An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mixing Alcohol And Medication

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by oraclemay, Dec 14, 2015.

1. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have a friend who had to take sleep medication for a while. She got mixed up with some guy and I hardly saw her. Recently she moved home and asked me to help her. I went because I heard desperation in her voice. She was behaving strangely and told me that she had been drinking wine and smoking grass every day with a friend. She was also taking sleeping tablets and on anti anxiety medication. I was shocked at her behavior. I never knew her like this. She is no longer friends with these people and no longer smoking, but still drinking wine every day and on medication. I stayed with her for 2 weeks because she seemed traumatized. I had to have it out with her about her drinking and meds every day because she would fall into bed like a zombie every night! She always drank before, socially, not like this! She thought it was fine but could not see herself.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the big issue here us that she's obviously seeing that she needs help, that's why she's come home and turned to you. Wanting help is the first sign that a person is ready to beat an addiction.

Drinking and medication can be a lethal combination and the sooner the drinking stops the better, but maybe cutting down gradually us the better option in this case?
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Just adding to what @pwarbi says. Take a look at the article linked to below:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-edlund-md/alcohol-and-sleeping-pills_b_1094706.html
    Are the meds she's taking prescribed by a doctor? If they aren't then you need to get her to stop using them because if she uses drinks and also uses medication.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is very dangerous behaviour and your friend has reached a place in her life where she really needs some help. She reached out to you knowing she could trust you. I hope that she can get off the sleeping pills and alcohol combination soon before it is too late. I have personally known people who have died that way.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

The medications are prescribed by a doctor. She has always had a drink and she has always been fine. If she was driving she would never drink and I never saw her like this either. I am not staying with her anymore and she says she is much better. I hope this is true, but I have my doubts. She phones me and wants to go on holiday and begs me to go with or she wants to go on an outing. She then never comes back to me about the time, never confirms dates etc. I don't hear from her for a week or two. This makes me wonder. When I confronted her I told her that she would spend time with her other friends when I tell her things she does not like to hear. This is the truth, I care about her and refuse to condone her behavior. I have a glass of wine myself now and again, but never with medication and also at appropriate times and places. (A meal in a restaurant or family occasion). I have had wine with her in her home, but it is not the same anymore and I had to stop because she did not! I told her that she should not drink again until she is off all medication because she is never in her right mind. She would say that some medication was natural. I told her that the only natural way was not to take sleeping tabs or anxiety medication. She had to get better first. I just hope she is doing better now because she is staying away from me. She called about 2 days ago and invited me on an outing but would come back to me and confirm dates etc. I am waiting to hear.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe you can be the one to first call her and ask her to see you to verify if she is really doing better as she said. Sounds like she needs someone to listen and knows that someone still cares and there for her. It will be helpful if she will be aware that alcohol + sleeping pills already killed personalities and she should avoid that combination.
  7. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Try to push her to better herself gradually, and be there for her. Sometimes all a person needs is someone to listen, don't be preachy, just be a friend to her, but also assert that the habits she's developing are dangerous and unhealthy.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Sometimes it's better to take a step back in situations like this as people sometimes depend too much on their friends. They'll know that whatever happens they will have a place to turn or get advice, and that gives them a false sense of security that they can keep doing what they're doing.

If you take a step back and make it known that you WON'T be there for her in future, then this could be the shock to the system she needs to finally realise she's at risk of pushing people who do care away, and be a catalyst for her to finally do something about her problem.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think she is slowly becoming an alcoholic, I think in this case the best thing for you to do is advise her to stop what she's doing so that it won't get any more worse. If she resists then do not give up and be persistent in advising her that what she's doing is bad for her. If she won't listen then it's about time for a professional to intervene.
  10. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Some people I know do this very well. I know of people who mix herbs with alcohol. Though this can be really dangerous since she is mixing the alcohol with pills. I'm not sure if the pills she is taking was prescribed by her doctor or if she was asked to use the pills with alcohol. What I am sure of is that she mustn't get used to this. Because it could become another form of addiction.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I'd say let her take her pills, but cut down on the grass and alcohol. The pills are just helping her with her condition, but mixing them with substances is never a brilliant idea. It's good that she realized she needed help, though. It's the first sign that she want to beat her addiction and become healthy again. Be there for her when she decides to start her recovery journey.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I know that you have to be careful when it comes to taking different medications because of how they can interact with each other. How much so when it comes to alcohol! I would say that it might be time to distance yourself a bit until she can get her self together. Still be there for her when she is ready to beat the addiction though. Have you talked to your friend about setting up a date to get some help over going out on an outing?