An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Methadone. Zombie Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Ravkav, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Ravkav

Ravkav Member

I'm a junkie and thinking about doing this. Rehab just doesn't work for me.

Problem. Everyone I know on methadone acts like a zombie. For real.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Ravkav,
    Here's some more info on methadone.
    I think when not abused Methadone can be helpful for heroin addicts. As a recovering heroin addict who's done long-term maintenance, I'll tell you it was a drug I definitely abused to a zombie level. Suboxone was a much better plan for me. Mainly because it doesn't produce the same euphoric high methadone does (same one I got from heroin). Don't get me wrong - Suboxone is still an opiate with potential for abuse, but I considered it the lesser of two long-term maintenance evils for me when compared to Methadone. Why do you think rehab doesn't work for you? Just curious.
    enice2377, Charli and Joseph like this.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Suboxone definitely sounds like the "safer" option in comparison to Methadone. When it comes to rehab, I'm of the opinion that it always works...eventually. A person might go to rehab and then relapse once they're done, and this could happen multiple times. However, I've seen people persist through multiple stints in rehab and then eventually come out clean in the end.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  4. Shannon Campo

Shannon Campo Member

I also have had experience with Methadone and Suboxone treatment for my heroin addiction. I was told by one of my counselors that she quit her job at the Methadone Clinic because it was just as bad as heroin itself. Methadone didn't get me off of heroin, and neither did Suboxone, but Suboxone helped a lot with the withdrawals when I was really ready to put my addiction behind me. I've been clean for over a year now, and plan to stay that way.

I've heard at NA and AA that relapse is part of recovery, and from my experience it is. I relapsed several times until I was sick and tired of living that way. You'll know when you're ready, and it sounds like you may be getting there.

I wish you the best of luck. Heroin addiction isn't an easy thing to overcome, but I promise you that if I can do it, so can you.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Congrats on your 1+, Shannon!
  6. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Any drug can become abused. It all depends on if we really want to be drug free. I have had friends that started going to the methadone clinics just because it was cheaper and more convenient and the clinics never ran out. Once you start taking suboxone or methadone these are to be taking to wind you down and get you clean a lot of us as addicts just trade one addiction for another I've done it. I actually liked the methadone high better than the opiates I were taking which was Roxie and Opana and stop them only to become hooked on a more potent and powerful drug the methadone. My point is if your trying to give up one it might be hard but not taking anything and just quitting everything is whats best we have to want to break the chains of addiction and becoming totally free from all substances that are addictive is the only way. Good Luck!
  7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I rather be drug free and away from drugs then to use one and become its slave. I do not think I would abuse methadone in a zombie apocalypse I would end up being zombie food.
  8. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

The truth is, with either medication, you're going to have to want it first. Sub seems to be a "safer" route, but I can't help but notice the significant amount of people I have seen recently abusing the hell out of it too. There needs to be checks and balances in your life, and I think if you can implement that, you'll have an easier time, no matter what you choose.
    Joseph likes this.
  9. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

I would definitely go with Suboxone over Methadone. It is the safer option, but it's also absolutely critical that you realize it is a means to an end - not another high. I feel like with clinics you also have to work on monitoring yourself. If you think you can handle a lower dose go for a lower dose - don't wait for them. I had a friend that attended a Methadone clinic (2 years sober!!). While he had an easy time getting down to a certain dose of Methadone he really struggled to get off of it completely. The clinic kept pushing him to take the same dose. Or they would lower his dose just to suggest he up his dose the next time he was in.

Both will help you get off heroin (as long as you are using them responsibly), but it's still going to be a hard process. Not to deter anyone what-so-ever into trying to get clean. You just have to go into it being realistic so you can be ready for what comes.
  10. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

To the person who said, "you have to want it. You'll know when you're there,"

You are absolutely correct!

You may be 100% serious about getting clean and relapse. People will very rarely kick their addiction on their first try..but once you're done with being a slave to your drug and you're ready to reclaim your life it'll become easier...well, it's never easy, but it's more doable.
    Jen S. likes this.
  11. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Completely agree, @mimsee
    It's difficult for me to describe when people ask me "So, what made you decide enough was enough"....lots of things. But when I was done, it felt different. It's not like every other time I was lying about wanting it. I really, REALLY did. I just wasn't willing to do whatever it took. I kind of pick and chose what I was willing to do :) and it never worked out.
  12. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Methadone is great when it comes about heroin addicts, but this should be taken very carefully in order to not replace an addiction with another. As someone said above, Suboxone sounds more safe but it should also be taken very carefully under medical qualified care.
  13. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I have heard great things about the use of Methadone as treatment for addiction. Whatever it takes to get you clean just keep fighting through to your clean and can manage your life.
  14. Mallard

Mallard Member

Hmmm, methadone. That word brings up so many emotions. I'm glad to say that my first reaction is stay away, but have to admit that my second is where can I get some!! LOL! I was on it for 10 years and let me tell you I loved it. It got me high, and it was legal! What could be better than that?! But, it sure didn't help with my addiction to pain killers. I just traded one for the other.

My advice to anyone seriously considering it, would be to make sure you go to a reputable clinic. Do your research. Of the 4 clinics I used over 10 years, 1 had the director indicted for medical fraud, and another had a counselor using and selling to clients. There is so much potential for abuse, not only by staff, but by the clients.

And absolutely do not let them tell you, "you need to be comfortable" and keep upping your dose. In my opinion, 3 of the 4 I used were just pushers. I finally found a reputable clinic and was able to get them to help me wean off, so it is possible.

I don't have any personal experience with Suboxone, other than having a friend who was on it for 4 years. His withdrawal from it wasn't as bad as mine off methadone, but I will say that he used to call me all the time to help talk him through it. He's been off it for a few months now, but still has the craving for it. I'm glad to say though, that we support each other, and are staying clean! :D
  15. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Whichever drug you choose to use to help, make sure you are getting good care to help you use it properly as a tool, rather than succumbing to another addiction. Like the people above have said, you have to be committed to your recovery and getting clean. It may be a bumpy road, but don't give up.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is alarming to know.
    It will be really better if they could find some alternatives that will be helpful in curing addiction and will not just cause another addiction.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's good you're thinking about Methadone, but you can't really escape from its awful side effects such as nausea, impotence, insomnia and anxiety to name a few. Maybe you can look for alternatives that don't have these side effects. If it's possible, maybe you can resort to herbal medicine.
  18. kariad28

kariad28 Member

Methadone is a very strong drug. It can also kill you if you try and just go cold turkey. I have a few friends on it they use it for pain. I really hate that they started it because once you stop taking them. You start to go through bad withdrawals. I honestly think that if you find a way to stop taking it you should. If you want to beat this you have to find the right person or place to go to.
  19. ally79

ally79 Member

I don't think that herbal alternatives would be a viable option, at least not at first. Everyone I know who has ever tried Methadone ended up addicted to it instead of getting clean. I don't know much about Suboxone, but I imagine it has the same potential for abuse. It might be best to seek inpatient treatment to get you started back on the right path.
  20. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I've never had a friend with a methadone addiction before, so I'm not quite sure what it's like. However, I completely understand that everyone goes through rehab differently, but the fact is that going to rehab is already taking a huge first step. If you are feeling like a zombie, try to get something else to concentrate on, like a hobby. Personally, I love building Gundam figurines. It's just calming for me, but it's also challenging.