An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Methadone. Zombie Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Ravkav, Oct 1, 2014.

1. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Im on methadone and manage to live a perfectly nomal life, raising 2 children age 6 and 1. I am certainly not zombied out. Are you sure your not on a too high dose? I also get no side effects from it as someone listed above, I did get a time when I was really sweating, but thats gone now.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have heard that methadone is just as bad as heroin. I have never had any experience with either so I don't know. I have just been told that people get hooked on both really easily. I do know there is a women that lives near by that is any addict. She goes to a clinic once a month to get methadone.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've never taken any of these myself so I'd just take the word of the more experienced people in this thread. I say just find whatever works for you and if you think this isn't the right path for you then try something else, just as long as you keep trying because once you give up then it's where things get really dark.
  4. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

Methadone works wonders for people who really want to get clean. It is hard to criticize a treatment based on people who don´t even want to be treated. If you really want to change your life, it will work. If you don´t want to change your life, you can abuse it the same way you abused other drugs.
    angel_lou likes this.
  5. angel_lou

You hit the nail right on the head. Ive always said if you do it properly it 100 % works.
  6. enice2377

enice2377 Member

Excellent and pointed response. You hit the proverbial nail on the head! Methadone is a powerful full opiate antagonist which fully saturates your opiate receptors exactly like heroin. Suboxone is a partial and for some reason doesn't come close to the euphoria experienced from methadone. I currently take methadone for chronic pain due to multiple shoulder operations and I can honestly say that I have a better quality of life, because of this drug.
  7. angel_lou

I am currently on a methodone script having relapsed after getting clean for 5 years. I used methadone properly last time and weaned off in about 18 months. You have to be in the right mindset for it to work. I had a determination last time that carried me through, wish I could find it again as im still using at the moment.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Drugs is never the answer. Look for other alternatives and much healthier methods that will help you in a way.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Methadone is considered to rather old fashioned now. Suboxone has far fewer side effects and is much easier to withdraw from. However, methadone is more suitable for those who have been used to using a lot of heroin (over $100 per day) as it's effects last longer.