An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

MONSTER energy drink

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by calicer1996, Apr 5, 2015.

1. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Drinking one will not do that much to you, but having it everyday or getting addicted to it as well can affect the health and also will casue internal problems in the body. If people have conditions like heart or lung problems and also other ones than it will be a problem this could of caused some people to lose their lives from getting addicted to this. There was a case of Micael Clark who used to drink 4 cans a day and 5 cups of coffee a days as well and was found lying down in truck and was only 35 years old and sad that he got addicted to it.
  2. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

That is so funny. You won't die from taking a can of Monster energy drink. You shouldn't take too much though. And if you have any kind of heart issue, then avoid it totally (Avoid any energy drink).
    Most people take energy drinks every now and then. So, I don't think it is something to worry about.
  3. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I hate energy drinks no of them are good for you. Real energy doesn't come from a drink or pill. It comes from taking care of your body as well as staying active.
  4. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

While I feel the same way, it's not completely true. Energy drinks work wonders for some. Not for me though.
    I thank you all who set my mind at ease!
  5. gracer

gracer Community Champion

One can of energy drink might not be a cause of alarm as long as you don't plan on taking more of it. I have taken energy drinks before but have stopped taking them for a long period of time now. It can really cause someone his/her life if he/she takes in large amounts for a given period because of its stimulant effect. Stimulants are known to have a negative effect on a person with existing heart conditions.
  6. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I personally know people who were addicted to energy drinks, which is a similar thing, and let me tell you something, it's really bad. I know for sure that there is hope for recovery and sometimes you need to be strict but don't lose hope. It's really difficult and a hard situation and it is bad for you but the thing is, you need support and love from those around you. Try as much as possible to tell others you completely trust and they don't judge you, they might really help you. I also recommend you to go to professionals that can help you with this.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Don't forget the loads and loads of sugars they add to that crap! One can everyday could make anyone get diabetes! My fiance used to drink a lot red bulls before meeting him. He just did it because he liked the taste (gross), I told him how bad those were for him. It seems he no longer drinks them :)
  8. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yeah, most people think the caffeine or other ingredients are the worst part, but forget that each of those cans is like having three bowls of sugared-over cereal - there's a lot of sugar in them things as well, which is why you need to consistently drink them or you crash. Caffeine doesn't have that effect; only the sugar in the drinks do.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, there are lots of sugar on those drinks aside from other unhealthy ingredients that might be included. Good to know that your fiance listened to you. ;)
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yeah, I think not many people stop to check the labels, they just go on and drink it. You know what my fiance told me when I told him those drinks had too much sugar and were awful for his health? He said: ''Well, if they are so harmful then why are they still being sold?''. I did face palm. lol. Some people are sooooo naive!!!
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

My son used to drink energy drinks. Monster, Red Bull, etc. I finally convinced him to stop. One of the things I had him read is this article. (Even he was alarmed by what he read. Especially the info on drug interactions, because he takes anti-depressants.) Check it out if you get a chance.

Raising a Red Flag on Some Energy Drinks

I'd rather drink water. ;)
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Same here. Or tea :)

As far as energy drinks go, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve consumed them. The taste alone was enough to turn me off drinking any more than that. And learning later about the potential side effects totally justified my decision.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

What can put your mind at ease is not drinking that crap anymore. Monster energy drink has killed people. The stuff has more caffeine in it than 7cups of coffee. I can't even mention what else is in it cause I don't know. Do yourself a favor and just try a coup of coffee. No one has ever died from Folgers.
  14. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

Calm down, I highly doubt you will die from drinking one can. However, those things are really not great for your body. Some people have died after drinking a bunch of them - LARGE amounts of caffeine can cause heart issues. The ingredients can also just make you plain old sick. I used to teach high school and one day had a girl show up for my 2nd hour English class looking a bit green around the gills. Between fighting the urge to puke, she told me how the night before she'd drank 4 Monster energy drinks and ended up being up the whole night bouncing off walls. She pretty much described feeling that morning what I'd equate to a hang over. She never tried that again!
  15. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Deano, that was really informative and insightful. Thanks for that, knowledge is power!
  16. calicer1996

Yeah, it was just a one timer. I'll never drink it again.
  17. calicer1996

Water it is for me! Thank you for that informative article. I ought to research more before I get to conclusions.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I heard that energy drinks, if taken too much, can cause harm to your kidneys because of taurine. So I drink them sparingly. It's recommended that you only drink 1 bottle per day. I sometimes drink 2, but on rare occasions only.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  19. calicer1996

@serenity, One per day is way to much for me. Maybe once a week or so is a much better alternative.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@calicer1996, I rarely drink energy drinks too, but in my case, I think it's because of the price. If they were cheap like coffee then I would stock up on them. By the way, how does Monster taste like? Is it delicious?