likes this.
  13. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I am sad to hear that you lost them over meth. We almost never notice, but continuous use will change you and alienate people. The cognitive bias and skewed perspectives are just off the charts when high...
    Drandolph likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that meth is really a bad substance and should be known that way. True that its being a bad thing reputation can make a person less likely to try it compared to alcohol that is even commercialized or have promotions.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I just figured maybe the people get killed off before they get the chance to tell their tale. But I'm glad meth is getting a bad rap even if it is not as a big as alcohol. People need all the info they can get about drugs and I don't think a person would volunteerly want meth face.
  16. Meth is a horrible substance and it deserves a bad rap. It has ruined the lives of millions and there's nothing "pretty" about it. Everyone who gets addicted goes through hell, and an entirely different hell just to get over it if they ever do. Best example I can give you of meth being in the limelight is Breaking Bad, and even that's not very pretty.

I definitely think that this connotation has helped in lessening its victims. However, it might have veered users toward other substances in the mentality of 'at least it's not as bad as meth.'
  17. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Meth is among the most addictive substances and is horrible for you mentally and physically, that is why it is cast in a bad light.
  18. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I know people personally that have taken meth and it is pretty bad as everyone else has said. It's sad to see what happens to these people. Their skin is covered in scabs and often their teeth erode.
    Stay away from this stuff at all costs.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Meth is a horrible drug, I hope it never gets glamorized like other drugs in Western media.
    However this is not the case for certain types of meth world-wide.
    Mostly in pill form, different meths are popular in the middle east and in the far east.
    I hope that trend does not make it to North America.
    deanokat likes this.
  20. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

It has definitely been shown in a bad light, and definitely for a good reason. It is an extremely destructive drug with horrible consequences. I don't know if it has prevented consumption from its portrayal in popular media, but I think I can say that it has prevented a good number of potential users from starting using meth.
    deanokat likes this.