An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Money

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by itsnotmeitsu, Feb 24, 2015.

1. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

Hi everyone, my first post here so please be gentle!

I find that my main motivating factor for wanting to quit is money, without the habit I would have so much money to do things that I enjoy. Saving seems so futile, it takes weeks before the amount starts to build up whereas purchasing drugs is an instant result. I'm sure once my debts are clear it'll be easier, but at the moment it's just easier to say 'yes' instead of saying 'no'

Anyone else in the same boat? How do you counteract this feeling?
    djdrug and missbishi like this.
  2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Hi there!

You pretty much spelled it out right there: Once your debts are clear it'll be easier.
    But they are not going away by themselves...

I owe the back a bit of money. As a result, for the past 6 months my paycheck is gone the minute it reaches my account... It's a horrible feeling.
    Despite my situation, many times during the last 6 months I have spent money on drugs, further worsening my problem in more than a financial situation...
    I have the financial thing almost taken care of, and let me tell you that saving can go a long way.
    You just have to gut check yourself, one day at a time. There's no other way.

If your finances are spiraling out of control you'll feel even worst about yourself, and that will lead to even more consumption.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Hello. I feel I can share here. My husband is a recovery substance abuser. During that time I was the only one working and it was very difficult for me trying to keep bills paid and a roof over our heads. It had gotten so bad that he would steal money out of my purse that I had to hide it. Then things began to disappear which he sold to support his habit.

Now we are just now beginning to feel comfortable about our finances. He's completed his two year degree in substance abuse counseling and has a job. He basically hands his check over to me or pays the bills himself especially since I've been laid off. We still have a long way to go though to try and save money.

I believe that once he completed his rehab that everything became much clearer to him what negative affect his using had created.
  4. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

yes, i do have a friend who is struggling to quit smoking. But what makes his inspiration is the thousands of dollars he should have now if not turned to smoking.
  5. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

Thanks, I think it's one of those things that when I can be looking back at this, I'll have some proper perspective on it and it'll probably be a pretty big realisation.

For now it's all a bit ... 'let the good times roll'
  6. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Money is definitely a factor in the aim to reach sobriety. Whenever a user stops using, I see that they are surprised at the extra amount of money they have. The only downside to this is that they could be tempted to spend it on the not so good things. But if they don't then this is one of the best motivators out there. Everyone loves money!
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Drugs made you feel good when you abused them so what you need as a replacement is something that will make you feel as good but not cost you a thing and not harm you in any way.

I would counsel taking up a hobby or doing something that will boost your mood each day. For example if you were to start learning some craft, the time you'd have spent thinking about what you are missing will be well- used. In time you'll see your desire for instant gratification fade and with it, you'll be patient to wait for your savings to add up before buying yourself something nice.

Also, someone suggested on the forum, that a recovering addict should reward themselves for staying clean weekly. Since this might be a good way to keep you focussed on the goal, then using a bit of your savings to get yourself a treat each week could also motivate you to keep saving more so you can get yourself something bigger and better at a later date.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

@itsnotmeitsu you are going to save a fortune! I bitterly regret the amount of money I have spent on drugs over the years and I wish I'd had the sense to quit much sooner. You'll find that as the money builds up, you'll become even more resolved. It's definitely better to become addicted to saving!
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think whatever motivation you have to quit drugs is fine, as long as you have that motivation. Be that money, health, your family, friends, pets, etc., whatever works for you. In my case I wanted to quit drinking because I started feeling out of control. I gradually had the sensation that another force was operating through me. So, I needed to get back to myself again, as I felt as if I was fading away.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I actually made a similar thread in that since I gave quit my bad habits I am now able to get a better handle on my finances. It is crazy to think about how much money is spent on addictions until the money is back in your wallet.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I remember that thread. Can't remember the title. It's good when you can actually see where your money is going. I have a guy who helps around the shop who loves to smoke. I often humor him and tell him I am not giving him any money to "burn" referring to his cigarette use.
  12. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

Money is a great motivation to stay clean. In any situation where you need ways to save money, the first things that come in mind are to stop wasting it. Even though it isn't as easy as it sounds, quitting and staying away from smoking and drinking will save a lot of money over time.
  13. Rosyrain

Even when people are not addicted to things, there comes a time when you need to examine all of your spending and make cuts if you are trying to reach a goal. I think addicted people have it easier than some when it comes to finding out where they need to cut costs, because the picture is so clear of where the money is going.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Addictions cost a lot of money. If you love money more then drugs, then that's good in our case. As a rule of thumb, if you don't have money on hand, then you won't be able to buy drugs. So with that being said, put your money away so it is really difficult to get it out. That way you can't buy anything you don't need.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Saving money is a good motivational factor for substance abusers to quit. We all know that money is very important, and instead of just wasting your money on unnecessary things, it's much better to invest them on something great.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also definitely think that getting addicted will be a loss of lots of money. There are more other things more important to buy or to spend the money for than on those vices. So right that you can also have higher chances of having savings.
  17. Rosyrain

I love money very much and I love the fact that I am saving more money now that I have quit smoking and buying so much alcohol. I have started to pay my bills on time and I am actually seeing my credit score raise. That is major motivation because I will be able to buy a house or make a major purchase in the next couple of years.
    Winterybella likes this.
  18. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I agree. The financial factor is one of the strongest when it comes to getting out of an addiction. When you abuse drugs, you very often tend to get lost in countless debts and there comes a point when you just can't go on like that. But there is a bright side. When you reach the point, you don't have a choice and the odds of you recovering increase. However, it might be only temporary. As soon as you get back on your feet, there is no guarantee you won't go back to old habits.
  19. juno

juno Community Champion

It can be hard when immediate gratimjfication is so readily available by using, where as saving and paying off debt seems so far away. I think it would be good to set short term goals so the sense of completion and gratification from it is available sooner for your needs. For example try quiting for a week and then use the money that you saved during the week towards buying a little something for your vacation like a swim suit. Each week you stay away from using, you will get closer to your vacation. If a vacation is not your goal then use the money to treat yourself to something else like a movie. As the weeks go by and it gets easier not to use, then you can reward youself by paying off debt as well.
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

The financial factor can be crucial. It could force you to stop using as well as find incentive to make more money in order to keep up your addiction. A more judicious approach would be the former but it really depends on the individual what he chooses to do with his life. These types of decisions determine whether we will turn out good or bad, successful or not.