An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mixing drinks

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by SLTE, Sep 4, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I don't mean just taking two drinks and putting them in one glass, mind. I mean drinking three or four different types of alcohol in one sitting.

The first time I drank I had three different kinds of alcohol: vodka to start, some foul gold-coloured stuff with a bit of a spicy taste, and beer to end it off. By the time I got to the beer it tasted like water. Needless to say I had a horrible night, and given that it drove me away from alcohol for the most part I'm kinda glad I had such a negative experience.

Has anyone ever mixed their alcohol before in a similar fashion? Do you do it regularly? What are the results? Or do you wisely stick to one kind of drink if you drink at all?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

The first time I drank I had beer to start with, then we got some champagne (it was the New Year's Eve), then whiskey, and after it the host brought some wine and we drank it from straws. It was pretty awful and I told myself I will never drink again. I was so naive.

But I never mixed drinks again. That memory still haunts me.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I did that once, and it was pretty rough. I think I combined orange juice with vodka, champagne and one other thing I can't quite remember. The orange juice helped with the taste but after a glass of that beverage I straight up vomited. Combining alcohol is not something that you can do easily, you have to have experience to make an at least decent beverage from mixed drinks.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

Mixing drinks can be dangerous. You don't know how the combinations are going to effect you. Blood rises faster after drinking liquor like vodka than beer. So, if you drink liquor first and then beer you are likely to feel the effects of beer sooner even if you think that beer doesn't do much for you. Remember that the liver can only efficiently process one standard-sized alcoholic drink per hour, although men can process more alcohol per hour than women.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I always go by the following motto: "Beer after wine is fine. Wine after beer...oh dear".
    Rosyrain likes this.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I used to drink Long Island Iced Tea. The mixture of alcohol in this drink was more than enough to get you drunk quickly. I think the fact that you might have mixed drinks that don't go together could be the reason for you getting sick. I really wouldn't get stupid drunk these days being sober and alert is best. Certain types of alcohol really don't mix together well.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Well, obviously, we've talked about mixed drinks and their effects quite a bit here in the past. Mixed drinks is the perfect combination for a terrible night in most cases, but some people will drink as much alcohol as they can, regardless of what kind of alcohol they're consuming. For some, it's a way to drive yourself away from drinking alcohol, but others can find that it makes them feel even "better".
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have done that many years ago in my younger years and I always found that it would make you sick. You also got drunk a lot faster and the hangover the next day was miserable. I can not even imagine doing that today. It just doesn't appeal to me. There is really no good that can come from it.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Booze is booze, different "types" just have different concentrations and other things like flavors. In the end there really isn't any different kind of alcohol, it's all the exact same chemical and it's effect is always the same. Mixing different types has no different effect then just sticking to the same kind
    What happened to you is you desensitized yourself to the concentration of alcohol, you started strong and moved to weak. So you just over drank because you didn't really taste the alcohol in it, which is why it tasted like water to you.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Mixing your drink types can definitely make you sick. I used to drink that nasty wine cooler stuff when I was young and then mix that with beer or whatever else we had on hand and it made for some nasty hangovers and hugging the toilet.
  11. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

Back in the days, I used to drink whatever was handed to me or whatever I can get my hands on. In parties, they usually have more than four kinds of drink and that is really something that would give you a very nasty hangover and make you stay away from the stuff for a few days. Good for you, it made you stay away longer.
  12. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I made the mistake of doing this one time at a party with some friends when I was younger.It was all cool and fun at the time until I walked outside and the wind hit me and I started getting a really bad headache and really sick. Needless to say I was puking all the way home and when I tried to lay down, the whole room seemed to be spinning , like I was on a roller coaster. It was the worst night of my life. Not to mention the morning after I could not get out of bed, I was so sick. Never again did I or will I mix drinks.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've been there before. It usually happens because we are at a party and we get offered different drinks because they ran out of the preferred beverage. Also if you are at a bar and people are buying you drinks, then of course you are going to take it and mix it all up. It happens a lot and quite frequently.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You don't want to do that. Mixing leads to messy hang overs. Doesn't really sit well with most people. If you are going to drink stick to the same type for a night. You can end up throwing up quite a bit from mixing alcohol. Beer with a shot or two usually is ok but all of this is liquid garbage.
  15. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

One of the worst nights of my life was the night I decided to mix Guinness, whisky and Jager.

I thought I was going to die. I was so sick, I don't have anything to compare it to. I drank a lot that night, so I'm fairly sure I had alcohol poisoning.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Oh, yeah, I know exactly what you mean. That's why I always try to stick to one type of drink. Mixing can get you drunk a lot faster than we usually expect. Sometimes it's unavoidable, and that's usually when someone else is providing the drinks. But it's not like that for everyone. I've got a friend who loves mixing beer, rum and coke in the same glass, and I've never seen him out of his mind. Usually I'm the one who gets really drunk when we get together. You only know he's drunk when he stops talking and gets this really weird look on his face.
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have known people who put Red Bull in their alcohol, and I seriously think that is a one way train to having some bad heart problems in the future.
  18. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I never have any more than 3 drinks ever because I know that I will start to get sick if I go beyond that. Shockingly I am able to cut myself off and I never end up going beyond that. Some people have a hard time cutting themselves off and that is when they run into trouble.
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I think I was more likely to get blackout drunk when I mixed different types of alcohol. I only ever had one actual blackout, but there were some other close calls. Not to mention, the hangovers could be quite nasty, as others have mentioned. It put me off the practice.
  20. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

The only alcohol that I have ever had combined was rum and redbull. I have not had many variations of liquor in one setting so I don't know how the liquors that are consumed last will taste.