An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Money and Drugs

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Feb 2, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Addiction is a problem which affects people of all economic statuses. Whether someone is brought up in an environment that is wealthy, middle-class, or poor does not predict whether or not someone will become addicted to drugs or alcohol. Parents and guardians need to educate their children on the perils of addictive drugs and alcohol and act as responsible, adult role models. Parents can do so regardless of how much money they have.
    gracer likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that story in the OP is an all too familiar one and happens more than people think.

Money doesn't make a difference were addiction is concerned, in fact it can even be the cause of addiction as a person that already has everything they want, will often be more likely to look for other things in their life to make it more exciting.
    gracer likes this.
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

That is true. Sometimes the thought that you have a lot of money gives you the option to try out drugs and substances for the excitement and thrill. I think that aside from the influences of peers and the lack of attention from parents, the thrill seeking attitude of some people are met when they have the money to do so. It's just sad that some people have to resort to drugs in order to get the thrill they think they would find in using substances.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Money certainly does make it easier for kids to buy drugs and as most rich kids always want to be the "coolest" it's very easy for peer pressure to lead them down the "dark path" and by the time their parents realize they are addicts it might be too late to help them because even if they no longer give them money there'll always be "stuff" in their homes which they can sell and get money which they'll use to buy drugs.

Parents should talk to their kids about drugs and be close enough to them to know when they start slipping.

Nonetheless when all is said and done:

“Parents can only give good advice or put them [their children] on the right paths, but the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands.” Anne Frank

The kids eventually grow up and won't need to obey their parents. What will they choose?
    gracer likes this.
  5. pwarbi

Well I'm not going to argue with Anne Frank of course, but I do think it's a little more complicated than that.

While it's true that in the end of the day it's up to the individual what path they go down, I think if some of the paths, and some of the choices they make are cut off, they're a lot less likely to choose the wrong one.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

This is exactly how this relative of mine has ended up. When his mother found out about his addiction she stopped giving him money when he would ask for some. So for him to be able to feed his addiction, he would eventually sell stuff from their house just so he could have something to buy drugs. This went on until his mom died and he was left with nothing because all their properties were entrusted to his older sister who had all the control. So he went from every relatives house to find shelter but his addictive ways still went on.
  7. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I would have to say that there is definitely a correlation there, but I am not sure exactly what it is. I guess if you have the means to support a habit you are more likely to have a habit and to get started in that sort of lifestyle, but certainly there are other factors at work. I am sure we can all think of examples of both sides.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Even when an addict gets the money it can speed him on his/her way to an early death. A friend of my brother who was an alcoholic inherited his family business. He quit his job [he was a high school teacher] and from then on would be drinking all day long. Two years later he was dead.

A good reason why early intervention is always best. Sometimes one has to offer the addict help and advice [if they reject the help] for them to realize that the drugs they abuse are killing them.
    gracer likes this.
  9. Makana

Makana Member

Gracer hits the nail on the head. If you mix money and kids(especially teenagers), very many experiments are carried out. Drugs and alcohol are some of these experiments and eventually lead to addiction. Some parents literally 'spoil' their children.
    gracer likes this.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

The problem facing many wealthy people is that their wealth has afforded them the opportunity of experiencing lots of exciting stuff in quick succession. They have been there, done that, and have become somewhat bored, which could cause them to be easily led into trying out addictive drugs in order to keep the excitement going, which could lead to possible addiction.
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

This is true! This relative that I talked about in the original post showed signs that he was looking for excitement in his life so he chose friends who had the same interests as him. They would do drugs, party all night and don't go home until they wanted to. He even had famous friends who were addicted as well. Now, some of those friends have gone ahead of him but some are lucky to have recovered from addiction.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you completely, money definitely can make things easier because like it or not, is an essential part of our life, but is not everything. And as you've said people shouldn't replace the attention and love that they can give to their kids with money, that'll just cause more problems progressively, I think.
  13. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Money is no guide or babysitter!
    It just gives people freedom of choice.
    And at a young age, people shouldn't have absolute freedom of choice - they're just not mature enough
    pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

At what age though would you consider a person to be nature though? It's a tricky one simply because everyone is different and will mature at different times in their life.
  15. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It's true, you see this all the time with people who have a lot of money. They keep their children busy by giving them cash instead of attention and guidance which they so clearly need and crave. It is a shame that many of these kids end up as addicts in one form or another.
  16. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Looking for something in places it can't be found.....and then finding ways to comfort the feeling of missing the original want.
    It's only natural for someone who may not know better at the time to go down that route.
    We all want to try and gain happiness or at least not feel pain :(
  17. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It almost always like that or the total opposite but mostly the rich kids are being addicted more easily because they like to be in, to play along with the daddy money style. At least here in Serbia it is like that. My neighbour died in 1999 when he was I think 25 maybe or so. We were kids and I remember that his father was the owner of a TV channel and he ended up selling everything he had from his house. I believe that this is parents fault because they don't pay attention to clues to little things and they see when it's too late because they were busy, working.
  18. pwarbi

Sometimes taking drugs is a cry for help, and a way for people to get themselves noticed. It's not attention seeking in a bad way, it's just taking drugs because there's a big part of their life that's missing.
  19. Fyrion

Fyrion Active Contributor

Even wealth can't prepare you to be a good parent. Only the experience will make you improve as a progenitor. Children need guidance and attention, not only neat gadgets, tummy filled and warm beds. That's just my opinion.
  20. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Kids crave the attention of their parents. Make the most of it while it's that way!
    If they don't get it from you, they'll look for it in other people or activities
    deanokat likes this.