An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Methadone side effects

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Robertd90, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

hello I have been on methadone almost a month now. I am at 120 mg. I just have some questions to see if what I feel is “normal”. Well first of all I dose in the morning and by 3-5 I start getting bad cravings again. By morning I find myself feeling somewhat dope sick. I also have spurts of insane energy when I’m moving around doing what I have to, but as soon as I sit down I’ll find myself starting to nod off and feeling extremely relaxed and tired but obv. Don’t fall asleep just feel opioid high. Along with some itching. The sweats are worse than anything I’ve had before constipation too. One more thing for the most part I have absolutely no desire to eat any type of food. I’ll eat sweets sometimes other than that I don’t feel hungry and I have read it’s usally the opposite. So if anyone has feedback of any kind please share with me as I’m trying to get stable and feel right
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam Zapping Super Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Hi welcome glad your here I dont have much experience with methadone but someone on here does. I'm sure @DoxyMom will be on here soon to talk to you about it.
    Joshstillclean and Robertd90 like this.
  3. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Cool. Sounds good, because I have no information. I do know so far in the time it works it is doing wonders keeping away from pills and heroine. It is changing my life and I’m thankful but more info would be good too lol
  4. Onceaddicted77

I was suboxone for many many years after a oxy habit so I know where your coming from just wish I knew more about methadone. Also @Joshstillclean has some info on it. Hopefully he will be on soon as well for ya. Hang in there. I'm glad you chose to get MAT and sending you postive energy my friend.
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  5. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Yes I was on suboxone for 8 months my experience with it is after awhile it makes me crave drugs. I did bad towards the end but I should of stopped once I started craving. If it turns out to be that way with methadone I will know to stop once I start feeeling that way. So far it’s amazing how I can go thru almost a whole day without any thoughts of using drugs like I’ll be enjoying my day and almost forget for a min I’m addicted to drugs. It’s a great feeling no other MAT treatment made me feel this way
  6. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

7. Joshstillclean

To each his own. If methadone is working for you keep at it.
    I used it for almost 2 years. It was a lifesaver. Toward the end I started feeling like you though.
    But it could,also be your on too high of a dose if your nodding off.
    I also had insane energy from methadone.
    To me methadone and almost all MAT I've tried had made me feel like Im,an dilaudid. Or a very high dose of morphine-which has always felt week to me.
    Sounds like you are deff not at your "sweet spot" though.
    Have you told your doctor or counselor any of this?
    BTW I have to make myself eat on all the opiods-even subs and methadone.
    Especially suboxone. Anybody who tells you you can't get high off of subs just doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Not that you should...my point is there is a sweet spot with Buprenorphine as well. And yeah you will have major cravings or get super dope sick if you don't do that one right either.
    Or maybe can you dose later towards lunch before they close so you get through the day better.
    Methadone- well, that's pretty much all I can offer.
  8. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Yes today I did a form to change my dose. Ite weird I’ve been at 110 for a week now and it seems the past couple days it has been hitting me harder as far as nodding off goes. For the record I also take 2 mg of kalopin a day for anxiety so I’m sure that is part of my nodding my muscle spasms are bad too as soon as I start to nod out
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  9. Joshstillclean

I'm sorry, I thought you were at 120mg? Just trying to make sure I am following so I can help the best. Are you at 110 or 120 currently and what are you going to?
  10. Joshstillclean

When I was abusing opiods oh would get whole body muscle spams when I would nod. Like just one spasm but all at once all over my body like in was jolted. Then be completely relaxed.
    That sounds to me like your still at too high of a dose.
    But i could be wrong. And klonopin, in my opinion, is not a very good muscle relaxer. More for anxiety, seizures.
  11. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Yes my bad I just put in to be 120 so tomorrow it will take effect. In my clinic you have to stay at a dose for a week to increase. My only issue is it not taking me thru day I want to know if I can do split dose I think that would help so much and I could most likely get s lower dose. Yes the kalopin is for anxiety and I get major panic attacks.
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  12. Joshstillclean

