An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

MONSTER energy drink

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by calicer1996, Apr 5, 2015.

1. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Hey guys! I just drank this Monster drink for the first time. It was a 495 ml can. I felt alright. I've never drank an energy drink before. So, naturally I searched for it's side effects and was shocked to find out that people have died in the past because of this. I am kind of scared right now. Please put my mind to ease.
  2. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

If you are drinking one can of monster it's not too bad, though it is a big risk if you have heart problems. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you drink a large amount.
  3. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I honestly don't think you should drink them. There is not a reason in this world why people need to be so amped up all the time on energy drinks. You will be fine, don't worry, but don't drink them. There is no NEED when it comes to energy drinks like this.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I also have one of those every now and again. It is usually harmless but I don't think it is recommended for people with heart conditions. What I've found out is that this thing makes your heart palpitate like crazy a couple of hours after consumption. So naturally, I only buy Monster prior to running or other physical activity in order to boost my energy. Just don't ever have more than one, maximum two a day. It might have adverse long-term effects.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've heard these stories too but the thing to remember is that they drank so much of the stuff that they ended up overdosing on caffeine. One can won't do any harm whatsoever but don't make it a regular thing as it's really unhealthy in other ways too.
  6. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

I guess one can is not that bad, though I have also heard and read that energy drinks are not really advisable especially for those people who have heart condition. My friend's husband used to drink a can of energy drink almost everyday as he always have to work overtime. When he learned that there could be some side effects, he stopped drinking them right away. It's just that he felt down and indisposed for the next few weeks.
  7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

It won't kill you, you just drank out of a can, which is one indication that it's an acceptable serving size. Don't get me wrong, I loathe energy drinks, mostly because they're very addictive in their own way.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think the common person would die from just one or two cans of energy drinks, because if it did then they would be off the shelves by now. The ones that died from it probably just drank way too much and probably some of them have had it building up due to constant use. If you're really worried then just go to a doctor and have yourself checked out.
  9. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I would suggest consulting with your doctor if you are worried about the effects. Typically, one serving isn't going to kill you, but most of those drinks have an extremely high Niacin count. Niacin is a vasodialator, so it opens up those vessels and gets thinks moving. May people feel that hot flash after drinking, that is sometimes called the Niacin Flush. This could be a complication if you have other issues, but again, just ask your doctor, it can't hurt to ask.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's not going to kill you, that's a sure fact, but it's not going to do you any good, either. You could try and make your own energy drink off of lemons and grapefruits. I can guarantee you that this mixture is definitely enjoyable and that you will enjoy it more than this Monster drink... it's just the name and their T-shirts and accessories that sell, I'm sure of it!
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Energy drinks in general are very bad for your body. They won't do you any good and the substances in them are very very toxic.
    One can isn't going to harm you, but be careful to not drink a lot of them daily. As you said, they can kill you.
  12. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Yes. It's very bad for you. I drank a bottle of Lipovitan. I felt nauseous after drinkin 1/4 the bottle, for some reason.
  13. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

They can, but I've known plenty of people who've drank AMP energy drinks (and I still do, occasionally) but in a GREAT scale (5+ cans a day) and they are healthy as an ox. I wouldn't be shocked to see them croak one day from it, but they look the picture of Health so saying great amounts can kill you is just really about your personal body and how well it can cope/handle it.
  14. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I bet most of the people who died from this had pre-existing heart conditions, but yeah, energy drinks really aren't healthy for you due to all the sugar and stuff they put in but they shouldn't kill you unless you overdose. One'll certainly be fine unless you're really unhealthy to begin with. I'm going to stay away from them and use coffee for my caffeine did though!
  15. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

You see how there are very different answers on this board? Everyone has a different opinion and every knows someone who knows someone who did something. The truth is, you should probably consult a medical professional, because each person is different and going to interact in different ways.
  16. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

It's possible to die from consuming too much of anything. If that's your only can today, you should honestly have no problem. It's only people who are hooked to the caffeine and drink ten cans a day who are at actual risk. For the average person with average reaction to caffeine, one can should be absolutely fine. You might feel a bit jittery, but don't worry about it too much.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If you just have it once, it is just okay. Maybe those who have died because of it are consuming too much of it and there could be health issues behind it. Better that you have read about its side effect and so, you can avoid drinking it again.
  18. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Energy drink is very dangerous for heart patients as it increases heartbeats of the heart. It refreshes our mind and give energy but it is not good for health.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Like others have mentioned I don't think one will do you any harm. I think it would be more likely as a result of excessive consumption or a very prolonged use of it over a long amount of time. I also think there generally needs to be some sort of pre-existing heart condition or something, from the cases I have heard of that were reported in the media. I personally don't drink those drinks because I find they are such a big hit of caffeine and taurine and stuff like that they cause my heart to race a lot and it makes me feel anxious so I steer away from them!
  20. I am someone who has struggled with energy drink addiction. I think some of the side effects are often under reported because they can be confused with other effects on the body. There have been many times in my life where I have had at least one per day for periods of 6 months or more. I do feel that it gives extra energy and allows me to do more things when I start but I guess the body can only carry on the heightened energy levels for so long.. after a few months of energy drinks (at the rate of one per day) they stop having their effect and I am often sick and have low energy for a week or so. And I still crave the energy drinks even though they have no effect.
    Yes I feel one Monster energy drink is probably not too bad but do watch them because often they are delicious and the 'buzz' you get from them can be addictive.