An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Money and Drugs

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Feb 2, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Children dint come with instruction manuals, as the saying goes, so being a parent is going to be hard for most oeopl, no matter what the circumstances are.

While money doesn't help a parent to look after their child more, having that money though can give the child a better start in life, even though that isn't really how it should be.
  2. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Having money isn't the issue.
    A child with money and no boundaries or parental attention is the issue.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well look at people like Charlie Sheen. All the money too much too soon allowed him to make a ruination of his life. His parents seem like decent people, but I know he had a propensity for this lifestyle in the first place as his dad Martin Sheen has struggled with alcoholism. I think he has been sober for a number of years now though.
  4. pwarbi

When we're talking about celebrities though, we tend to think about them as something special but they're not, they're just regular people with regular weaknesses just like the rest of us.

I know people who are unemployed, aswell as those who have high powered jobs with lots of money and fancy cars, but underneath all that, they both take the same drugs.

An alcoholic who is unemployed and an alcoholic who lives in a big house with a big bank balance are both the same, an alcoholic. The the rest is or should be immaterial.
  5. taylorann

taylorann Member

That is a very sad story, but you're totally right. By just giving your kids money you aren't guiding them and giving them the tools to be able to succeed. That's the problem today. So many parents think that they can just give their kids all the things that they want, and they will stay away from the bad things.
    pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

It just shows that material things in life are only going to get you so far. But that isn't always the case as there are some people that are that rich that they're able to stay away from the drug scene altogether.

I'm from the UK, and you get those over here in England that are born into a wealthy family. They attend a private boarding school, then end up at Oxford or Cambridge university, then after that get a well paid, high powered job in daddy's company that they eventually take over. They live out in the middle of nowhere in a big mansion walled off from the outside world and I'm sure they're surrounded by material things, not shown much affection by their parents but haven't gone near any sort of drug in their life.

There's definitely different classes of people even amongst the richest.
  7. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

I've always taught my kids that the true value of money is not in wasting it but on using for worthwhile purposes. All parents, whether affluent or not, should train their children on responsible ways of spending money. Children need to learn about saving at an early age. When they become responsible with money early enough, they will be less likely to blow it all away on drugs and alcohol. Let's teach our young ones to be responsible with money.
  8. ashr0077

ashr0077 Member

today wealth is very important for everyone and everyone want to use it carefully
  9. Sebasty1987

Sebasty1987 Member

For sure I agree with you, I met a lot of people as your friend, I had the same classmate, he was spending money for nothing. I am student and I know what does that mean earning money and how hard it is . But I was able to find a great service, I were really surprised and shocked and you can earn money in such way. playing your favorite computer games and even viewing websites. You can earn 100-150 dollars monthly. Just imagine, get paid playing computer games. You can combine relaxing and getting money for that. It a great opportunity
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. True concern

True concern Moderator