An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Methadone Abuse 101

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Jen S., Oct 4, 2014.

1. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

I have a dear friend who was a heavy heroin addict and has been clean (and on Methadone) for 2 years. She is wanting to come off the methadone, too. She is active in a 12 step program and wants her mind to be completely clean. I know nothing about methadone. She is looking at going in to a treatment center--the same one that she got off heroin at--to get completely off methadone. I would love to hear experience about it. @AleFirmani , do you still take methadone? I want to be as supportive of my friend as possible, and know that it is not going to be easy.
  2. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I am a rare case where I got addicted to methadone without ever having been a heroin addict. Knowing as I do now, the horrible time I had trying to stay off of it after I was finally detoxed from it the first time, I am shocked that it is now being given as a pain medication to people with chronic pain problems. When a doctor finally put me on the program legally, he explained to me how it was invented, He also told me that though it was invented by the German's to replace their dwindling heroin supplies, it wasn't as effective as morphine for pain although it had other interesting side effects allowing soldiers to trek longer and for prisoners of war to be able to withstand torture without dying from shock. While it does dull pain, it does not effectively block it and I can't understand why so many doctors are prescribing it to people for serious pain, First they deny people pain medication for fear they will develop dependencies on narcotics, and then they do this instead. Methadone is so hard to get off of. Had I known that I would be struggling with a life long problem, I think that I would have tried harder to stay off of it once I detoxed. Why on earth are doctors saddling people with no addictions to drugs, to a drug that is extremely addictive. And psychologically addictive?? Oh and how. Any time I start to think about lowering my dose, or my doctor brings it up, all my defense mechanisms go off at once and my old addict is right there telling me don't you dare let them lower it. More, more, my addict cries. If you aren't on it and you can find another way, do it.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This is really interesting to me because I have always wondered about methadone use. I never had to use it because I simply quit on my own, but I have always wondered about people that moved onto methadone to overcome their addiction. We made a methadone clinic near my house and everyone there always seems like they're nodding out, so the stuff scared the living heck out of me. Thank you for this useful bit of information.
  4. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is interesting, isn't it, that Methadone serves along the same lines as Buprenorphine to wean someone off another opiate. The ball is in the court of pharmacists and researchers to develop another non addictive drug to wean addicts off Methadone. By the way, 5000 fatalities have been mentioned as being caused by alcohol /Methadone admixture annually. Which area is defined by this figure? I bet it is not worldwide. I wish potential addicts would know the abyss they are getting themselves into.
  5. pierrerodman

pierrerodman Member

I used to be addicted to heroin and methadone. I had gone through all the treatments such as Suboxone. None of it ever worked for me and I always found myself either addicted to the Suboxone and then just falling back on my opiates again.

I stumbled across a life saving treatment called Naltrexone. It removed the cravings and also if I did relapse, the effect was cancelled by the medication. No matter if I used, I could not get high. This made using opiates pointless and I have been clean for a number of years now.

I do not know about its FDA status in the United States, but I guess it is worth a Google.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Tedsch

Tedsch Member

I agree with a previous poster that this discussion is probably going to do more harm than good to people considering methadone and are nervous.
    I am currently on methadone and am a really unlikely candidate (at least where I live). I am not homeless. I have not taken iv drugs in my life. I've had years of education to the top of my field and lectured and published professionally.
    However I do have addiction problems stemming from years of abuse by others and personal tragedy growing up.
    I never wanted to go on methadone but what I was taking was killing me, literally. I was getting sicker and sicker and physically was dying. My doctor referred me to a methadone clinic and I am on a small dose relative to what most would be used to. Dont get me wrong it's not plain sailing at all now but I am on a safe drug prescribed for my use which is safe on my body and mind. I work in a high pressure job and nobody would know the difference between me and an average employee.

It is definitely correct to say it's the people not the drug that give it a bad name. You should be on a correct dose which means you need to be 100% honest with your doctor and they with you. It's about trust. Clients coming in to keep getting more are addicts that have severe problems. They need help absolutely. However many are homeless have no money no family no career and no hope. It's so tough to see.

My advise if your thinking about methadone is absolutely talk to your doctor and tell them what you take and when. I made the mistake of being embarrassed and said I take say 15 when I actually was on 25 a day. Just be straight up and tell them. It's used as a safe treatment for people like you. There's no shame anymore. If you broke your leg in 4 places you wouldn't go to hospital and point to one break cos your embarrassed. So point out all your flaws and not more not less.

I hope this helps someone. I know I needed some. Sorry for ranting :)
  7. dunnramiro

dunnramiro Member

If you or someone you love is an addict or alcohol user, you need to look for an addiction treatment program which is highly specialized and focuses on what type of treatment is right for your individual needs. Treatment can be a lifelong process, and the sooner you start, the sooner you can get the life you have always wanted.