An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth & Pregnancy.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by NoRain89, Aug 12, 2018.

1. NoRain89

NoRain89 Member

Hello,
    I found out last week I was pregnant. This puts me at 11 weeks. I quit anything & everything cold turkey, including caffeine. However, before I knew, i was smoking meth nearly every day. I havent touched it since & I know there's not one chance I will. BUT im absolutely terrified for what could already be wrong with my baby. I dont want an innocent life to pay for my coping mechanism. Ive been reading forums & articles that are increasing my panic. Can anyone who's been in a similar situation please tell me if your child was affected by your use during pregnancy? Please, no lectures...I will never relapse as my baby has erased any chance of that. I only had one friend in that life who I have chosen to separate myself from. Nobody ever knew I was using because I did it for the energy & dopamine for depression, not to party. I kept my job, hygiene, & etc...which is good until this situation where I have nobody to talk to. Any information about usage during pregnancy would be so appreciated. Again, it was meth. Smoked only. Almost daily for first 11 weeks of pregnancy. I am feeling absolutely terrified & completely ashamed & full of guilt. I wont abort, regardless, but I do need to be prepared for any damage I could have caused my baby. I feel I will get more honest answers from people like myself who've lived or understand the struggles of addiction rather than reading government reports & info.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  2. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Hi
    I wasn't addicted to meth but I was using oxys n herion also cocaine when I found out I was pregnant. I was drinking too. Anyway I was a reck cuz I was almost 4 mo. pregnant when they told me. I quit everything. Anyway was I was honest with the Dr he told me if I was wasn't doing it anymore that I should be ok. I also was given a test for spina bifida that's to see if the child didn't have downs or other problems. I had a healthy baby boy. He's 14 and is almost 5'8. Just get yourself healthy and stay clean and positive. Congrations and listen to ur doc
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@NoRain89 congrats on your pregnancy and i am glad to hear you stopped everything.... and that you have no plans of using again...

i am not able to chime in on if something could be wrong... have no idea, but i'm sure there have been plenty of women who have had babies that were alright after using in their first trimester. i know a woman who smoked crack for the first couple of months of her pregnancy before quitting... and her son is now 12 and doing just fine.... so... things can be alright.

pray...and believe that your baby will arrive healthy and happy. sing to your baby, talk to your baby, etc. as i'm sure these kinds of things can make an impact... ok, well this is my opinion :)
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@NoRain89... I'm proud of you for quitting for the safety of your baby. I suggest doing what @Jai50 said she did: Be honest with your doctor and see what he/she has to say. I think a medical professional is the only one who can accurately answer your question.

Congratulations on your impending motherhood!
    Lostboy8731 and Dominica like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

This sound's crazy but I know from social services because I have a sister who is adopted,anyways they told my family that meth was the safest for a unborn baby because it doesn't slow down the growth functions like marijuana and heroin,but anyways the birth mom of my little sister used the entire pregnancy and my little sister is now 7 and has no physical or mental side effect's, she is actually in advanced classes at school already and she is only in second grade so I think you caught this in time to have a healthy child but of course I advise checking with your Dr and having some test ran like @Jai50 mentioned above.Stay Strong and God Bless
    Lostboy8731, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  6. deanokat

@NoRain89... How are you doing, my dear? Just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and sending you positive, clean & sober vibes. And keeping good thoughts for you and your baby. Check in with us if you get a chance.
  7. RecoveringLife1

RecoveringLife1 Senior Contributor

Congratulations on being sober for your baby!!! I don't know much about the affects of doing drugs while pregnant, but as long as you found out sooner rather than later, the baby should be fine. The only thing I'm concerned about is the child may have ADD or mood swings at a certain age. Just keep a look out for that and take the required steps to get them help. I have a co worker who is due very soon and has never done any drugs, but goes to regular doctor appointments once a week. I recommend you do the same just to be on the safe side and take the necessary vitamins.
  8. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

Many prayers and best wishes for you and your baby, a while back the love of my life and i lost our little one at birth. We were both users for part of her pregnancy not knowing at first. We did stop after finding out. Wasn't easy but we did it at the time. Unfortunately for us we didnt quit soon enough as i truly believe with what was happenkmg in the womb was or fault because of our substance abuse at the time. I will pray for you and your baby that you never have to experiance that pain dear. Take care and good job on quiting . Proud of you
    Dominica, deanokat and True concern like this.
  9. Lostboy8731

I would also like to add as well beg of you to please please please go to your doctor weekly for check ups. Better to go to much then not enough love. Not a day goes by that i wonder if we were going more if we would have cought it and been able to do something but alast we didnt and couldnt and i dont want you to go through that. Always praying for you both
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  10. True concern