I've always thought split dose would be the best thing ever for a methadone clinic. Mine here won't do that. But you can get a doctor to prescribe methadone if you have a methadone card-here you can anyway-real easy. And split the doses however you want to.
    Problem there urself control. But you quickly learn getting high for a few days is not worth weeks every month of dopesickness.
    Learn that real fast-so its less of an issue than most people think. Like subs-you will never find anyone who actually uses their subs selling not one.
    We (I am on a low dose) gotta have it.
    Those people that get a handful and sell em- they get found out real quick.
    BTW if you are nodding on 11p be very careful at the end of the day on 120.
    Those nods will hit hard bro.
    cheffy likes this.
  13. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Yes I was on suboxone for the month before I started methadone I ran out of subs didn’t have them for 3 days and decided to switch to methadone. Because this time only after a month of being on subs I wanted to get high my first day I got the max dose of methadone 40 mg and I barely got any high cuz the subs were still lingering. So I kind of went up and up. I’m not going to lie on top of my kalopin I had another doctor prescribe me 2 mg Ativan as well. My family didn’t know I was also buy 20 bars at a time from people at the clinic so I started not right but I stopped all that and decided I want to do things right so it’s been 2 weeks since I stopped abusing the benzos. Today I have no energy I’m tired af just wanna sit around. I’m even hungry today it’s like the methadone isn’t working today lol
    cheffy and Joshstillclean like this.
  14. Joshstillclean

Ok this turns everything around. Wish you had just come out and said it.
    I've been struggling with benzodiazepines more than any drug ever. I'm 19 months clean. Used them for 16 years.

Xanax, k-pins, Valium, lorazapam, temazapam, all of em- I did em.
    Benzo.'s have some of the weirdest withdrawal symptoms. And you are describing them now.
    They also are the longest lasting withdrawals of all the classes of drugs.
    You should start to notice a big difference in about a month. Until then everyday may feel different. Never know with benzo use/abuse. Really it is so bizzar, when you have a symptom you can't explain-remember...that's what josh told me it would feel like. Just weird. And try not to worry.
    Also methadone and Xanax can be lethal FYI.
  15. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

One thing I found out when I went through my last detox is that methadone has such a long half-life that you don't really need to dose it multiple times per day (though it won't hurt anything if you do) because the blood level drops so slowly - measurable over days rather than hours - so your concentration in the evening has hardly changed from that of the morning.
  16. Onceaddicted77

Yea that's why i don't recommend methadone it has a duration of action of only 4 to 8 hours but the half life can go on for days.
  17. Onceaddicted77

Suboxone duration of action is 24 hours with a half life of 37 hours
  18. Joshstillclean

Sooooo true. Like why am I still pissing hot! I'm freaking dopesick! Half life and duration of action differ more in methadone than any other opiods I can think of except for maybe morphine. Morphine duration is so freaking short that when I was having hand surgery I got hit three different times because it was wearing off. This was a 3 hour surgery. Rediculous! I once took a 60 mg xr morphine and was used to 30 mg oxycontin or 2 15 mg roxycontin and I went back to the guy pissed because I thought he ripped me off. I didn't feel anything! I feel hydrocodone more then,morphine. And Im dope sick at the end of the day from methadone as well. Its not just me lots of folks complain about this.
    Heck, I'm on subutex and I wake up with the sniffles every morning. Ready for it. By that night if I haven't taken any I'm in trouble. But to each his own. Its crazy to me how you can be puking but they say well you still gotta wait because your hot for methadone.

If I was in control of the meds these patients would be a lot happier. Alas many who work in these places have no personal experience. I think it should be a requirement.

Sorry-im passionate about this.
  19. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I kind of wondered about that methadone half-life. Seems like it would be very easy to OD on since you have to keep taking it for it to work, while previous doses are still in your blood. Seems a bit scary...
  20. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I was on methadone and everyone says it has a long half life...No bullshit 2-3 hours max and I was dopesick again,I just don't get it