An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

MONSTER energy drink

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by calicer1996, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

One can is okay, once in a while. I had a classmate who drinks an energy drink every day before classes start and he is okay up to now. I guess everything should just be in moderation. And as others said, a contraindication is stated for those who have heart conditions which can make them palpitate.
  2. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

@serenity, It tasted sour and somewhat refreshing. But, yeah, the price factor is sure there. I would be stacking em up too! LOL!
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@calicer1996, I hope it's not that sour! The ones that I have been drinking taste sweet. I think I would buy one when I get to the supermarket and see for myself how it tastes like.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Only people that consume many cans of Monster or any other energy drink are at risk of heart failure. I know of a case of a young guy that drank two cans of Red Bull before a gym session and he had a heart attack, soon after. He died on the way to the hospital.

I really don't know what condition his health was in prior to his heart attack or how many energy drinks he consumed on a daily basis. I don't think folks should rely on energy drinks as a way of gaining an energy boost and lookout for healthier alternatives.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Energy drinks have helped me to get through the days a couple of times when I couldn't sleep for being studying/doing homework, so I think that if you drink one or two once in a while is not really dangerous. But I've heard that a guy drank like 7 energy drinks in a day and then he died because his body couldn't handle all those substances that energy drinks have, just be careful.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You won't die from a can of Monster, but habitually consuming it isn't good for your heart. It makes it pump blood faster, and it is not recommended to drink more than a can at once, as you may get a heart attack. I personally don't drink energy drinks at all, but I am that type of person who only drinks water and tea.
  7. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

You won't die from only one energy drink, probably those people who died because of it had a lot of it before they died. Usually it's the big amount of caffeine in it that is provoking the heart diseases, and if you combine 2-3 energy drink with 1-2 cup of coffee daily, then you'll sure end up in the ground sooner than it was planned.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There's probably a reason they call this stuff monster. This has a lot of caffeine in it. The fact that people have died from drinks like this is something to think about. I used to drink red bull many years ago but not too many of them tho. I think that I would avoid the monster drink anyway.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well Monster contains large doses of caffeine. Some people addicted to caffeine are prone to drinking several bottles of this energy drink. Worse, they drink it when they don't have proper sleep or have not eaten enough food. This isn't really the product's fault. People want instantaneous energy instead of doing their best to get enough rest.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

yes, I know the US military banned th sale of energy drinks on posts because soldiers and military personnel were drinking too many of them. It was one of the things that the military felt they had to do based on recommendations of medical personnel. I think that it was probably a good move, as too many energy drinks can cause jitteriness and heart palpitations.
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I used to be addicted to Monster Energy drinks I think because the taste was so good. It was when I was pregnant too so that's even more horrible. I'm glad I didn't have any adverse side effects. But I've never had one again because I realized how bad they are for you. I gave up soda too. But that's scary to think about. It's especially dangerous for people who have heart conditions already. It'll mess with your heartbeat. It should be illegal to put things like that on the market if it can kill people. How is that even allowed? Just horrible.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  12. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

@kgord The US Military did that? I didn't know that. I didn't know they had that power. It surely was a good move.
  13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It never came into my mind to drink energy drinks if I am feeling exhausted for whatever reason. I knew that it contains some chemicals as ingredient which might have an adverse side effects to our bodies. That is why I just sort to have some natural remedies when I am feeling weak or loss of energy.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Any energy drinks is no good at all when it becomes an addiction. I remember reading a post here about the lady addicted to red Bull and was going blind from it
  15. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I remember that when I was pregnant, I craved soda like crazy. I never even drank them when I was not pregnant yet. There's this notion out there that when you get pregnant, your cravings are actually because of certain deficiencies that you have when you still weren't pregnant. So yeah, because I didn't drink soda before my pregnancy, I craved them when I did become pregnant. Which was pretty bad but good thing is I didn't entirely become addicted to it. And yeah, my baby turned out okay too.
  16. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I call this BS. There is a lot of propaganda wherever you look on the Internet and there are also a hell lot of fake or biased articles. If there was indeed a correlation between the Monster Energy and going blind, I mean a verified one, people would have stopped drinking it and the company behind would have gone bankrupt already.
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

True you make a very valid point.
  18. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Well, I don't know if you have seen the latest Monster commercial, but their CEO is such a genuine nice person. He donates a large portion of his company's profit to charity and to research as his main goal is to save the world from poverty and sickness. I know this is offtopic, but just wanted to say that there is a good part in this addiction too.
  19. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

One can of monster will do no harm.
    But try not to drink them regularily because they are quite bad for you.
    I know a girl who drinks 5-10 a day. Dangerous. Very bad for your heart.