An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth: Movies vs. reality

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by nebula, Jul 8, 2015.

1. nebula

nebula Member

Do you think movies and television portray meth in an accurate light? Movies like Spun and shows like Breaking Bad make meth look extremely intense. Would you say this is a pretty good depiction of what it is like to be on meth yourself? I find that in general, movies exaggerate drug effects. I'm curious to know if it is the same in this case.
  2. MyLife

MyLife Member

I believe that, to some, the depiction of drug use in movies is very realistic. For others, not so much. Every journey is different. Everyone has their own story. I have seen movies that depict drug use that bring me back to long long ago. I have seen movies that seemed ridiculous but maid my friend feel like using. No two people and no two movies are alike. So I believe that the idea that movies in general are bad or good portrayals of "real" drug use tends to be a little biased. Those portrayals just weren't your story. Maybe your story has yet to be told.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Movies and TV shows have an ultimate goal; make money. So that anything produced by the entertainment industry is totally a reflex of the true facts, but a manipulation based on their interests.

Now, when it comes to meth, alcohol and other drugs, they tend to look for the most intense stories to grab the audience's attention. I don't doubt there is a drama element that might showcase those addiction cases in an affected or exaggerated way, but it's also true that many untold stories could be as dramatic as those you see on TV or the silver screen and others might be less intensive and happy ending, but most of the times these stories doesn't sell well, unless a director or producer has a specific project for these.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I never saw Spun before but I did watch Breaking Bad. Hollywood took Meth and made a back story of selling it. It did not show any addict and the effects it had on them. We just see the story line of a desperate man producing Meth just to provide for his family. There not a single episode dedicated to an addict.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

They tend to exaggerate a lot, especially in the sole case of meth. Though series like Breaking Bad, for example, depict meth just accurate, though with a bit of flaws. It's understandable, they want to gather as much audience as possible and we can't really blame them for the misinformation. I'd do the same if I had to promote a show. Though not make a habit off of it.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Sometimes in the movies we see people just taking meth as if they were just having a coffee or eating their meal and view it as normal, as where they are, people around them are taking the drug and don't see anything wrong with doing it. Some movies or shows like the Sopranos had characters like Tony and Chris taking meth and not having any issues most of the time and it seemed like a normal thing to do at times for the audience. I reckon that people need to see the issues that can happen in the real world as in the movie one most of the time the character does not suffer or if they do they fix things up easier than in the real one.
  7. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

Breaking Bad is definitely one of my greatest tv shows ever. Not because of the meth! Anyway, to some extent, I don't think they exaggerate it. The effects of meth varies on different people. I know for a fact, someone who gets really crazy after taking meth. You know, like mentally crazy!!!
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Movies are movies and people should acknowledge this. People kill their peers in movies, do drugs and other crazy things. Hell, some of them even fly or blast laser through their eyes. This being said, movies are not to be taken seriously, no matter how convincing they would seem.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think that Breaking Bad does an accurate job of showing how meth can ruin everything. By the last season, with Walt's life literally spiraling out of control, he realizes that he should not have gotten involved with this in the first place. I think Vince Gilligan(creator) tried his best to make people not want to be involved with the meth trade. I love that show, though, so my opinion is obviously biased.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm gonna have to agree with that first sentence. That show messed me up in all of the right ways.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I was a major fan of Breaking Bad. I know little about meth but I think parts of the series were probably pretty accurate, and other parts of it were simply unrealistic. Not so much the addiction part but the actions of the main character Walter White and Jesse. I mean how many times do you almost have to die before you decide what you are doing is not a good idea....?
  12. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

Walter White did not care much because he had cancer and he knew he could die anytime. He even told another cancer patient after the chemotherapy how he is not afraid to die. That is where his conflict with Jesse arose.Walter White only decided it was not a good idea after he realized how much damage he had caused his family.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There's always a bit of sensationalism with movies and these kinds of television shows. However, I do believe that crystal meth and crack cocaine can indeed lead to the intensity depicted in these shows. As a former speed/meth addict, I can tell you that it didn't seem that intense at first at all. However, as time went on the intensity progressed to painfully high levels - it became incredibly intense, more than you could ever imagine without experiencing it yourself. The worst thing is that you don't even realize it until it's too late. It really is insidious and creeps up on you and then one day a skeleton's hand comes out of your closet, grabs you by the neck and suddenly pulls you into darkness away from all reality, normality and sanity.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

When it comes towards movies depicting drug usage of any kind, it can be a a hit or miss. The point of most movies is to entertain so they may exaggerate at times. Now I can see if you were talking about documentaries which might be less likely to exaggerate and be more realistic.
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

In Breaking Bad, we see Jesse Pinkman use meth in most of the episodes but he still had good teeth. It would have been more realistic if we see him slowly deteriorate. Like, his physique should worsen, his teeth have severe tooth decay. We all know what happens to a person’s looks when they abuse meth. But Jesse Pinkman remained “cute” throughout the series.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think some of those movies and shows that were based to true stories were near to reality. While there could be some that were bit or much exaggerated to make it more dramatic or comedic.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Movies and shows tend to exaggerate things to be more attractive, like in the first season when Walter smoked pot... he truly lost himself in a funny way...