New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Methadone to overcome heroin addiction?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Teresa, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I am curious to know what people think of methadone clinics? Does methadone actually help a heroin addict to become drug free or is it just replacing one addiction with another addiction.
  2. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Yes methadone 100% works but you've got to do it properly and take it seroiusly. It is replacing one for another, but the other is free, lets you live a normal life, and gives you a chance to get out of the situation you've got yourself in. I weaned myself off methadone about 9 years ago, but you cannot use H at all or it wont work . Unfortunatly after I was 4 years clean I made the mistake of starting to use again and am now back to square one. It a long hard road, but please dont think its hopeless because its not.
    Teresa likes this.
  3. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'm really sorry you relapsed after 4 years. That is how long I have been sober of alcohol. I know I'll always have to keep my guard up when it comes to booze. I never want to go back there, and I really wish you the best with kicking your addiction. You are right it's never hopeless you, did it once you can do it again:)
  4. I've known people who have had a lot of success with methadone programs (suboxone and subutex as well.) I don't personally have any experience with it and it is a bit concerning knowing that some people stay on it for years and years but I am in no position to judge. To me it definitely seems like the lesser of two evils as everyone I have ever met on methadone has actively been pursuing sobriety and to better their quality of life.
  5. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

I find the methadone just helps you live a normal life when normally it's all over the place.
    Sue likes this.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Well this does seem like it works for a period of time. It is a measure that can be possibly used for a time, coming from those who have experienced it. However, I would not think any substance is healthy for long periods of time. I hope it works for all who try it.
  7. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Methadone will work, it just comes down to the person who is taking the methadone. It is not healthy for a long period of time however. I know people who have been on Methadone and have stayed off drugs, however they ended up being addicted to the Methadone.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Methadone does work. But like the other people have said, it's got to be done properly and managed by health care professional's. Methadone has been given to heroin addicts for a number of years now so the chances if it working will be fairly high.
  9. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I was on methadone for a while and when I was going to the clinic I was still using heroin. I was only at 60mgs so I could still feel the high. From my experience, once you get to a high dose is when you won't be able to get high anymore.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I've heard of methadone clinics but I didn't know that this is what it was for. It slows your breathing or stops it? This makes no sense. It may cause a life threatening heart rhythm disorder. Gotta watch out for that "may cause". Do not drink on it. May repair your thinking or reactions. The common side effects from methadone are pretty nasty. Dizziness, vomiting, & sweating. I don't know this just doesn't sound good to me.
    So let's see, these are the symptoms of heroine withdrawal without methadone; restlessness, aches, pains in bones, diarrhea, vomiting, and severe discomfort. It also slows your breathing. Interesting. The long term effects are quite interesting too. Funny how all of this sounds like other drugs.
    The severe discomfort is what I am wondering about. It's an opiate. So the only thing to worry about with the withdrawal is someone killing themselves. Ok. They also might be repulsed by food. I guess some people try detoxing this at home with family or friends. I don't know it doesn't seem that much different than what someone can go through on a good detox without heroine. I did an extensive detox last spring and I had some time in there was some time during that it was pretty rough. I have a high tolerance for things so. I guess everyone is different. Maybe days on end like this would be hard to deal with. To me you just ride it out and eventually it goes. I don't know I wouldn't want to trade one drug for another.
    mountain girl likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I think that some heroin users get prescribed methadone and still use heroin, that's not happening as much as it used to due to the drug testing that goes on now.

Here in the UK people can be drug tested anytime if they have an history of drug abuse, and before you get prescribed your next batch of methadone you'll be tested aswell.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I saw something on the news where in some areas they are giving addicts medically supervised injections of heroin. What do people think about this? Is it way to go? It sounds a bit like a nanny state, and methadone may be the better alternative. However, whatever they do is better than people killing themselves I think.
  13. Dilof

Dilof Member

Methadone is almost equally as addictive as Heroin. The reliance of heroin addicts on the newfound drug makes them believe that they actually need the drug in order to stay off of heroin. Methadone has one of the highest rates of fatalities based on the number of confirmed addicts.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Those stats are not accurate. They include all deaths from methadone use and or abuse. They aren't stats of methadone maintenance patients alone. People using methadone as a maintenance therapy are not becoming addictited to a new drug. They are already addicted to opiates, methadone is being used to replace the opiate of choice. Methadone satisfies the bodies need for heroin in an addict without giving them a high. It is chemical trickery. It doesn't really treat the addiction, it just maintains it without the same effects. This type of therapy does have it's own set of risks and isn't really a viable solution in the long run, but if you are going to use statistics to deflate it, use the correct ones please.
  15. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Methadone is killing people too. Did you guys hear about that singer Corrine Bailey Rae? Her husband got drunk one night and took his friend's methadone and died the next day. Can you imagine what it is doing to people's insides? I wish there was another way to wean people off of heroin instead of substituting it for some other bad substance.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

Any drug can kill when abused or used improperly. This isn't a case of methadone being deadly to the person it was prescribed for. This is a case of somebody that the drug wasn't intended for using it with alcohol. If we were to start denying people use of prescription medications because of the possibility somebody else might abuse them there would be no prescriptions for anything.
  17. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I honestly don't know if methadone helps heroin addicts. In my personal experiences with the heroin addict in my family methadone just seems like a substitute to me. When they can't get their smack they go to the clinic for methadone. I hope one it does help diminish the cravings for the other. If not, what good is it?
  18. JohnBeaulieu

That is exactly the point of it. It replaces the heroin. They get a controlled amount, free of charge. It does not make them high and reduces or eliminates the heroin craving. Hopefully they wont be lying, cheating or stealing to get the heroin and they wont be suffering the effects of using the heroin or craving it. It is a substitute for the heroin that does not have the effects of heroin on mood or perception, it is chemical trickery to satisfy an addiction, but it does not cure it or really treat it.
    MsLucy likes this.
  19. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Methadone definitely helps with a heroin addiction. It really helps a person live a normal lifestyle and be able to think clearly again.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

If you mean it helps by maintaining the addiction sure. If you think it actually cures or treats it you may want to rethink your position.