@Lostboy8731 you are carrying a pain so heavy,deep,and it has you blaming yourself and I understand that but as a man of faith in the Lord let me tell you something and it may hurt or upset you but it is not meant to,I hope this comes out proper and allows you to forgive yourself a little bit.I have a 7 year old sister who my parent's adopted at 8 day's old,when her birth mom was pregnant she was prostituting through the entire pregnancy and abusing around a gram of meth a day for the entire time,my uncle thought he was the father but he is not,however my sister is a very healthy young child and she is super smart with no permanent damage,now you would never know she was in the womb for 8.5 month's while her birth mom abused endless amounts of meth all the way until she was born and as a man who believes in God I truly believe he work's in mysterious ways. I obviously don't know why certain thing's happen or why some children he takes at birth but me personally I believe some souls are so important to him that he takes them immediately because they are a big part of his plan and he needs them and gives them eternal happiness immediately. I believe your little angel was that important in his plan and I believe with all my heart your little girl will one day meet you at the gates of heaven.Stay Strong my friend and you are not alone,myself and other's here on this site will be here with you,for you to lean on in anyway you need and we will do our best to help you in anyway we can.God bless you
    Dominica, deanokat and Lostboy8731 like this.
  11. deanokat

I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby, @Lostboy8731. I can't imagine how much pain that caused you and your partner.
  12. Lostboy8731

It was tough on both of us most defenitely. But my love passed away from an overdose as i mentioned in my story a few years back so i try and believe she and my daughter are together again
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Dominica, True concern and deanokat like this.
  13. deanokat

That's a beautiful thought.
    True concern and Lostboy8731 like this.
  14. Lostboy8731

Just checking in, hope your doing well still.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  15. Hey I saw this thread and had to respond. I lost my wife due to a brain disease early in our marriage. This after a very traumatic VERY LATE misscarriage. (Most likely more accurately termed a still birth). I used to be on here all the time under another username. I am a recovering heroin addict. And also recovering benzo addict. I should mention that my wife is still living but in a mental hospital in Alaska and I am in Georgia. She just has no memory of anything. Even her own name. This was very rough for me and I lost a lot of years with my now almost 9 year old son (by someone else).
    However today I was sitting at the top bleacher overlooking the soccer fields and realized that I don't have worries like I used to. I no longer have nightmares about running out of dope or liquor. I have had dreams that I relapsed. I'm 7 almost eight months clean. When I joined this site under the other username (forgot what it was) I was not in my own home, sick over a bucket, had no income, active warrant for my arrest ( taken care of) and never would have thought that time could heal so much. I tried to everdose. That wasn't part of God's plan. And I'm thankful everyday. I just thought I would share this.
  16. True concern

I've missed you brother and congrats on that almost 8 month mark,super proud of you. You know I stumbled but I'm even now more humbled I'm chasing a month
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  17. You're going to get that month too. Stumbled? That's past tense. That's all that that matters now. Proud of you too.
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  18. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Joshstillclean so good to hear from you! congrats on 8 months clean, and for getting past so many hurdles along your path. i'm glad you're doing better.... truly happy for you!!!
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.
  19. Thank you. I really do appreciate that. I had to take a break from this website a few months ago because I came to a place in my recovery that I do not understand, cannot describe, and honestly fearful that it may happen again. The best way I can put it is that I became shaky in my sobriety. And even though I needed a support system desperately I also didn't want to hear about using or even anything to do with drugs during this period. Fortunately I have gotten a few phone numbers from very good people I have met through this site. And I used them too. I am not going to disclose any personal information but one person answered her phone at about one in the morning my time when I was really struggling with a sack and needle I found I had forgotten about.
    I didn't use. I did stare at that bag for about 4 hours before I called. I am not sure if I wanted to use or if I wanted to not want to use-cant even understand it myself.
    But this person called me back that very next morning and checked up on me. You know who you are and what you said to me I will be forever grateful for. I'm still in touch with a few people I've met.
    What I am getting at I guess is how crucial a support system is. I was absent from this site but not absent from support. Today I feel like I have really made progress and I am comfortable with sharing publicly again.
    I'm happy @Dominica that you are glad to hear from me. But im grateful for everyone who has heard me and helped me. It's really hard now to wrap my head around how death was knocking at my door when I was first on here. Not even a year ago!
    Today is my mom's b-day and I am alive to enjoy it with her.
    Without support it's simply a fact that I would not be alive to type this.
    So thank you everyone.
  20. deanokat

Welcome back, @Joshstillclean. I'm so happy to hear that you're almost 8 months clean. That's fabulous! BTW, I totally get your having to take a break from this site when you were shaky in your sobriety. Sometimes just reading stuff about drug use can be a huge trigger. I'm proud of you for recognizing that fact and knowing that you had to go on hiatus for a bit.

I'm also glad that you were able to get help when you needed it most from someone on this site. That person is an angel.

Happy belated birthday to your mom. I hope she had a great day. :)
    True concern likes this.