An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mixing drinks

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by SLTE, Sep 4, 2015.

1. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's very dangerous and you don't know how your body will react at any given time. It may be fine one time and then not the next. It's not a good idea at all.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I find when I mix types of alcohol through the night I end up way more intoxicated than I should. Even when I haven't had very much of each. I end up feeling sick and are more hungover the next day. Now I only have one type of drink when I am drinking to avoid this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

yuk. I don't think mixing different types of drinks would be good at all. I mean some types of alcohol drinks do mix different types of alcohol for instance something like a Long Island Iced Tea has different types of alcohol in it, but I really wouldn't do this on a regular basis. It sounds like a good way to get sick. I am not into that at all!
  4. harold

harold Community Champion

Mixing drinks can be very dangerous. Apart from the fact that you can easily get drunk, the mixed drinks can easily irritate you and cause you to be sick. You could find yourself vomiting, irritated at everything in front of you or deeply immersed in a painful headache. In addition to this, you can easily get drunk. These are just a few experiences people have when they mix drinks. What then is the use of mixing substances when the results will not be good for you? People really need to avoid this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think I would like the idea of mixing drinks. That would probably leave me with a terrible headache in the morning, and no one wants that, right?
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The first and last time I ever mixed drinks the same night I had a blackout for the very first time. What I did or said that night remains a mystery to me, but not to my cousins, who promised they'd not tell me the embarrassing things I did and said and that they'd never talk about it. Something that they have kept until now and I must add I'm so grateful for that. After that night I knew I should never do such a thing, oddly enough that awful night wasn't enough for me to want to really quit... some years after that had to pass before I finally decided to go for it.
  7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard of people doing things like mixing redbull with alcohol with horrible results. I can't imagine what it does to tour stomach and liver to have different alcohols mixing inside you, making you sick.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm usually just a lager drinker and then I'll have maybe a Jack Daniels at the end of the night, so I've never really been one for mixing drinks.

I know a few friends, and they're usually the females for some reason that will have a few glasses of wine, then maybe go on to the vodka, then alcopops and so mixing drinks is quite popular.

They used to say that the hangover was worse in the morning but in my opinion, if you drink that much of any alcohol you'll always wake rough, I think it was just the amount of alcohol, rather than the mixture that caused that.
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I remember mixing vodka and whiskey and the taste was not that great and the hangover was real bad the next day, and decided no to try that again as it made the mind have mood swings and it can be a bad choice when you do this sort of thing. I reckon that a person needs to try and make sure the drinks are not mixed up, especially at parties since this can happen very easily, and can make some people feel unwell and not want to drink for quite a while. It is interesting to see what can occur at parties since most times people don't think straight, and they may drink some mixed drinks which can cause stress or the person to have hangovers.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

The most number of drinks that I had in one go was 15 different shots. My friends and I went to Boracay (it’s a popular island destination in the Philippines) and we decided to party at this bar. They had this challenge wherein you have to drink 15 shots of liquor in one sitting and you still have to remain standing afterwards. Oh well, I kind of passed out. I couldn’t walk properly after consuming 15 shots. Combining that number of strong alcoholic beverages is a bad idea.
  11. x9859x

x9859x Member

I was the same way about two years ago. I would drink whatever was handed to me at a party, and I would not question it because I knew the person handing me the drank each time. Mixing drinks is very dangerous, and I really did not question whether it was dangerous or not back then. I was just enjoying my time drinking and feeling free and careless. I have had many different drinks handed to me, and at times even two drinks handed to me at the same time. The night after the party, I had a really bad hangover and was constantly throwing up in a trash bag. I don't remember anything that happened other than I knew I had one too many to count.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

We used to do shots of Vodka/Whisky and we called them "vodski" AKA Mr. Tough Guy. Nothing tough about a guy that's fall over drunk though.

But like I said before, different types of booze don't have different effects, it's all alcohol no matter how you mix it.
  13. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

Oh boy, I've been exactly there. Totally feel you on that. Used to drink anything and everything I could get my hands on. Booze, wine, beer, whatever. In any order. Didn't matter. Of course, that made for brutal hangovers and miserable mornings. At some point I figured out that mixing was a bad idea, and I started drinking one kind of booze. When that caught up with me I switched to beer and wine, like Bukowski. And then, ultimately, the right decision was to quit entirely.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

You know, I honestly never noticed a difference. It was more about the quantity and alcohol content of what I consumed rather than mixing different types. As someone who has thankfully recovered now, I can say with a fair bit of certainty that if you're mixing a whole bunch of different types of alcohol, it's safe to say you're probably having too much anyway.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Very true, never mix your drinks. I personally put them into two categories, fermented and distilled. Fermented drinks tend to take longer to drink and will be safer to mix, but distilled drinks will hit you like a wall if you mix them with fermented drinks. I tend to avoid distilled drinks, the outcome can be unpredictable.
  16. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yep, mixing drinks will make you feel bad, if not in the same night at least in the next day you'll have a terrible hangover. Nothing like drinking moderately and not abusing, we can enjoy the night even more.