An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Money and Drugs

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Feb 2, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I remember an addicted relative of mine who belonged to a well to do family. I'd say he was born with a silver spoon because they had everything and they could afford anything they wanted. They had maids who took care of all their needs and whenever he wanted something he would just ask money from his mom and she gives him cash without any question or hesitation.

Until the day came that he was influenced on taking in different kinds of substances by his peers. It went on until he became addicted. It was too late when his mom realized that her ways of spoiling her kids with money would turn out to be a very negative thing.

Having a lot of money doesn't give us the right to become lenient about it. Having a lot of money doesn't mean that it could ever replace the care and guidance that our children needs from us. Sometimes, all our children need is our love and attention for them to be able to grow up as good individuals. Money is indeed not everything we need because it can lead to evil things if we don't use it well.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's really a sad story. Well, I agree with you about that, money cannot buy you everything in this world. It won't assure you happiness and contentment. And just because you're rich doesn't mean you're already immune to the temptations of substance abuse. We can all be victims of addiction.
    gracer likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

True that a spoiled child could lead to such situations in their later life. Parents or guardians should guide their kids well in choosing right decisions and knowing what they should be spending their money at. Not just because you can give money and what they want, you are a good parent already.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Money can buy us all the material things we need and want. But it cannot give us true happiness, true love and true companion. It's sad that there are people who think otherwise. No matter how much money you have, if you cannot guide your child into living a life that is moral, you still will feel like a failure. And for kids who use their parent's hard-earned money just to fulfil their addiction needs, think again.

Your parents worked hard to give you everything you need. You might say they neglected you for work but you know that's not true. They just want to give the best to you. Talk to them and tell them that it's love and care that you need, not money. Because parents do not know everything, sometimes we get hooked into thinking that material things are all that matters.
    gracer likes this.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

gracer likes this.
  6. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I personally don't think that being rich is a problem. All parents have to do is give guidance to their kids on the effects of drugs. Another way that makes a kid appreciate more is giving them chores to do in return for money. This not only shows how the real world is, it also teaches discipline.
    gracer likes this.
  7. gracer

I remember my ex-boyfriend who used to rebel on his parents by being hooked to marijuana, alcohol and smoking. His reason for his rebellion was because he never experienced his dad's presence and guidance when he was growing up because he was working abroad and would only go home once or twice a year. What he failed to realize was that his dad only did it for them to have a better life and a good education. I hope he realizes it now.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

That sounds like some people I know. These people that I'm talking about are two of my oldest cousins. My aunt and uncle have a lot of money back then. But because of their business, they're always away so they don't have time to spend with their kids. What they did was they compensated their lack of presence with money. And you know what happens when teenagers have more money that they can spend? They don't know what to do with it. So they spend it on drugs and alcohol. My uncle and aunt found out about their kids addiction eventually but it's too late. Now, my uncle and aunt are gone, but their sons are still addicts. We've tried to help and intervene but it was no use. They just come to us (the other member of the family) to ask for money. They both have kids of their own now, but they still use drugs. And I'm just afraid that my nephews and nieces might follow in their footsteps.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've known many people who were told about the dangers of drugs by their parents that still ended up using drugs. If only it was as simple as parents guiding their kids. A lot more factors to it than simply parental support or lack thereof.
    gracer likes this.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Usually, rich people who get addicted to drugs do this because they lack a lot of things, and I am not talking about money. In many cases, their parents spoil them with money, but money can't buy the presence of the parents. As simple as that.

Usually, they pay more on drugs than the average drug users because the drug dealer is obviously aware of their wealth status and their friends hang out with them just for their money. They have money, but are all alone, thereofre they need to fill the gap somehow.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Yes, exactly, that's why most kids rebel nowadays. They feel neglected although they have been provided by material things already. It's true that money really cannot buy everything. I just hope parents realise this now and kids as well. I hope there is more open communication between both parties.
    gracer likes this.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, what's done is done, and she can't blame anyone else but herself because of her negligence and being lenient with her child. Money, when not handled well is the root of all evil, so we must be mindful in using it. Spoiling your children is a big no-no.
    gracer likes this.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This reminds me of a person who was a good friend for a short while many years ago. He inherited a lot of money from one of his relatives which led to him becoming addicted to heroin and alcohol. He managed to quit the heroin in the end but couldn't quit the alcohol. The weight literally dropped off him rapidly until there was nothing left. He died when he was 27 by accidentally falling down two flights of stairs when drunk.
  14. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

They say that more wealth only makes you more of what you already are- so if you're an addict and you get more money, you're simply going to indulge yourself more. However, it also provides you the option to get the kind of help that a lot of other people might not or cannot get. It really depends on the person and whether they decide to change themselves for the better.
    gracer likes this.
  15. gracer

@Mara Your cousins' situation is also the same as how my relative's life turned out to be. His parents are already gone but he's still on his addiction until now that he's already old. For a long time, he wasn't able to find a family of his own and he lived in different houses including ours. His life is really miserable because of his addiction.

@Sparkster It's so sad to know how your friend's life ended just like that. Many people suffer the same fate because of their addiction and it's just sad to know that their lives could have been something more than how they lived it if only they chose to change.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It's true that money can't solve every problem, still we all need it. If someone has a lot of money they can get away with a drug habit until it eventually kills them. Even rich parents have to pay attention to their kids behavior, everyone does. I hope everything turns out better for this family and the drug habit doesn't break it apart.
    gracer likes this.
  17. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Here in the Middle East it is pathetic. Substance abuse among teenagers and youths is so high they either die from overdose or are killed in accidents. This is all because they are raised in wealth and their parents are too busy to care for them; it therefore leads to abuse.
  18. gracer

Sometimes the effect of too much focus on work and career puts family relationships especially child-parent relationships because of the lack of attention parents give to their children. No matter how much money parents spend to make up for the time they don't spend with their children, it will never replace the care and feeling of love that children need from their parents. It's just sad how more parents are so busy with their career nowadays that they neglect the very reason why they are working as hard as they can, their family and children.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

If we give our children a lot of money then they may never concentrate on their studies. They should learn that they have to work hard so that they can make their own money when they grow up. As long as we can give them the basic needs them let us buy for them anything extra that they may want, not giving them money.
    gracer likes this.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think being educated on what money is used for early helps. If you use money to build wealth and create opportunities for others in the future, then that's smart. If your child has a plan for what there going to with there money that's not destructive, it would be safe to not restrict what there given. I think it's really all about someones point of view of wealth
    gracer likes this.