An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Methadone side effects

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Robertd90, Aug 28, 2019.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

First off "HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH OR YOU WON'T SEE WHERE YOUR GOING"Secondly do what's necessary to get rid of that self pity bullshit.I am not judging, I myself went through the self-pity phase you can read all of my post if you choose to it took me two-and-a-half years to get them all up but I also had a self-pity problem and I had to get over it before I can make any progress do what you have to do release your rage wherever you must release it but you have to let go of it you have to be able to look yourself in the mirror and stand your own reflection this is not easy for an addict but for one that's truly trying they can see the scars slowly fade the hair slowly fall back into place the smile slowly reappear it's within you you have to fight for it not with your mind but with your heart you have to Crave it like the most beautiful island you could ever imagine you can do this my friend I believe in you won't you believe in yourself? I have been on this site ready to die I have been on the site so high I don't remember what I've typed I have been on this site crying my eyes out like a little girl I have begged and pleaded with God to just help me and through it all you can find every last bit of it right here but I'm sober finally I died once I was brought back to life I nearly died a second time but I was spared for whatever reason you haven't been to rehab that many times and come out alive out of luck there is more to you then you realize you just have to dig deep and find it

Stay strong and God bless you
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Moderator Community Listener

Beautiful words my friend.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  3. True concern

Thank you check inbox
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  4. True concern

This is to help you @Robertd90 So come back to the convo
  5. True concern

Help me out I can like all day but that don't save lives, NO OFFENSE MEANT
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  6. True concern

@Robertd90 I wish you would come back to the conversation see you at this point the site has given up on admins and moderators we are nothing left but addicts trying to help addicts We Care we've been there we've conquered we've struggled we fall in we've begged and we've crawled back to our feet once again we can help you but you got to want to help yourself we can't do the work for you and you have to be able to accept criticism it's not to make you feel like less of a person it's to make you see that you are greater than what you see yourself as now only then can you truly start to achieve and uncover the will the power the strength to overcome this addiction that has you wrapped up by the balls you can do this my friend engage in conversation with us we've been there we Fallen we've gotten back up we fall in again and we finally made it please come back talk to us
  7. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

True that. All of it.
    The fact,that you can even think of klonopin as your benzo of choice lets me know that you do still have an addicts mindset.
    Yep, that's another symptom of addiction-denial. Don't let yourself get caught up in that one. You sound like you have had a rough time of it. But you talk about homelessness as if it were just ok. And man I promise you you don't know how bad homeless is if you have just accepted it as your lot in life. Ha!
    Man, you have had bad experiences. In sure meth took over your soul. So is higher doses of methadone.
    Methadone is the first fix of the day. You might not take that to heart or criticise me in some way but remember i said that. I hope you take it to heart. Its true.
    If you don't see it now or next year ten years from now even-one day you will.
    Methadone holds you back in everyway possible. All full agonists do.
    DoxyMom said once that methadone was just like suboxone in that it filled up your receptors so that you could not feel heroin or whatever the drug of choice was. She really hates anyone speaki,g out against methadone.
    Methadone has its place too. It really did save my life once. Then held me back for 2 years.
    I digress...anyway, eventually you will feel like crap coming off of methadone.
    Everyone who has to stop methadone with nothing but methadone-hates it.

