An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Meth vs Other drugs

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by MrAmazingMan1, Aug 24, 2015.

1. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Would Meth be considered one of the more dangerous drugs out there? and what effects does it have on your brain?
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is a danger to the body and the brain as well as the person can believe they are not in trouble or have an addiction problem, and that meth has been just a friend to them and not willing to give it up for anyone. I think that the effects can be different to each person and also it can cause a person to make choices which are not good or see things which don't exist and think they are from a different universe or equal to god at times. I reckon that the body does not adjust well at times and also can take time, to get through the mood swings that the person has and also can be dangerous to use.
    innafazenfl727 likes this.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Meth, like most drugs are dangerous. Putting them in ranking system is impossible but if you look at it from afar you can see how easily it becomes the drug of choice making it very dangerous. It's relatively cheap, and it's effects can last for days. During those days you won't be sleeping. You will be walking around in a heightened state of euphoria. Where else can you get that kind of high for the buck? One hit and you'll be high as a kite for a very long time.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, meth(amphetamine) is very much one of the most dangerous drugs out there. Crystal meth, however, is a lot worse and is known to be worse than heroin and crack cocaine and is also more addictive than crack. Meth has severe consequences on both the body and the brain. It causes rapid weight loss, heart (and other major organ) problems and can cause hallucinations, delusions, depression, anxiety, paranoia and psychosis to say the least. It can keep a person awake for weeks, after which they could suffer a potentially fatal physical crash. It's also neurotoxic, so it causes permanent brain damage.
  5. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I’ve never met anyone who uses meth and so I don’t anything about it. All I can add here is that no matter what drug it is, they are all very dangerous. They poison your body and your brain and every time you consume you’re taking years away of your life.

I honestly don’t know what meth or crystal meth is, but any drug that is cheap and super addictive (like crack) is a death spiral. Very hard to quit, although not impossible.
  6. Sparkster

Crystal meth really isn't all that different from crack. It's basically a smokeable form of speed. So, basically, crystal meth is to speed as crack is to cocaine - it's the same drug but made smokeable.
  7. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I have both done crystal meth and am in an eroding relationship with someone who is still using it. Outside of the first few times, I have not gotten a great deal of effect from it and wonder what the appeal is at all. My partner on the other hand seems to think quite highly of the substance and as a result has acted very strangely at times. I don't know if its the meth or a combination of things that he is not telling me about but he will sometimes go into paranoid delusions and think all sorts of weird things are going to happen. He is also always itching and or thinking that he has bugs on him and it is very annoying. Why anyone would want to do a drug that is making them grind their teeth, think that they have bugs on them, and appears to be triggering seizures is beyond me. I see others have posted that it damages the brain. I'd have to say I agree with this with what I've seen in my partner. He complains of memory loss and of starting to drop objects he is holding. He also has that annoying habit of picking at sores claiming the meth comes out of your skin and causes sores. I can believe that your sweat gets more toxic and causes you to sweat out the impurities but I don't believe this stuff about crystal forming shards in your body and the shards piercing through your skin and then exiting your body. These scabs and scars are caused by picking and poor hygiene. Of course they are going to infect.
    I would have to say, any drug delivering such poor results and still getting you to buy it instead of food must be pretty darn dangerous.
    SHARONA likes this.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't know why anyone would choose to use meth. I guess it must be incredibly addictive, as it creates such havoc within the body, and totally ruins skin, hair, teeth etc. Why would anyone put themselves through that torture? I have no idea, other than the fact that it must be as addictive as Hell. I thin meth is one of the most dangerous substances out there.
  9. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I haven't done meth and never will since I've heard all the horrific effects it causes people.
    @Jaylean: wow, quite a story. so in spite of smoking meth you didn't become addicted to it? how come? or you do other stuff? and why you stay with him then?
  10. Sparkster

For me, I found the high from meth to be much more intense and pleasurable than the high from all other substances including cocaine, ecstasy and crack. Much more powerful, much more intense and incredibly addictive. It's crazy how certain substances affect different people differently. Meth was the one substance which really messed me up.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, it is considered as one of the most dangerous drugs. It is mainly made of harmful chemicals and can be bought in a very small amount and still get addicted to it as being reported in the news.
  12. aztec99

aztec99 Member

Meth is probably the worst drug you could take. First of all, you have no idea how it was cooked. Even if the guy knows what he's doing, it's a very dangerous substance. But when you consider someone who might be adding the wrong chemicals, or perhaps too much of the right chemicals, you're flirting with disaster! Meth can damage blood vessels in the brain which can lead to a stroke. Brain damage is common among chronic Meth users. Many experience memory loss, as well as trouble with abstract ideas. The best thing to do about Meth is to not do it at all!
  13. Honest Abe

Honest Abe Member

My only experience with Meth would be from the Breaking Bad series. Why would somebody go at this drug knowing the devastating consequences? Are the feelings worth it? I don't think so. I'm not judging anybody who has walked this road. I praise them for stopping or seeking the right way to stop. Still, this seems bad to me. Worse than other drugs. Like mind-altering.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

My answer to your question is a resounding yes. I know some people who have used it and are still using it. And the changes to their bodies are drastic. And even if a meth addict stops using the drug, there are long term side effects. One of my older brothers used to be addicted to it. Thank goodness that he has already kicked it out of his system. But he's never the same. He’s become a bit paranoid, although not on a dangerous level. It breaks my heart to see him like that now because the person I knew is no more. But I’m still thankful because he is still with us and he’s sober. That’s the most important thing.
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's the second time that I heard a person saying that they tried meth and didn’t like it, and that it has almost no effect (on him/her). The first one was my dad. He also wondered why a lot of people are addicted to it when it doesn’t even give a good “trip.” That was his opinion on meth. He said that he’ll just stick to alcohol.
  16. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It definitely is one of the most dangerous drugs. I never tried it myself, but from what I have seen and read, meth can really harm you in many possible ways.
  17. Sparkster

Considering that meth users report believing that bugs are under their skin and suchlike, it wouldn't surprise e if that myth about shards of glass developing inside people probably comes from the delusions of meth users themselves. It can cause you to think all sorts of things and once you settle on a possible idea you end up believing it.
  18. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsy Member

I hate meth worse than any other drug. One of the things I hate about it is the ingredients can be cheaply and easily obtained. Where I used to live it was not unheard of to be driving down the street and seeing a whole meth lab at the side of the road. There was a meth lab inside a Walmart bathroom. My ex and his friends used to cook it. Of course they were usually high already when they were doing this. Knowing what goes in it, these are things I don't see why anyone would introduce into their bodies. Not that I would encourage anyone to get addicted to alcohol or prescription drugs, but at least those are made by corporations under government oversight and not by some dude down the street (or in a Walmart bathroom).
  19. I first handedly agree the effects very dramatically in each! So far I'm lucky... Very horrible drug! I'm loseing my interest faster then its taking me!
  20. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I have been hearing so much about Meth, how dangerous it can be even when compared to other hard drugs like heroin and cocaine. However, I not well informed about this drug and I would like to know why it's feared so much. Could someone please enlighten me a bit on the properties of this substance