Well, anyway if you had a benzo you hated the most, then I would take your sobriety seriously. You have a favorite benzo. You haven't learned to hate them all yet. And that will come. You will hate all drugs before you are free from all drugs. And you have family still. You have not lost it all. Please don't be that guy that has to loose it all to realize he had blinders on to the fact that he was still trying to control his daily high.
    Welp, with that klonopin and the methadone clinic-you can. But it will hold you back from your true potential. If you want to help people here's some advice
    NEVER HAVE A FAVORITE DRUG-DRUG OF CHOICE!
    Not in present day terms anyway, we all had ours when we were junkies, but the guys I know now don't think like that. And they are recovered.
  8. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Robertd90 hello. Sorry I'm late to the post. I've been clean for 5 months on methadone. I'm on 80mg. Everyone's correct dose is different. Also many things can make the methadone metabolize quickly. If you have a physical job in the heat or use cocaine or amphetamines. I know they won't give people on Benzos as many take homes. This won't affect you but being pregnant can metabolize it faster too. I know there are times and this has lessened, when I thought I was feeling withdrawal but I got busy and it went away. That is mental. You are used to using when you woke up or got home from work or right before bed and your body knows that. Hence the mental withdrawal. Next time think about it and see if you are really sick. Keep going to your counseling. Once you are on your stable dose for six months then see if you can taper down.
    I sweat all the time and am doubly blessed with menopause. Just one of the side effects along with constipation. For some reason, I'm regular for the first time in my life. I take Senocot and drink a large glass of plum juice before bed. It cleans you right out. If it lasts too long, you may have to resort to an enema. Sorry but this can be dangerous if you let it go too long.
    Many people gain weight. In the beginning I wasn't hungry and now I have a crazy sweet tooth. Many of us do. Keep talking to your counselor and dosing nurse. I just picked up my take homes for the weekend. I love Friday! If you want to get and stay clean you will. Ask me anything. I'm here to help.
  9. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Sorry guys been busy prepping for the hurricane. Today I feel way too high the clinic gave me enough to dose till wed. I took extra of course and I hate the feeling
  10. DoxyMom

I only get two bottles for Saturday and Sunday. I dose on Friday at the clinic and the thought has crossed my mind to take a bottle when I got home, skip Saturday and dose Sunday. But that is addicted thinking and I stop myself. The hurricane is supposed to make landfall on Tuesday or Wednesday. What if you can't get to the clinic? Now you may have left yourself short. Methadone withdrawal is nasty.
  11. amillie412

amillie412 Senior Contributor

I have been in a methadone program for over 7 years. Unfortunately the highest dose I went to was 60mg so I never had a dose as high as you are on. I just wanted to share some side effects that I had throughout the years. I as well was hot and sweating ALL THE TIME. No matter how hot it was outside or where I was I was sweating EVERYWHERE. For me after a while..my body felt wonderful maybe for the first 2 hours after a dose(always took in the morning) and then would taper off through the day but eventually got to the point where I was not feeling "dope sick" at all. My want to eat would go back and forth. Sometimes I was never hungry and sometimes I could eat the whole house. Towards noon each day I would start to feel tired but it would ware off after some time. That also made my weight go up and down as well. I feel like there will be a point with you will fell comfortable(stable) all day long. Try not to up your dose to make you feel better...stay the same and stabilize on that mg and go from there. I promise you everything will hit steady soon!!!!!!
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  12. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Truer words were never spoken. Try very hard to not updose. I went to the max dose at the clinic. I was very dipstick at that point.
    Then the methadone no longer worked for me. It was just like the first fix of the day.
    True concern likes this.
  13. Robertd90

Robertd90 Member

Late response I’m up to 130 now. I’ve had extreme daytime fatigue like I just slept from noon to 8 pm then have been up tossing and turning all night I take kalopin effexor and latuda and gabapenten I looked it up those all enchance fatigue so today I’m taking them at night see if my energy will return I just started getting on track with taking my proper meds I think I’m just taking them at wrong time and I won’t eat during day so I’ll eat a bunch at night so I just gotta switch medication taking times around I’ll let you know. Hopefully that’s the answer to the sudden extreme daytime fatigue
  14. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Moderator Community Listener

Hi @Robertd90 it very well could be the klonopin and Gabapentin together they both work on the gaba system and could cause extreme fatigue and drowsiness.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  15. DoxyMom

All those meds including the high dose of methadone will cause fatigue. I'm on 80mg and am considering tapering down some as I am too sleepy at this dose. My clinic would of made me go for a eeg and with the klonopin, I doubt they would of allowed that high of dose. 120 is it without jumping through hoops etc.but if that is what you need to stay c!ean? Just be careful.